Multicast, MixPad and Wireless.

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Multicast, MixPad and Wireless.

This topic contains 92 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Participant

I think, maybe Wouters question has been misunderstood.

The correct translation of the answer is:
    “There are 3 versions of multicast. The needed multicast function is only available in version 3 of IGMP. If you need this function to use t-home entertain, I’m sorry, I have to tell you, that this is not possible.”

I understand this, as if the router supports versions 1 and 2, but not 3.

Greetings from Austria ;-)

Andy

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

To be clear, I never doubted Andy :-) It’s TP-LINK’s support that I doubted, and with reason. Now I’ve got another reply from the english support team.

Their answer:

“Dear Wouter,

Thank you very much for your email requesting information about our product. This is Austin from TP-LINK support group.

On the latest firmware of TL-WR1043ND, there is no option for you to turn on or off IGMP multicast, but it supports this feature. Generally, IPTV users requires this feature on the router, if you have IPTV service, then you can check the IGMP multicast by IPTV.

For any further help, please feel free to let me know. To get technical support more quickly, please go to https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq.aspx?type=2

Best Regards
    Austin Hu

Technical Support Engineer
    TP-LINK TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD.”

UPDATE 16/02/2011
    And I received another mail that confirms again:
    TPLINK TL-WR1043ND router supports IGMP v1 and v2.
    So it seems compliant to A&H requirements for multicast.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Participant

I neither doubted Andy nor Wouter :-)

I just wanted to translate the answer from TP-Link more precisely, because from Andy’s post, I got the impression, he did not understand exactly what they meant. My experiences with supports from many different companies let me think, that very often you don’t get an answer that fits to your question.

At the rare occasions, when I needed iLive support, the Austrian distributer’s support was very quick and helpful.

BTW ..I just tried an iPad with a very cheap router (multicast disabled), and everything worked perfect :-)Even if I’m no Apple fan, I think I’ll have to buy an iPad and the Mixpad app! The app is worth every € !!!

Andy

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

thanks for your explain of the multicast option, i feel informed better.

my experience with the wireless remoting brought me to the desktop remote of windows.
    i connect a stationary laptop with a wireless router together with the mixrack (wired!)
    with my tablet i use the desktop remote to remoting the stationary laptop.
    that offers control instead of just the remoting.
    i can run diffrent programs i need, like itunes, or wavelab…

greetings from hamburg

IDR 48 / T112 / Laptop

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

Well, after some further testing with my iPad 2, and having my laptop connected- the airport extreme is just not going to cut it. During my testing with the rta displayed on the laptop, I encountered many times the frequency meters would freeze while making simple fader adjustments on the iPad. Many times I would also encounter “system busy” messages while selecting different channels with the processing view of the super strip. I have multicast turned off on the rig, and turning it on will actually slow things down further with the router I am using. Changing the multicast rate on the extreme does nothing, and it can get very time consuming rebooting the router after a simple adjustment, just to learn that the last 6 minutes made no difference.
    Closing out of mixpad did clear up editor on the laptop, and vice versa, with just mix pad and no editor, made scrolling through channels with no latency.
    I did learn that many older wireless routers supported IGMP. It seems many of the top manufacturers considered IGMP belongs on a switch versus a router. I am no real networking expert, but reading many different articles suggest this to be true.
    I am certainly challenged looking at specs of many brands here in the states.
    Going to try out the Belkin this weekend.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 Surface
    iDR48 Mix Rack
    Sony F Series laptop
    Win 7 500GB HD 8G RAM
    Airport Extreme & Express
    iPad 2 and Dante soon

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

Changed course, and ordered the TP-Link. Relatively inexpensive.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 Surface
    iDR48 Mix Rack
    Sony F Series laptop
    Win 7 500GB HD 8G RAM
    iPad 2 and Dante soon

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

Purchased the TP-Link and all I have to say is WOW!

The router already had the latest firmware. Note, latest firmware supports IGMP Ver 1 & 2 (see previous post from woutert)

Addressed all wireless components on my network, iPad, Laptops, and the iLive hardware. Using DHCP, and limited the DHCP range to just the components in the network. Also using WPA-2 security, and I limited wireless connections to only connect wireless mac addresses coded.

Did a hard boot on the router, connected mixrack and powered on.
    Connected laptop to the network, open editor, clicked ok, connected to mixrack in 83 seconds.
    First thing I did was enabled multicasting on the iLive and rebooted. Reconnected Editor to mixrack, 81 seconds.
    Connected mixpad from iPad 2, 10 seconds. Scrolled through input list no latency.
    Plugged iPod into mix rack channels and sent music.
    On laptop in editor, Opened RTA window, channel processing using processing view PEQ with fill enabled, and bounced the SEL button between channels using the graph view. No system busy messages at all.

I wanted to put a bigger load on the router, so I decided to connect the ethernet cable from my T112 surface to the router.

Turn on T112, connection time to mixrack was 95 seconds (surface ready to use). Note, Using ACE connection to connect, is normally 104 to 114 seconds. I was surprised with that one.

Took iPad outside beyond walls, walked approximately 230 feet, before input meters on ipad started to freeze.

