Amatuer Volunteer Help

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Amatuer Volunteer Help

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RayS RayS 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AustinPowered
    AustinPowered
    Participant

My daughter is involved in a local amateur theater production. The entire organization is run by volunteers. Being an involved parent, I foolishly volunteered.

The theater is owned by the production company and somewhere along the way money was found to purchase a very nice sound system which includes an iDR-10 and an iLive-80.

All of this equipment was professionally installed and should all be in perfect working order. I have no doubt, someone that knows what they are doing could have this system working perfectly in minutes.

The challenge is, while I used to get paid to design and install industrial sound systems, that was back in the 80’s. So while I think I remember how to setup an analog board, this system is (as you know) completely digital.

I have downloaded iLive Getting Started Guide as well as Part 1 and Part 2 of the iLive Reference Guide. I have iLive Editor on my laptop and all systems have been upgraded to Firmware 1.71.

My question for the group is this: beyond the aforementioned manuals, is there any other documentation to help me get up and running quickly? Opening night is Friday and I am the only volunteer with any knowledge of sound systems, however dated.

The system appears to be configured but not everything works. For example, the CD player will play through the monitors but not the house and while the overhead mic’s have signal at the fader, I can’t get them to come out anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated. I noticed a very detailed troubleshooting guide for network issues. I am not having any network issues. Does something similar exist for the issues I am seeing with the sound?

Thanks,

AustinPowered

Profile photo of Geep
    Geep
    Participant

I sent you an email with more detail, but the first thing I would check is to see if your individual channels are routed to a DCA or a group send (or both). Same thing with the cd inputs, they could be routed to an aux send to drive your monitor speakers and a DCA to control the level in the mains. Use the ROUTING button and select the channel to look at routing. The DCA’s and group sends may well be down a layer or two and you are not seeing them immediately.

Geep

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

Well… where to start. First off don’t let the fact that it is digital intimidate you it works more or less the same as an analog board. I would check for a GROUP or DCA channel that the CD player level may be controlled by or routed through (in the case of a GROUP). You’re going about it the right way. The only other thing to do is find someone locally that has experience with an iLive to come by and give hands on training. I would call these guys they might be able to help walk you through it over the phone or if they have someone close by schedule some training. https://www.americanmusicandsound.com/ Dave Lewty is a great resource for iLive information there.

I would buy myself a USB stick and learn how to copy shows over to it. That way you can bring the show home with you and look at it on the editor to follow the routing, if you have the permissions to do that.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Perhaps, you could write down a schematics of what you want to accomplish…… send it to the list and ……send a copy of your editor’s show file (that’s saved on your computer’s A&H folder in your home folder if you are on a mac) ……..the list could then look at what you’ve done already and make the corrections to your editor’s show file (patch assign etc.) you could then reload the corrected file and things should be good to go……??!!

RayS

Profile photo of AustinPowered
    AustinPowered
    Participant

Awesome responses! Thank you all!

I will be at the theater tonight. The first thing I did with the system was figure out how to save a show so I could get back to the way I found it. All shows on the system were then copied to a USB stick I brought for the occasion. That done, I upgraded the firmware to 1.71 and loaded iLive Editor on my PC.

It sounds like I can load a saved show from the USB stick and edit it offline using Editor. I may take RayS up on his offer to post the file to the group.

Thanks again for the quick and very helpful responses.

AustinPowered

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Before you go further make sure you do a few simple things :

1) as your idr already contains (and boots up in) the last state used, you need to be certain when you overwrite with a new show file….so, in the given show file, save Scene 1 with the option “store all”, that way you will keep a reference of your console’s physical layout as well as assignment…….

2) boot up your editor (pc) while connected to the surface and mixrack, …..before you edit offline………so make the physical connection surface and mixrack ……get that working and then boot up the editor while connected to either one………..save a show in the editor as well as a scene 1 “store all”……there is no need for back and forth transfers between the editor and mixrack through usb keys at this point…..

Be aware that unless you load a different show file in the mixrack, the iDR will boot up in the last state used…….that could possibly mean that its latest state has not in effect been saved and might not be recalled as you remember……unless you did the scene save “store all” and updated that scene as changes are made to your session.

Generally speaking though the console seems to already be in one of the template states….LR probably (setup/mixer config/main….) so to get sound anywhere assign the on button on the channel strip and that should send to the main PA……if you need to check what is patched where, go to the left side of your editor screen select “i/o” and click on either ins or outs it should indicate what’s where on the idr………have the i/p and mix pages opened on the editor, its easier to see…….

On a side note: https://www.ilive-digital.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1288&SearchTerms=internet hummm!!??

RayS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.