Midi Control with firmware 1.8

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Midi Control with firmware 1.8

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Steve-K Steve-K 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gerger
    Gerger
    Participant

Hello,

i have played a little bit with the new midi control function on editor 1.8

My first test was:
    opening midi control map window on editor
    klick to “add” button and set up: mute command, input 1, and press to “learn”
    after this i will press the mute button on my midi controller and the editor has detected this command (monitored as “note on” command 90 68 00)
    This test was successfully because always if im sending command 90 68 00 the mute indicator appears on channel 1 at the editor screen.

Second test:
    opening midi control map window on editor again
    klick to “add” button and set up: level, input 1, and press to “learn”
    if i move my first fader on my midi device now, then nothing happens and editor is still on “learn” mode. My next test was to monitor the midi channel during the fader movings. Im sending “pitch bend” commands for example “E0 50 0A”.

It seems the editor cannot understand pitch bend commands. But i cannot change the settings of the midi controller – it has fixed commands. Is there any other way to let the faders move on the editor screen?

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

What midi controller are you using? I’m using the cheap Behringer BCR2000 & can get levels, pans, and pre-amp gains no worries – I’m having problems getting the buttons to recognise but I think that’s my lack of MIDI knowledge (I can get it to recognise the commands on rotary encoders, but obviously having a mute set to a rotary encoder is useless!).

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Gerger – Yes Ive also found editor doesnt accept pitchbend commands. if you can’t change your controller then the only way would be to use some other software to convert the midi data before it gets to Editor. This could be done in a sequencer program (like Logic for example) or perhaps a program like Midiox? It’s probably easier to just change your controller.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of AndyH
    AndyH

Hi Biggsounds,

iLive Editor MIDI Control is only designed to work with Continuous Controller messages and Note messages. If you’re having trouble getting switches to work make sure there not setup to be anything other Note messages (they may be set to Program Change messages or something else).

Hope that helps,

AndyH

Biggsounds
    Participant

Thanks Andy, I’ll give it another go & make sure the buttons are note only messages – I’m a Midi control newbie so I’m sure it’s just my lack of knowledge that’s the problem!

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Biggsounds
    Participant

PS I’ve been experimenting with the fader tracking on/off with mixed results (sometimes it seems to work fine, while other times I get big fader jumps if I don’t have it enabled) – anyone want to suggest the best way to do this?

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

PS I’ve been experimenting with the fader tracking on/off with mixed results (sometimes it seems to work fine, while other times I get big fader jumps if I don’t have it enabled) – anyone want to suggest the best way to do this?

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Seems logical, but if you want a more in depth answer then we need a more accurate description of what you are doing. On which platform are you moving which fader and in what order…

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of Gerger
    Gerger
    Participant

OK, i have changed the midi controller now. Im using Behringer BCF2000 now, this controller als has a “learn” button, so i dont have problems with the pitch bend commands anymore.

All works fine with this controller, but now i have found a bug on 1.80 editor:

If i will change the panorama of a channel on midi controller, then the editor will recognize this and will change the PAN icon of this channel – this is OK. Also the “Midi In Indicator” on editor (on the right side on the bottom of the editor) is going on.
    But if i will change panorama on any channel on editor, then the editor will not send out any values to the midi device. The “Midi Out Indicator” on editor is not showing any action and the midi controller will not recognize anything.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Gerger

All works fine with this controller, but now i have found a bug on 1.80 editor:

If i will change the panorama of a channel on midi controller, then the editor will recognize this and will change the PAN icon of this channel – this is OK. Also the “Midi In Indicator” on editor (on the right side on the bottom of the editor) is going on.
    But if i will change panorama on any channel on editor, then the editor will not send out any values to the midi device. The “Midi Out Indicator” on editor is not showing any action and the midi controller will not recognize anything.

Update: I could swear i saw this working… but now I have the same problem…

Hello,

I’m using the BCF2000 and an old Fostex VM200 as controllers, with great succes! (THANKS A&H !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I also saw that pan settings are part of the “sends and routing” part of a scene, which I don’t include by default when I’m setting up scenes because I want my routings to be “scene safe”.

Well, we’re getting there bit by bit, this upgrade is definitely a huuuuge step forward… :-)

I would love to have the possibility to activate “channel select” buttons via midi.

greetz,
    Wouter

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

It seems that sometimes the editor is still sending out its current state. During this action, it appears that it’s nothing listening to incoming signals, which could explain fader jumps if you move your fader during this period. If you have moving faders you may feel this as the fader reacts when you try to move it.

Wouter

Profile photo of Gerger
    Gerger
    Participant

I have found out the root of the problem why my panorama settings will not be sent out from editor:

First i have set up the midi controller with following command: CC 1 1
    Then i have let learned the editor this command and it has recognized it correctly (CC 1 1).
    But when i rotate the panorama icon on editor now, then editor is not sending out these values over midi.

I have deleted this “learned” setting from editors midi map list and added this command manually with same values (CC 1 1), and now the editor is sending out this value over midi…

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Thanks Gerger!!

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Gerger

I have found out the root of the problem why my panorama settings will not be sent out from editor:

First i have set up the midi controller with following command: CC 1 1
    Then i have let learned the editor this command and it has recognized it correctly (CC 1 1).
    But when i rotate the panorama icon on editor now, then editor is not sending out these values over midi.

I have deleted this “learned” setting from editors midi map list and added this command manually with same values (CC 1 1), and now the editor is sending out this value over midi…

In Editor the PAN sending problem however returns if you close Editor/reopen. Saving the manually entered (with pan output working) midi mapping settings to a file and then reloading them also does not correct the problem. A&H – I think this is officially a bug that needs fixing. Or in Yoda speak: To fix officially a bug this is I think[:D]

I must say though – THANK YOU for the Midi implementation directly in Editor 1.80. +1 vote for adding “select” to midi control.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of AndyH
    AndyH

Hi Stix,

Yes, we can confirm that the Pan problem you have described is a bug in v1.80. We are currently investigating the issue.

Cheers,

AndyH

Profile photo of Steve-K
    Steve-K
    Participant

Hi!

Can someone give me a “Connect and Config BCF2000 to iLive for Dummies?”

Thanks! –

Steve K

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.