Initial tests are very positive with this router…68.00 US with shipping for me.
    This may be premature, but the airport extreme is moving down a notch.
    Very positive right now, and appreciate all for the sharing of information on these posts.

Cheers!

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND
    Dante May?

Profile photo of rreuscher
    rreuscher
    Participant

Hi all,

Purchased today also TP-Link router. Bought the Ipad2 last week so eager to connect. After instaling the router connecting worked fine. I also can control everything. Everything i do acts instantly in the editor and on the surface. So far so good. But…. I don’t have any metering, no levels no RTA, nothing !!
    I turned multicast on, in the editor. Do I have to change the multicast group adress ( its now set to default 239.0.1.1 ) to an adress in my router address-range ( 192.68.1.x ). Seems like I’m doing something wrong.

Best regards, Rene

T112 & iDR48
    Macbook Pro
    TP-Link WR1043ND
    Dante…. soon hopefully

Nothing is completly true, and even that’s not true.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Rene, you’re running into the same issue we iPad 1 owners had (this was talked about in earlier posts – have a look through all the iPad thread for more details): go to Settings, scroll down to the MixPad app, switch off and then on all the options available. Problem solved.

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of rreuscher
    rreuscher
    Participant

The Metering was already turned on default. Also multicast. After disabling and enabling multicast on the Ipad, it suddenly worked…. kind of strange but anyway it works. Thanks for the advice !!
    I noticed that the Ipad regulary looses the Wifi Connection ( The laptop with editor is also connected via WiFi ). After putting an restriction in the router for only the MAC – adresses of the MacBook and the Ipad, it seems not happen that often anymore.
    Also I noticed that after the Ipad goes in the screensaver, and then comming back to Mixpad, the metering does not work anymore. I’m still able to control the Mixrack, but the metering is gone. After restarting Mixpad the metering just works fine again. Anyone having the same experience ?

I also ordered 3 WiFi antenna extension cables so I can bring the antennas to the outside of the Rack. Hope that will give some more range.

Rene,

T112 & iDR48
    Macbook Pro
    TP-Link WR1043ND
    Dante…. soon hopefully

Nothing is completly true, and even that’s not true.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Depending on the router your wireless security can really effect performance – I’ve disabled WPA security and have it locked down via MAC addressing only and have found it VERY stable (10 hour + calls with no dropouts on the laptop), and that’s a cheap router; I’m moving to one of the above recommended routers to accommodate the new Dante card soon which I’m guessing will improve the stability even more. As far as screen lock goes, I set mine to 15minutes or off at gigs as I find if I let it sleep for long it will boot me off.

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

Hi All,

Been following this thread and learning as we go. Looking at a different angle I’d like to approach this from if I’m understanding networking better; still not real confident if I’ve got this correct. I’ve found this GS108Tv2 Netgear 8 port switch that I’d like to use on stage with all the rack gear. It’s a managed switch that has IGMP snooping v3 with the latest software. (The website is not exactly up to date in some places and makes it harder to find some info.) I’m thinking of using this with an access point.(AP) BTW TP-Link makes several high data rate AP’s and they even use POE so you could power them from the rack and then locate the AP up higher or wherever you can get good coverage of the venue.(They also have a good selection of high gain antennas that work on their gear.) The GS108Tv2 is also capable of using POE but because it’s in my rack I don’t really need to use it. The switch would serve the AP, the iDR 32, amp rack and DBX 48x processors (Monitors) through a Moxa serial port. Could even run a hard line to FOH for the small desktop if I like.

The one question I can’t answer for sure has to do with IGMP using a Querier in the system somewhere that uses a table to keep tabs on ports etc. for the multicast info and routing or something to that effect. It’s a router or switch that provides the Querier function and being many of us are just using our gear as a LAN we don’t really need a router to connect to an outside network or WAN. The exception would be if you want to tie into the Internet or other network in a venue. If anyone understands the Querier part in this and whether a switch like this should work with multicast as being discussed in this thread I’d welcome the input.

Here’s some other info on netgears site for anyone that’s interested.
    Manual The link looks to be v2 but I’m not sure the dowload is???
    Data sheet

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad soon I hope.

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

I have found no difference with or without using wireless security on my router as it relates to throughput. I am using WPA-2.
    Mac addressing all components including iPhones will insure the same addresses will be assigned to those components.
    Keep in mind, that Mac addressing will certainly insure ip assignment, but using no wireless security will make you a target for any hacker to manufacturer packets and pursued your wireless network to listen in and accept those packets resulting in declining performance of the router. Key word here is wireless. If your wireless radio is turned off, then wireless security is not needed.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND
    Dante May?

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

HI,

I also purchased the TPlink router TP-WR1043ND. I tested the ipad without multicast.
    I was on stage ( 5m away from router ) and suddenly had no response on the ipad. after 20 sec i got the message out off memory.The only thing that was also running was system settings. I restarted the ipad and could reconnect and everything worked as expected. Had the same issue some weeks earlier with an other router.
    I don’t think that wifi signal or speed was the culprit. I enabled the multicast and will further investigate. maybe its a bug.

Regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/IPAD
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Lieven – don’t even have system settings open on the iPad (First gen) Mixpad seems to need ALL the memory!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.