Config Questions for iLive 144 setup…

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Config Questions for iLive 144 setup…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Clintage Clintage 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Clintage
    Clintage
    Participant

Working on a configuration for a church I may do an install for. I’ve posed this question to A&H support, but the dude never gets back to me. So, perhaps someone here could have some insights…

Here’s the setup i’m considering:

-iLive 144 surface (possible i/o on back)
    -iDR64 for stage
    -iDR32 for FoH (dual mixrack deal)

I know I need an M-ACE card to do the dual mixrack setup. And I know I can outfit the rear of the 144 with a RAB2 and use one slot for M-ACE. My question is…

-Between the empty port on the second mixrack, and the empty slot on the RAB2 on the iLive, can I utilize both a MADI card and DANTE cards simultaneously? I want to use the MADI card to send audio channels to third-party gear, and the DANTE card to send up to 64 channels to a recording DAW. Can this be done? Alternatively, can I have 2 RAB2 cards in the iLive surface itself, and install both DANTE and MADI on the surface?

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Clintage

quote:

-Between the empty port on the second mixrack, and the empty slot on the RAB2 on the iLive, can I utilize both a MADI card and DANTE cards simultaneously? I want to use the MADI card to send audio channels to third-party gear, and the DANTE card to send up to 64 channels to a recording DAW. Can this be done?

I’m afraid only the MMO module is the only module supported in iLive surface RAB2 PortB.

quote:

Alternatively, can I have 2 RAB2 cards in the iLive surface itself, and install both DANTE and MADI on the surface?

No I am afraid this is not possible only 1 slot is available for RAB module within the Mixrack/Surface.

You do not have to use ACE modules for Dual Rack setup if You have 2 x iDR10’s both with RAB2 fitted. You could use 2 MADI cards for Dual Rack but this means you will need to run a seperate network cable for control between the mixracks. This would then mean you could use MADI Link 2 or Aux socket to send Audio out to other 3rd party devices and still have Dante in PortB of the slave rack.

Hope this helps
    Sam A&H

Clintage
    Participant

Stealth, thanks for the info. After I read your reply, I went more in-depth with the pdf’s available on the site and I see what you are saying. Sounds like using the MADI card in Port B on a surface RAB2 is a possibility through future firmware releases. Any idea if that could be done and/or will be done?

Here’s a follow-up question regarding trying to make this work with an iDR10:

-iLive144 (with RAB2 M-ACE in port A, and option of MMO in port B)
    -iDR10 at stage position with 8 xlr inputs module (64 channels of input), 1 xlr output module, and RAB2 – port A fitted with M-ACE, Port B fitted with MADI
    -iDR32 at FoH with Port B fitted with DANTE
    (iDR10 and iDR32 running in Dual Mixrack Mode)

Would that work? To have either the MADI or DANTE card in the RAB2 port B slot on the iDR10, and have the other installed on port B on the second mixrack? And could I still have the MMO card installed on the Port B on the surface and have them all available?

Thanks!

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Clintage

quote:

I went more in-depth with the pdf’s available on the site and I see what you are saying. Sounds like using the MADI card in Port B on a surface RAB2 is a possibility through future firmware releases. Any idea if that could be done and/or will be done?

This has already been requested and will be implemented depending on customer demand, though not available in v1.8.

quote:

-iLive144 (with RAB2 M-ACE in port A, and option of MMO in port B)
    -iDR10 at stage position with 8 xlr inputs module (64 channels of input), 1 xlr output module, and RAB2 – port A fitted with M-ACE, Port B fitted with MADI
    -iDR32 at FoH with Port B fitted with DANTE
    (iDR10 and iDR32 running in Dual Mixrack Mode)

Would that work? To have either the MADI or DANTE card in the RAB2 port B slot on the iDR10, and have the other installed on port B on the second mixrack? And could I still have the MMO card installed on the Port B on the surface and have them all available?

With regards to the MMO card in the surface;
    Yes. As long as you have a valid Surface – Mixrack link via Port A the MMO module will work in Port B of the Surface.

With regards to the mixrack Module setup.
    No. I’mafraid this is not a valid setup for Dual Rack. Your PortB module of your Master MixRack must match the PortA of the Slave MixRack. This is so there is a valid audio link between the Master and Slave MixRack.

Another way around this setup would be to have the following setup:

iLive surface PortA= ACE PortB= MMO
    iDR32 Master Mixrack PortA= ACE(Fixed) PortB= MADI
    iDR10 Slave MixRack PortA=MADI PortB=Dante
    (iDR32 Master and iDR10 Slave running in Dual Mixrack Mode)

The main difference with this setup is that you now only have 1-32 input sockets available to DSP channels 1-64 on the Master MixRack (iDR32), The iDR10’s 64 input sockets would now use DSP channels 65-128.
    Not the best setup for everyone, but it would work if you need it to.

Hope this helps
    Sam A&H

Clintage
    Participant

Thank you, Sam! You’ve been a great help. I would love to see the Port B expanded to accept MADI and DANTE, so I appreciate the requested feature.

This is probably the last couple of questions…

With the example configuration you gave, given that the 2 mixracks would be connected via the MADI cards, would I still have audio output channels available on the MADI to send to third-party equipment that are assignable from the iLive surface (example, I want to send drum channels 1-8, electric guitar, and acoustic guitar to specified outputs channels on the MADI card to go to a third-party personal monitoring system)? And the other question… the remaining DSP channels on the iDR32 (33-64) I could still utilize to process xlr inputs on the 144 surface, correct?

Thanks again for your help!

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Clintage

quote:

With the example configuration you gave, given that the 2 mixracks would be connected via the MADI cards, would I still have audio output channels available on the MADI to send to third-party equipment that are assignable from the iLive surface (example, I want to send drum channels 1-8, electric guitar, and acoustic guitar to specified outputs channels on the MADI card to go to a third-party personal monitoring system)?

Yes! When sending audio out of the master mixrack via port B you have all 64 PortB channels free to assign.
    Link 1 of the MADI card should go to the Slave Mixrack Link1.
    Link 2 can either be used for redundancy or to output audio to 3rd party devices. You can also set the Aux BNC to output Port B channels to go to other 3rd party devices.

And yes audio from the surface can be sent directly out of PortB of the Master MixRack too.

quote:

And the other question… the remaining DSP channels on the iDR32 (33-64) I could still utilize to process xlr inputs on the 144 surface, correct?

Yes! [:)] All Master MixRack DSP channels (1-64) can directly source any surface input socket.

Regards
    Sam A&H

Clintage
    Participant

Thank you, Sam! You have no idea how much I appreciate this info. Blessings!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.