Recording Mix with Delay

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Recording Mix with Delay

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dgarman dgarman 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dgarman
    dgarman
    Participant

I am new to the system and have run into a routing roadblock. I am running LR from channels. I am taking a mono matrix off of this for mono FOH. I planned to use a stero matrix to generate a stereo recording but I want to add a FOH ambient mic with a delayed LR mix. I an now doing this externally with a dedicated delay and second mixer. It seem I need to send a matrix to a matrix and I believe that is not supported. Any thoughts? I realy don’t want to create a second mix with a stereo aux but I know that would work.

Thanks,

Dan Garman
    iDR48/T112; MMO; iDR-OUT

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgarman

I am new to the system and have run into a routing roadblock. I am running LR from channels. I am taking a mono matrix off of this for mono FOH. I planned to use a stero matrix to generate a stereo recording but I want to add a FOH ambient mic with a delayed LR mix. I an now doing this externally with a dedicated delay and second mixer. It seem I need to send a matrix to a matrix and I believe that is not supported. Any thoughts? I realy don’t want to create a second mix with a stereo aux but I know that would work.

Thanks,

Dan Garman
    iDR48/T112; MMO; iDR-OUT

One way to do this would be adding a group>matrix for the delayed mix..so matrix L-R recording would have the L-R main + ambient mic from grp ….FOH would have mono matrix feed only……as you pointed out you could also create a st aux and rec from there…..still better than using outboard equipment….imho

hope that helps

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of dgarman
    dgarman
    Participant

That was an early thought but I don’t think you can group LR. I will look again today.

Dan Garman
    iDR48/T112; MMO; iDR-OUT

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

That was an early thought but I don’t think you can group LR. I will look again today.

Dan Garman
    iDR48/T112; MMO; iDR-OUT

Groups can be stereo….!! but there is no need to group l&R they are available to the matrixes as is……you just need to get a group for your delayed mic at foh and that you send to your stereo recording feed as well as the L-R mains…….(.in your recording matrix you send your L-R mix)….+ the mono group from the mic delayed etc….in the mono matrix (from the L-R main ) you get to feed your foh….fairly straight forward!!! certainly don’t need to add more equipment or signal paths and signal degrading ……

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of dgarman
    dgarman
    Participant

Thanks for the responce Ray. What you propose would work except I need to delay LR not the ambient mic at FOH. LR is around 75 msec ahead of FOH ambient.

LR -> mono matrix for main PA

LR -> mono matrix (75 msec delay) for FOH Fill monitors

LR -> stereo matrix (75 msec delay) + FOH ambient for recording

I have the first two (and several other sends as this is a church) but number three has got me stuck.

The only path LR can go is a matrix and if I apply a delay to the matrix it would apply a delay to the ambient also. I believe I am have to do a separate stereo aux with a delay and I use a stereo matrix to mix that with my ambient FOH in a mono aux (as a matrix can’t see a channel). This way I have allocated 3 extra buses just to add a FOH ambient.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for listening,

Dan Garman
    iDR48/T112; MMO; iDR-OUT

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Thanks for the responce Ray. What you propose would work except I need to delay LR not the ambient mic at FOH. LR is around 75 msec ahead of FOH ambient.

LR -> mono matrix for main PA

LR -> mono matrix (75 msec delay) for FOH Fill monitors

LR -> stereo matrix (75 msec delay) + FOH ambient for recording

I have the first two (and several other sends as this is a church) but number three has got me stuck.

The only path LR can go is a matrix and if I apply a delay to the matrix it would apply a delay to the ambient also. I believe I am have to do a separate stereo aux with a delay and I use a stereo matrix to mix that with my ambient FOH in a mono aux (as a matrix can’t see a channel). This way I have allocated 3 extra buses just to add a FOH ambient.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for listening,

Dan Garman
    iDR48/T112; MMO; iDR-OUT

Although I would not delay the actual mon and FOH mixes……

It will work either way if you use groups to matrix………….add your delay to the groups not matrixes ….and use a group for the L-R stuff that needs to be delayed….send the ambient mic. directly the L-R ->matrixes…..But, assuming you are recording a multitrack mix, you may want to consider adding delay only to your “recording” feeds…i.e.L-R delayed .ambient mic no delay etc…..that way, you don’t “mess” up the live audio……or you should at least delay after the mon and FOH mixes…..just for the recording……make yourself recording groups…….to a recording matrix….all of these are still cheaper and will degrade the sound less than using external gear……..

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

How about using Output with Mains and reroute it to the desk (via cable, S/PDIF ?) send it to a group, add the ambient mic and record the group out…?

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Profile photo of dgarman
    dgarman
    Participant

I used Ray’s suggestion and it worked great. I was looking to send LR to a group and what I needed to do was send all the individual channels that needed to be recorded to a stereo group (and added the delay to this group). I sent the ambient mic to a mono group and routed both to a stereo matrix. This had the added benefit of cleaning up the recordings so intro recorded music or video feeds that go to LR are not in the recording. You also have the added benefit of diferent panning to the group than you may want to LR.

Digital coax to CD is super clean.

Thanks for the assistance.

Dan Garman
    iDR48/T112; MMO; iDR-OUT

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.