ppt to convince board

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions ppt to convince board

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of abstractnoise abstractnoise 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Yeshua
    Yeshua
    Participant

Hey everyone, so I made a powerpoint to try to convince the church board to get the iLive system (hopefully soon). I’m wondering if you guys wanna look at it and make whatever suggestions or spot any errors or w/e. If there are any extra features I may have missed or a “and it does that so well compared to something else!” kinda thing…w/e…just let me know [:D]

The zip file is at the bottom of the linked page. It holds both a keynote file and a powerpoint file. The only difference between the 2 is that on one of the slides, one of the pictures bounces….so nothing major…its called “sound.zip”
    link: https://web.me.com/yeshua11/Joshs_Website/Extras.html

fyi so you have some insight into us, we sold our old building about 5 years ago, moved into a school gym, bought some new land about 3 years ago, and finally deciding to attempt to lease some place so we don’t have to setup every week. Our annual budget for the whole church for the last 10+ years have been about 100k-150k with attendance of about 50-70 in that same span. We haven’t started building yet, but we plan on having enough funds in about 5 years.

If you want anymore info, feel free to ask :)

Thanks very much!

Josh

my iLive setup:
    offline editor on mac, demo content on ipod touch
    lol

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

hey Josh, thanks for sharing with us, having been in your situation many times before I can certainly sympathize with your predicament, but, I think you are going about this the wrong way and it might backfire……..

Your presentation will simply overwhelm the layman………there is just too much information for these people to absorb not being audio savvy ……to even think that you would manage to get 20% to 30% of the entire congregation’s yearly budget is presumptuous at best……

If I could suggest another approach…..

A much simpler presentation, no analog/digital debate! you have the pic of what equipment you have next to a spanking new IDR 32-48 and a computer that’s it! replace what you are using now,…….. not what you think you will need should the congregation grow or the service’s musical guests become a bigger draw, that will come by itself, forget about what you want……for now…..you need to get them on your side first and start giving you some funds…….do talk about expansion of your system but stay the course…….what you need is for them to spend a little at a time on your system.let it grow year by year…..it also has to be a realistic portion of the yearly budget……….start with a iDR32-48 ( give them the choice of either one in your presentation 32 is still way more than what you have now) add another idr or xdr the year after or maybe a surface or digital cards for recording etc….

Put it in the yearly budget…..you’ll get a whole lot more mileage……and you wont scare them off with 120 Compressors, Gates, EQs and so on.

my two cents

all the best

RayS

Profile photo of cvbommel
    cvbommel
    Participant

I agree with RayS, too much information in your presentation. Try to put less text on the slides and make it more visual attractive.

Try to get the points clear that you need to convince the board and forget about the benefits that more or less count only for you.

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

I know this may be frowned upon by some especially since this is a site for promotion of a product you are considering but, if you are going to use this mixer with the speaker system shown in some of those pictures. I would consider getting a good well designed and installed (by someone qualified) sound system as part of that plan otherwise an iLive system will be kind of overkill for your system.

Getting a professional in to help give you guidance in this process would be of tremendous help. It needs to be done now while they are still planning. When they start building it will be too late. You need your building designed with sound in mind not just a slapped together box that will have all kinds of acoustical issues. It may work out that you can get your iLive like you want which would be sweet because it is a fabulous piece of equipment and will make a huge difference in your sound, give you a repeatable good sound because you can save your setting plus it will save on the cost of buying outboard gear that you would need to buy with an analog mixer.

Like the others have said you need to be reasonable about this. You are going to be building soon which will mean payments, maintenance etc. You may not be able to dedicate 1/4 of your annual budget to just the mixer. I might suggest an idr16 then later on buy an expansion rack or another idr and using a computer to mix from like others have said. That has some drawbacks but it makes it a more feasible feat.
    Good luck to you

FYI Our church has a normal attendance of 900-1000 and it was a tough sell to get an iLive for our church.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of Yeshua
    Yeshua
    Participant

thanks guys!

I know I’ve thought about doing the computer thing as well (get the idr16 or 32 probably), the downfall is that if I’m not there, theres no other computer to do it at this point, thats why I would be thinking of doing the r72….but for getting into the system, still a great idea….I’ve made a few edits to the file since posting it…

What I really wanted to get across is the amount of money that we would actually save compared to an equal analogue system. I know I’ll probably never use 100 inputs any time soon, nor using compressors, gates, and eqs on each channel…but making it so we don’t have to buy more gear later (except another couple of idr’s for remote areas or something…thought about one for a overflow area….)

I know its a big portion of the budget in one shot, but I’m pretty sure we should be able to expand it over a couple of years, which then won’t be too bad at all…This last year we actually raised our budget from 100k to 125k (planned for 25k going to the building fund) and its appears as though we’ll make it quite readily so I’m guessing we’ll probably raise it up again this year…and I’m finally going to get an audio budget for the first time in the churches life…which I’m requesting minimum of 1k (but will take more of course!)…gonna talk a bit about it, bring up what I’ve paid for, etc….we’ll see how that goes….

The pastor and 2 other board members that I’ve discussed quite a bit about this system actually look forward to this as I tell them what it does and such….so theres only about 3/10 of us that I’m actually concerned about trying to convince when the time comes….but we’ll see how that goes…..

Only time will tell….but in the mean time….anyone want to donate an iLive system us? [:D]

Thanks again for the comments!

my iLive setup:
    offline editor on mac, demo content on ipod touch
    lol

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

I would still pitch it as part of a complete system including design of the room FOR SOUND I can’t stress enough how important it is to have a good system in a well behaved room. It is really more important than the type of mixer you use.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

You raise some good points in the presentation, but I agree with others here that the content is too complex for the average church member. Keep it to 10 slides or less and don’t too much text/prose in the slides. I would use them as reminders or illustrations, keeping the prose for either for my spoken narration, or to keep on hand as answers to specific questions once I’m done with the presentation.

Our church council is much less interested in fine detail, and most interested in the overview of what we’re struggling with and how what we’re asking for (be it money for new gear, or a new staff member) will solve them. Technology is a difficult area in that we do not want to be the tail that wags the dog, so to speak. This makes “thought leadership” or “provision for the future” a pair of very difficult concepts to get a church to follow along with.

Also – don’t present the computer control option unless you’re really prepared to operate your live system that way. When the powers that be see that a computer costs $1000 or less, and the surface costs $3000 or more, I fear they’ll likely force you down the cheaper route without understanding what that means for those using it.

Work web: https://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: https://abstractnoise.co.uk

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.