how long is your cat-5 between surface & iDR?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions how long is your cat-5 between surface & iDR?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

and what make is it?……

RayS

R-72/iDR32

Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

I have 3: 300 feet (actually a pair run together for redundancy/backup), 50 feet and 10 feet. The 50′ is the one that came with the system during the summer rebate program. The 300′ is Amphenol, and the 10′ is just a standard garden variety Cat5e from some box store. I typically use the 300′ footer, but sometimes on small gigs where the idr stays with me at FOH the smaller ones are more convenient.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

thanks Jonathan, I was looking at getting the 300ft (90m.) proplex PCCAT5EP, and just wanted to know if there were any problems with that kind of distance……

RayS

R-72/iDR32

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi RayS

We have a list of cables that have been approved for use with ACE (I assume that you are using ACE) at the full length of 120 meters (393 feet) here: https://www.ilive-digital.com/cables.html. The Proplex cable you mention is on the list.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

thanks Jeff, I had seen the recommended cables page……..just wanted to gauge what other users where doing/using as a general touring type install……

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of ThomasL
    ThomasL
    Participant

Hey Ray,

we use 100m SommerCable Cat.6 (Mercator). Never had any issues concerning networking between iDR and Surface.

Regards,

Thomas

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

we use 100m Belden 1305A. so cheap and so strong! never had an issue!

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

thanks guys, do you use a spool or just coil it in the road case??

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of ThomasL
    ThomasL
    Participant

Spool :-) The amount of cable is too small to have a roadcase on its own and too big to just put it into another case with other cables.

Using & For Rent
    iLive T112 / iDR48
    https://www.lange-ohlemeyer.de
    https://www.lange-ohlemeyer.de/blog

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

we just roll ours….like by hand…

Profile photo of ryanlantzy
    ryanlantzy
    Participant

I have two cables I made myself. One is about 25m (80ft) and the other is about double that. They are just made from cheap Cat5e that I got at a local hardware store. I got cable that was rated for outdoor use and so far it has held up pretty well. I just keep a box of Cat5 handy and I have a crimper and ends incase something would happen.

Everyone asks, what do you do if it gets severed during a show. It wouldn’t be ideal I’d admit, but when the connection goes down the music keeps on playing, and it hasn’t happened yet. I’ve found Cat5 to be pretty durable in general, though I plan to upgrade to a heavy rubberized jacket version someday.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I have a custom multi cable – Using 50m of Sommer cable SC-Monocat 212 and it’s been great. The cable has 3 x 2.5mm power, 2 x Cat6 and 2 x twisted pairs. This one cable has provided everything I’ve needed at FOH for a variety of events. Power to FOH, iLive ACE connection, the spare Cat 6 I have used for a variety of uses: VGA Video (via suitable break outs), redundant iLive network connection to editor, Dual mixrack (stage mixrack portB to FOH Mixrack),plus I plan to use it for the Dante virtual SC feed to a FOH laptop for recording. The two twisted pair cables I have used for DMX lighting, Line level audio feeds, extra mic inputs from FOH to mixrack (T series has no mic inputs other than talkback),IR control (projectors etc)plus for Comms headset systems. Have had no issues with power interference over the same cable – even when feeding higher current power to delay amps. Cable is 17.7mm outside diameter, 100% shielding and outer case is very tough. Very happy with this cable.
    https://www.sommercable.com/2__default/index.html

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

I have a custom multi cable – Using 50m of Sommer cable SC-Monocat 212 and it’s been great. The cable has 3 x 2.5mm power, 2 x Cat6 and 2 x twisted pairs. . Very happy with this cable.

Sounds good Stix, any idea on pricing.?

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Um – not cheap but got a good deal from my local supplier – Livesound NZ. I think my price here in NZ will be irrelevant to you in Canada! Note that I made tails each end so that there is a direct ACE connection. Sommer also do some clever Hicon multipin connectors that can terminate that cable and they also do made up cable reels/ tail sets for them. A bit pricey for me and they would have needed modifying for NZ power plugs hence the reason I did my own tail splits.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.