bfc 2000 preset

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions bfc 2000 preset

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of to-pse to-pse 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Gijsbert

quote:

I’ll be testing that this weekend. I think we’ll need some kind of MIDI forwarding program to connect one MIDI in interface with another MIDI Out on the same computer. In your case MIDI In via IPMIDI and MIDI Out via the Physical MIDI interface.

Hello woutert,

What you are looking for is Maplemidi, (www.maplemidi.com), a virtual midi cable. Install on your computer and you will have 4 midi in and 4 midi out ports!

Love your work… I’ll look into that as well!

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of przemko
    przemko
    Participant

hello

I have configured BCR2000 for iLive using Learn function.

First 8 rotaries are in 4 layers, so I assigned them to DCAs, AUXes(16) and effect returns. They also work as buttons, so it is easy make them switch between -infinite and 0 dB by pressing, so it works similar to setting mute groups on and off.

Unfortunately, you cannot mute and unmute channel by pressing the same button, so you could assign separate buttons for mute on and off (you have to use note on with different value, perhaps it would be better to engage note on and note off in future MIDI implementations).

I also assigned 24 faders to volumes of first 24 channels. The problem occures when you have stereo paired two channels and still have two rotaries – when you move one of them, the level of both channels is adjusted properly on iLive, but the second one (linked) is not automaticly adjusted and stays at the same level, so if you accidentally touch the second one, the level skips. Please A&H mind that in the next release.

best regards

Przemko

Biggsounds
    Participant

I’m wondering if something like this might work for those of us trying to use the behringer with a laptop at FOH: https://www.welland.com.tw/html/usbip/204.html
    essentially I’m thinking if this would work with a USB-midi cable at the iDR end you could have the behringer at FOH running in usb mode and link without using a second computer (running maple midi or whatever)… maybe it’s wishful thinking?

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

I just got it all working! This solution however does not really like interruption of the connection so I will only use this with cable, not with Wifi. If I want wireless I think I would invest in something like WIDI. For now, though, editor and MIDI over one and the same cable.

Ingredients (all of these are needed)
    – A&H iLive IDR
    – a Egosys/ESI MIDIMate II USB-MIDI interface between the USB server and the IDR’s MIDI ports
    – a USB server + drivers installed (Sharkoon LANPort 400)
    – some meters of LANcable :-)
    – my laptop running Windows XP
    – MIDI-OX software for the MIDI port routing
    – BCF2000 connected via USB to my laptop + drivers installed

I’m not running it full duplex at the moment since it’s to easy to mix up input and output ports with the MIDI interface i’m using and therefore there’s a risk to create MIDI feedback in the MIDI-OX software which is not handled well by that software (it makes everything hang when it happens). I will be testing it also with another MIDI interface that doesn’t have the possibility of using all connectors as INs or OUTs. Might be less tricky.

By the way, I also control my DBX Driverack 260 via the same LAN connection now.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Hey Wouter – If you use Midi Yoke instead of MIDI-OX you can set it to detect midi feedback. If feedback is detected It will disable the port (temporarily) so you won’t get a laptop lock up. I set mine to Data detect mode and it works fine. You can also set the number of ports you want.

Of course all the above hardware you use just to get MIDI to/from the mixrack is a bit of a pain and introduces many potential failure points. I have requested in the past for the ability of Editor or the mixracks to have virtual or IP MIDI ports built in – would be good to eliminate hardware solutions such as yours and it would also be great to be wireless to the laptop. Here’s hoping!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Biggsounds
    Participant

I’m with Richard – the simplest thing from a user perspective would obviously be direct midi control over editor… although I’m not sure a hardware manufacturer will ever be too keen to open up the options for using 3rd party hardware controllers ;(

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

Of course all the above hardware you use just to get MIDI to/from the mixrack is a bit of a pain …

True, I admit my list looks as if I’m using a lot of stuff whereas actually it is a pretty simple set-up:

That USB server is such a small thing, my USB-MIDI interface looks like a cable, all I have to do to get things started is connect to the interface, connect the BCF, start MIDI-OX and I’m off :-)

I did some extended tests with interruption of the connection to see what it would take to get things back online after a disruption. Not that much, but more than just plugging in the cable again.

Bottomline I do agree that I think that our friends at A&H would actually benefit (sales) from opening up a little bit on the controller side, but I also see that there is some natural reluctance to doing so. I’ll definitely be checking out their iPad stuff but I also still hope for a editor that allows and supports the use of some established controller platform like the Mackie control for instance. Wouldn’t mind if they would charge something for a “connection pack” to extend the standard editor.

