What do you wish someone had told you?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions What do you wish someone had told you?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Biggsounds Biggsounds 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of baytonemus
    baytonemus
    Participant

I have our brand new iLive T-112/iDR-48 sitting on my desk. I have many years (decades, I’m afraid to admit) of experience with both analog and digital live sound and recording and I’m starting to familiarize myself with the iLive system. I’ll try not to be too much of a pest, but I have a couple of preliminary questions. The first one is wide open:

What do you wish someone had told you when you first started using the iLive? Tips, tricks, secrets, terminology, etc.

Also, is there a comprehensive manual available?

And one more specific question: Can your Main masters – L, R, Sub – be moved, adapted, or eliminated? This is going into a fixed installation where it will be run in mono with no subs.

Thanks!

iLive T-112 & iDR-48

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

I haven’t gotten ours yet, but yes you can change the mixer to several different Main Output routings. From No Mains to LCR+Sub, and maybe even more. I can tell you how to do it in the editor software, but as mentioned don’t have the “hands on” experience yet to tell you how to from the control surface.

And yes there is a manual. Think it’s in the Download section. It’s called “iLive Reference Part 2 Firmware”. Hope that helps.

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by baytonemus

I have our brand new iLive T-112/iDR-48 sitting on my desk. I have many years (decades, I’m afraid to admit) of experience with both analog and digital live sound and recording and I’m starting to familiarize myself with the iLive system. I’ll try not to be too much of a pest, but I have a couple of preliminary questions. The first one is wide open:

What do you wish someone had told you when you first started using the iLive? Tips, tricks, secrets, terminology, etc.

Also, is there a comprehensive manual available?

And one more specific question: Can your Main masters – L, R, Sub – be moved, adapted, or eliminated? This is going into a fixed installation where it will be run in mono with no subs.

Thanks!

iLive T-112 & iDR-48

There is a mono template…..in “mixer config”
    manuals here: https://www.allen-heath.com/ilive/downloads/documents

I think the best iLive tip would be save your mixer config , patch etc..in the first scene “save all” then save that show…use other scenes to change/update only parameters that need to be changed…..

as far as terminology …..scenes =snapshots!

secrets.: got my mon guy to connect to “mixrack only” while I connect to “surface and mixrack” keeps independent paths should one of us go down…….wi fi control is great……

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

baytonemus
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by CMattE

I haven’t gotten ours yet, but yes you can change the mixer to several different Main Output routings. From No Mains to LCR+Sub, and maybe even more. I can tell you how to do it in the editor software, but as mentioned don’t have the “hands on” experience yet to tell you how to from the control surface.

And yes there is a manual. Think it’s in the Download section. It’s called “iLive Reference Part 2 Firmware”. Hope that helps.

Thanks, CMattE! I only downloaded the Reference Guide prt1 hardware. That should help.

iLive T-112 & iDR-48

baytonemus
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by RayS

[

I’m not seeing that on the linked page. Is it maybe included in another document that has been renamed?

quote:

I think the best iLive tip would be save your mixer config , patch etc..in the first scene “save all” then save that show…use other scenes to change/update only parameters that need to be changed…..

secrets.: got my mon guy to connect to “mixrack only” while I connect to “surface and mixrack” keeps independent paths should one of us go down…….wi fi control is great……

Meaning that your monitor guide is using the iLive Editor via WiFi? You have to patch the surface to the rack with a cable, don’t you?

Thanks for the other tips!

iLive T-112 & iDR-48

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

On the page he referenced is part 2 which explains the firmware used to control an ilive system. Essentially that’s all there is to an iLive system the hardware and the firmware. Also if you haven’t already done so, downloading and playing with just the editor software helped me a lot. At least I assume it has. I’ll find out for sure once we get our system. But essentially you can tweak and try whatever without a chance of messing something up. If something goes awry you can simply close the editor and start over lol.

And yes the surface has to connect via cable. Apparently the data stream between the two is running just under 100 Mbps and Wifi is usually rated at 54 Mbps. There is a thread somewhere talking about it. Also we plan to do something similar. We’ll have a wi-fi router hooked up and laptop running the editor to make monitor adjustments from the stage. :)

Oh and great thread idea. Lets keep the ideas going. This is a great way to learn. ;)

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Regarding the wi-fi router, there’s a thread elsewhere discussing the reliability issue for editor control – if you know the computers that will be running the system and it’s a contained loop setup your router with MAC addressing so ONLY those computers can access the network and disable your network encryption (wpa etc)… much smoother operation and less chance of dropouts.
    Hint 2: buy an iPad & the MixRack app – awesome piece of kit.

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

baytonemus
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

Do you mean MixPad? Have you used or seen this? The release notes say it isn’t available yet. Also, how much is it going to cost?

Regarding firmware 1.80, is there any reason not to install the firmware update? Ours shipped with 1.71. I did notice that Mac OSX 10.5 is required to run the Editor software. Because of a couple of pieces of software that I still need to run, I have 10.4.11 installed on my MacBook Pro. What was the last version of the Editor that could run under that OS?

iLive T-112 & iDR-48

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

The mixpad app just came out. It’s showing $99 in the iTunes store. Def interested in this also.

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

quote:

[

I’m not seeing that on the linked page. Is it maybe included in another document that has been renamed?

quote:

Meaning that your monitor guide is using the iLive Editor via WiFi? You have to patch the surface to the rack with a cable, don’t you?

Thanks for the other tips!

iLive T-112 & iDR-48

Again……manuals are here :https://www.allen-heath.com/ilive/downloads/documents

in the “mixer config” page there is an option to chose M(ono) instead of L-R etc….

Monitor guy is using ILive in wi fi mode…..no cables from his editor…of course rack is wired to my surface (using ACE) and wi fi router is wired (cat 5) to the mixrack……but he doesn’t use the surface and ……the surface cam be used as a simple controller without audio going to it if need be…….(no pfl and no local i/0 but control only )

And if you want to run iPad app (mixpad) you will need to update to 1.80 and OS 10.5.8

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

baytonemus
    Participant

quote:

Again……manuals are here :https://www.allen-heath.com/ilive/downloads/documents

in the “mixer config” page there is an option to chose M(ono) instead of L-R etc….

Sorry, Ray, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant there were downloadable templates on that page that could be loaded onto the iLive. My bad.

quote:

And if you want to run iPad app (mixpad) you will need to update to 1.80 and OS 10.5.8

Got it. Still wondering though whether 10.4.x was supported for the iLive Editor at some point.

iLive T-112 & iDR-48

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

Do you mean MixPad? Have you used or seen this? The release notes say it isn’t available yet. Also, how much is it going to cost?

Regarding firmware 1.80, is there any reason not to install the firmware update? Ours shipped with 1.71. I did notice that Mac OSX 10.5 is required to run the Editor software. Because of a couple of pieces of software that I still need to run, I have 10.4.11 installed on my MacBook Pro. What was the last version of the Editor that could run under that OS?

iLive T-112 & iDR-48

Sorry, damned autocorrect!!! Yes I meant the MixPad app – I’ve got it and it is a thing of beauty. I figure for the bucks it’s the most cost efficient controller on the market.

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.