MixPad App Issues, how bout you?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions MixPad App Issues, how bout you?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mumu mumu 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of styler1982
    styler1982
    Participant

Issues aside I ran sound on the MixPad Saturday night and it was the most fun I have had mixing in a long time. How great is it to mix from the crowds perspective?

[img]https://gallery.me.com/datus/100449/MixPad/web.jpg?ver=12971280580001[/img]

Stephen Tyler
    Coordinator of Technical Operations
    ACM@UCO
    http://www.acm-uco.com
    iLive T-112/iDR-32; T-80/iDR-16; iPhone; iPad

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Nice one Stephen,
    I was at a gig a couple of weeks ago and a mate who was there (and is the technical director for the local touring arts company) was keen to get a photo of me, the iPad (at that stage only running Tweak), and the plate of finger food sitting in front of me – he thought it was hilarious to watch me mix from the crowd!
    PS Kentlowt – I noticed the Pan control disappearing on my show on Sunday, I didn’t even think about the Stereo Aux thing (I did have one up)… I’ll try that again without having a St Aux selected and see if that repeats…

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

That’s really the only think keeping us from buying a bunch of iPads to use as personal monitor controls for the band since everyone is on in ears or headphones. The custom strip is nice and seems to work well for this purpose. We were discussing avioms and other pm systems but, this has us thinking otherwise.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Biggsounds
    Participant

Much cheaper than an aviom system if you can just get enough outputs for your needs. Plus you can’t play angry birds in the band room on an aviom.

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of snoei
    snoei
    Participant

Is it possible to load, update or save a scene with the ipad app?

Biggsounds
    Participant

No, there’s no scene management yet – you’d still need editor or a surface for those duties.

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Biggsounds
    Participant

Here’s an interesting one – I used MixPad on a show last night and tried out the Custom Strips: works well except that I found that sometimes a particular strip could not be ‘double tap’ selected, although if you checked that same channel on the input strip it would select fine – this happened twice during the show (once in soundcheck, once during the first set), on different strips – maybe just a software bug in the custom strips implementation?
    It was the only downside though – this was a touring band with their own engineer & he loved the system, he didn’t put a hand to editor the whole night!

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Today I had a chance to play wit MixPad app- lovely piece of engineering. Wasn’t digging deep, most features are when they have to be.
    What I couldn’t see is scene management and i/o patching- are these features implemented?

ddff

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ddff_lv

Today I had a chance to play wit MixPad app- lovely piece of engineering. Wasn’t digging deep, most features are when they have to be.
    What I couldn’t see is scene management and i/o patching- are these features implemented?

ddff

no scene management and no i/o……

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Biggsounds
    Participant

Basic scene management & the ability to forward a stereo pfl to the iPad (a-la splashtop remote) would be just perfection!

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Or at least PFL function so any IEM system can be used.

ddff

Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

Just got the ipad last weekend, and was in the middle of a show so I couldn’t update to 1.8 and try it. Show ended last night, and spent the evening doing the update and installing the app. Once I got the router configured (RRRRRR), it fired right up. However, just as some others said, it would start then stall saying out of memory. A little quick research here, learning about stopping other services, did so and bang, it worked like a charm. I played with it for about two hours switching views/switching mixes, etc and it seems to work fine. I am looking forward to trying it out in a live setting soon. New show starts next weekend so I will report back afterward.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

hmm after playing round with the faders i was thinkin about a different approach….just an idea…have a look

https://megapeng.com/public/altfader.jpg

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced audionate is not delivering coz i am a frank zappa fan)

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mumu

hmm after playing round with the faders i was thinkin about a different approach….just an idea…have a look

https://megapeng.com/public/altfader.jpg

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced audionate is not delivering coz i am a frank zappa fan)

I don’t have an iPad yet so I have no idea how sensitive or jittery they are but that sounds like a nice addition. Or maybe even have a touch above the fader bump it up a bit or below for a bump down. A swipe in the track (not on the fader) would do a slower move down or up. Or even touch and hold for a fade.

Probably depend on how complex the code is and if the iPad has enough power for that.

Also wish I knew when the iPad 2 is coming out. I hate to buy one now only to have them discounted when the new one comes out if that happens.

Scott

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

been thinking bout it…the arrows should be at the bottom,most comfy way, it all came to my mind
    when i tried multiple faders (wich works) but is not very handy..

cheers
    dave

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.