Would also not mind to see a decent sleek USB controller designed to be used with the editor – and maybe a external (touch)screen – attached to the laptop. Then give that USB controller a pricetag of around 2000€ to make it profitable for A&H too but still allowing the poor :-) a ok controller with decent faders and the beloved channel markers and, if possible, meters but (almost) no computer nor touchscreen built in. Then the poor :-) can all decide if they think they need a touchscreen (or use the mouse), and if so, if they want a 15″ or a 24″, whether they want a processor that just meets the required hardware recommendations or the newest processor that makes everything fly…

my 2 cents again :-)
    Well, this week, I’ll be using 8 DCA’s on faders at FOH for live finetuning of our scene controlled musical theater show. Nothing fancy but still: WOOHOO :-)

Wouter

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

@richard: by the way, how do you like the R72 so far. From which point on (in terms of mix complexity), it’s not really usable anymore?
    I just noticed a significant price drop on the R72 on my reseller’s website.

Wouter

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Hey Wouter – If you use Midi Yoke instead of MIDI-OX you can set it to detect midi feedback.

Hi Richard, As far as I could tell from reading about Yoke, it seems to me that it’s a virtual patch cable between 2 programs?
    I’m not looking for a solution to connect the MIDI out of a software program to the MIDI In of another software program, because I have no software running on my laptop (except the editor), I just need port routing.
    Can Yoke route one existing port (BCF In) to another existing one (USB-MIDI Out) without any program running exept maybe the routing program itself? I didn’t see that (Yoke and OX share the same author as far as I could tell from the website).

Wouter

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Wouter – sorry yes you are correct – MidiYoke can’t patch ports. You may however be able to install yoke ports with midi OX and patch through it to eliminate feedback? Your set up looks good to get MIDI to/From the mixrack over the LAN though! I achieve it with a second CAT5 run which is just extending a Tascam US122 USB soundcard (audio and Midi)

Re the R72 – I use it heaps on smaller shows, corporate & AV work, split FOH/mon duties, or anywhere space is at a premium. Given that at most events I need a laptop or two for other duties it’s good to have a dedicated sound only mixer. I also need all the R72 local inputs for FOH stereo sources, talkback, phones etc. I have even done a small Theatre show with strip assignments changing with scenes – you can’t easily do all that with a BCF2000/Laptop setup – and of course I can use my Mackie Control/Laptop/Logic environment if I do need extra faders. I think the BCF would be great if you just need some scene safe faders or DCA’s etc – but if you want to work with fader recalls/scenes then you will need full midi duplex without feedback – Let us know if you get that working ok!
    I’d be keen to use a BCF with editor if it could be over a wireless LAN also. I have an Apple Airport Express I can use as the iLive wireless router and this also gives the ability to wirelessly stream audio direct to the mixrack (from iTunes or my iPod Touch). Now I can play preshow/interval music from my touch and leave it safe in my pocket! I just gotta remember not to wander off somewhere out of range tho!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

… but if you want to work with fader recalls/scenes then you will need full midi duplex without feedback – Let us know if you get that working ok!

To clear things up. My setup does work indeed with full duplex MIDI and without any MIDI feedback. No problem, everything works.

To reason that I was considering not to run full duplex are:
    1. One important thing: The IDR currently doesn’t send MIDI feedback during scene changes, hence leaving you with incorrect fader positions after a scene change. Therefore currently MIDI feedback is only useful for faders that might be changed from several places and that are scene save.

2. For what I’m doing at the moment, I don’t need the MIDI feedback, since the BCF will be the “master fader” for those 8 DCA’s. I’ll never touch them during the show from anywhere else.

3. The cheap faders on the BCF make a lot of noise when they are moved automatically. You get what you pay for (125€ is indeed not a lot)

4. For doing Port routing using USB interface you have to take into account that both BCF2000 and MIDI interface are USB peripherals. If you connect them in another order, they will be assigned other port numbers in MIDI-OX. Therefore it’s tricky to try to save a port routing profile in MIDI-OX since that software looks at the port numbers to do so. You may want to connect everything always in the same order to avoid changing the routing profile every time you use MIDI-OX. Not really fool proof, but I think I will be able to remember.

5. Furthermore my ESI MIDI Mate II interface has two connections wich both can be used as IN or OUT (you can use IN-IN, IN-OUT, OUT-IN or OUT-OUT). If i both use them as OUTs, I have zero risk for an incorrect connection (both connection are plugged into the IDR, at least one of them is connected to the MIDI IN of the IDR :-) ) making at least that connection fool proof… I like “fool proof” :-)

Hopes this post clears things up a bit. Bottom line: BCF2000 and full duplex MIDI over LAN works…

Wouter

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

All makes sense! I’m a bit slow as I knew all about the iLive scene recalls not sending midi update data. Oh well – another feature we can wish for.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of to-pse
    to-pse
    Participant

Hi guys,

I just wanted to give you guys a short pointer to the rtpMIDI-driver
    I have developed for Windows:

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/rtpMIDI.html

This driver works on systems with Windows XP up to W7 both 32 bit and
    64 bit.

The best thing is that it is compatible to the network-MIDI integrated
    in each Mac since OS X Tiger.

So you can use this driver to connect your Windows-PC to Mac DAW-
    Workstations. Since network-MIDI has also been introduced into iOS
    4.2, you can also use it to connect Windows-PCs to music-apps on
    iPhone and iPad…

Best regards,
    Tobias

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.