Using iLive for mixdowns.

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Using iLive for mixdowns.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of selfmade selfmade 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of havana
    havana
    Participant

I record my multi-track sessions using Cubase 5, an iLive 80 and a Digigram LX6464ES card.

I then send the individual tracks back through the iLive for the mixdown.

For mixdown I could use my software plugins in Cubase and also the dynamics, eq and efx on the ilive.

I then send a stereo mixdown (via stereo matrix) back into Cubase.
    My monitors are also fed from the stereo matrix which gives me an exact idea of whats being mixed.

At the moment I’m experimenting a lot for the best mix.

a) Mix in Cubase
    b) Mix on iLive
    c) Use a bit of both

If anybody out there is using a similar setup, I’d love some advice on the best option to take.

Thank you all.[:)]

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

BIG minus = no automation!

greetings from hamburg

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Selfmade

quote:

BIG minus = no automation!

You could use the MIDI inplementation in iLive to control fader levels & mutes to do automation in cubase. Just an idea [:)]

Sam

Profile photo of havana
    havana
    Participant

I have been using the automation in Cubase but I also like how I can add a bit more gain using the iLive preamps.

So option C seems to be working at the moment.

Profile photo of grahamwhite
    grahamwhite
    Participant

Yes you can use MIDI automation for the console however it really only works for mute/pan control.

If you do fader automation the iLive glitches quite badly and does not give smooth fader movements. In some cases it wont even recognise fader movements.

http://www.TotalLiveSound.com

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

And Scene recalls via MIDI work also – certainly not sample accurate though! If you have many automated fader movements happening at once then thining the MIDI data stream might help.
    I would have thought the compression/EQ/Effects etc already in cubase (or third party) would provide good results without the hassle of trying to integrate i/o and automation with the iLive.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of havana
    havana
    Participant

quote:

I would have thought the compression/EQ/Effects etc already in cubase (or third party) would provide good results without the hassle of trying to integrate i/o and automation with the iLive.

Actually they do. I’d still prefer to use real faders though, If only I could get auomation to work.[:D]

Are there any tutorials on midi setup available?

Cheers!

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

come on guys!
    i tried the automation via midi…that´s far of comfortable!
    in my mind, there´s no automation on usefull parameters, like eq or compression…

greetings from hamburg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.