POLL: What do YOU put in an average scene?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions POLL: What do YOU put in an average scene?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Hello,

Since scene management is the topic of a lot of discussion. A question to all users. What do you put in scenes if you use them?

For me, it looks like this.

ONE scene with “Store all”, to set-up the entire system, monitor settings, processing on channels, EQ, the whole lot…

SEVERAL scenes with only:
    Mutes,
    Fader levels,
    Sends and routing

… for the channels I use.

My wish would be if I could exclude certain or all monitor sends from that and also routing as I do not intend to change those using scenes (too tricky).

Does anyone of you regularly use STRIP ASSIGNMENT in scenes during a show?

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

I do mostly theatre work, and mine is basically the same.
    Scene 1 is called “setup”, it stores all set-up, monitor settings, EQ, etc. Everything is muted here.
    Scene 2 is what I call “Preshow”-its where I do pre-show mic check, line check, etc. Everything is started muted here so when the system is started, I never get any unexpected issues. In that Pre-Show scene, everything is set basically where I plan to start the show, so I have no surprises. For instance, this is where all the mic-pres are set, then scene safed, so if a performer is overly loud/soft that particular night, I can quickly adjust it and know its good for the rest of the show.

Scene 3 is always “Music only” where once we are ready to open the house, pre-show music is played.

Scene 4 is always “Orchestra only” once we are ready to start the show. The pre-show music is always muted here, and stays that way until Intermission Scene.

Scenes 5-whatever are scenes with individual fader movements, any special effects that need to come on, etc. If a performer changes character name, each scene will reflect the character name in that particular scene.

Intermission Scene where everything is muted except piped music.

End of show” scene is post show piped music, with all all inputs off so that if I forget to recall Scene 2, I still get no unexpected surprises.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

On this show, I have 42 scenes, a mixture of live orch in the pit and pre recorded sequences…….

As with lawbass61, I have a “master” scene with everything in it…..booting up with all mics muted…..I reserved scenes 99 and 100 (assigned to softkeys) as mute/unmute buttons…….the other scenes (all midi triggered from a Cricket/Qlab rig) contain only changes pertinent to that event, such as eq changes, dynamics,fx fader levels etc..

I use an R-72…..so yes the strip assignment is a must……..I do have an editor running on a laptop at FOH showing everything just in case but its nice to have all the control at your finger tips …….I will do this again on an upcoming show where I will max out the surface so, technically same show but with podium (lectern) mics added for pre show ceremonies, (my new scene 101…. same as sc1 but with a different strip assign for the podiums mics)…..as soon as I launch scene1, the podium mics are gone from the surface and replaced by my recorder returns …..

RayS

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

my first 20 scenes are reserved for pl 6 functions
    then i have a so called “reset” scene (flatten console strips are numbers again)as i work 90% with mic amp split (30 channels front,30 channels monitor)
    maybe my console layout: layer 1 all inputs – foh, layer 3 all monitor channels, the layers in between i use for whatever. This is done like this for babysitting (engineers who dont know the console)
    works fine.

i have 1 prepared scene wich is called moni only (mix sends of channels 31 to 60) eqs of those and so on. as soon i have a monitor situation ready to store i copy this one to my wanted number and hit “update scene”.kepps it slim. this i use only for “productions” i mean for bands i work often and have time to go further into their show.
    and of course ,for this case, a front only,where everything wich is in the moni scene is excluded.

for little festivals (if there is time for soundcheck for more than one band)i make “store all” scenes for every band,then once the crowd is in and the front eq readjusted i put the master faders into scene safe mode.

and last but not least i have one scene, where everything is muted, only deejay channels are on (for aftershow deejay) and there i have a trick: two mono matrixes named left and right in the coulour of my my real masters-the “real masters” are hidden (not visible in any layer)with limiter on[;)] – i can go home and the deejay thinks he is running full power heheh

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced there is a yamaha conspiracy against the release of the dante )

Profile photo of Bob-Bickerton
    Bob-Bickerton
    Participant

Currently involved in Blood Brothers, which is the first musical I’ve set up and operated myself using the iLive (though I’ve set up three shows for other operators).

Consequently, I’m probably being overly cautious at this stage!

My overall settings are saved as a ‘show’ and these are updated with different show versions periodically.

In terms of scenes I’ve set up a pre-show – everything muted, then band, then a series of scenes opening/setting levels on channels as required.

Regarding the band, I decided that any prescribed channel parameters (EQ, compression, etc) would probably remain constant during the show. Same applies to vocal radio mic channels, but perhaps more importantly, I didn’t want to save vocal mic eq and pre-amp settings in scenes in case we had to swap out a mic, or if the capsule was positioned differently on an individual and an entire show ‘tweak’ was required..

Consequently I set up a generic show scene to control input channel faders and mutes (not including effects returns – which I wanted to retain live control over). I then copied this generic scene through the show and ‘updated’ it to reflect each different scene. (Which is where my request for a ‘scene parameter preference’ option would seem less clumsy.

Running through technical/dress rehearsals I’ve adjusted the mix, both for radios and for band and updated scenes as I’ve gone. So during the show, my mix is just about there and I’m tweaking from a good starting point.

I think in future and with more preparation time, I’d look to automate effects returns and parameters and monitor sends.

Bob

Home Page

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Bickerton

Consequently I set up a generic show scene to control input channel faders and mutes (not including effects returns – which I wanted to retain live control over). I then copied this generic scene through the show and ‘updated’ it to reflect each different scene. (Which is where my request for a ‘scene parameter preference’ option would seem less clumsy.

Bob

https://www.bickerton.co.nz

Hi Bob – “Scene parameter preference” Yeah this has been requested by many other (mainly theatre) users and is definitely required! I called it a “Scene save library” – call it what you like but we certainly need a more flexible scene save system! I’d like to see something like save buttons in addition to the existing “Save All” & “Update” – such as have a couple of Custom nameable Save buttons – User Save 1, User Save 2, All I/P Levels, 1-32 M&F, …. etc etc – with each of those buttons representing a custom save parameter library. Heres hoping.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

hmm one can do that with “prefab” scenes – definetely i would like to have a improved scene editor (full size screen on computer and so on)

although i see why you guys want scene preferences ( in a theather with severeal techs woking on the console).

as well i thought about scene editor a different view option – more like excel style – where one can define rows – and move the scenes around within –

the numerical solution seems very limited to me.

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced there is a yamaha conspiracy against the release of the dante )

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Yeah using “prefab” scenes works and thats what I do – but when you do shows with around 100 or so scenes it’s a lot of copy/pasting. Try copying one scene to 100 “prefab” locations – you will find even with multi select it’s not a quick process. Then if you want just the odd scene to save say just certain parameters you can do this manually – or have another “prefab -no2” scene which you would then need to find, then copy to the correct scene location, then update. With fast moving theatre rehearsals thats not fast enough to program.
    I have also previously suggested a scene “preview” mode which would make theatre programming much easier – i.e the abilty to view a scene (virtual) and edit/save it without it being the active scene. Perhaps a “preview Flip” like the GEQ flip or even if this could be done in a special laptop Editor mode? The name “Editor” would make more sense then.
    Don’t suggest connecting in offline mode as programming online (Surface) and offline (Editor) at the same time means you are working on two different show versions that can’t merge programmed changes.
    I have a dream…

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.