Connection Lost

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Connection Lost

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Piehead Piehead 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Piehead
    Piehead
    Participant

Hi,

Having some connection issues at the moment. I suspect it’s a cabling problem but I thought I’d post this and see what help/advice is avialable.

I’m running a T112 at FOH and an iDR48 at the stage. A Cat5 cable connects the two and this is terminated at both ends at sockets. Two short cat5 cables then connect the iDR at one end to it’s socket and the T112 to it’s socket at the other end. These two cables have been replaced but the problem persists.

What happens is that a Connection Lost message appears on the touch sceen and I normally click Retry and that solves the problem (better not to have the problem but there we go). This past weekend I tried this and ended up with the desk not functioning and the touch screen was showing the paramaters of the channel I was working on (in this case the channel for a tie mic). I had no means of getting out of this situation unless I turned the desk off. I did not want to to this as I was recording directly from the surface to a CD recorder and the recording would have stopped. I was then in a situation where the band came back on and all of their channels were muted! I had to turn the desk off, temporarily lose the recording and turn the desk back on. During this time there was no PA apart from the Tie mic.

I am also having problems connection wirelessly so I was unable to connect by laptop or iPhone to help with these problems. I was able to connect both the previous day during soundcheck but not on the day that the wired connection was lost.

Can anyone offer any help here?

Thanks

Piehead

T112 + iDR48

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Try connecting directly from the surface to the mixrack. The joins you have are most likely the cause of your problems. If you have even a small area of cat5 that is untwisted it can cause problems. Other than that try replacing the complete cat5 cable with a recommended type

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of Piehead
    Piehead
    Participant

Thanks Richard,

When you say untwisted are we talking about within the cable itself as apposed to the connections to plugs or sockets?

I think standard Cat5 has been used for the main run, is this not correct?

Thanks

Piehead

T112 + iDR48

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Piehead, is the instaled cable part of the building infrastructure? What length is it ( it can be checked with a CAT5 Cable tester in situ (Fluke micro scanner or equivelent type)).
    My experience is this is usually the cheapest possible cable usually installed with very little care, I have the same system you describe of using patch cables to attach to drums and this seems to work quite well though I do use Neutrik Etherflex cable on the drums and Stix is quite correct there is a list of reccomended cables for use (on the A&H website) for use with both ACE and Ethersound.
    I too would connect the surface to the rack directly as a test first, I would also be tempted to install a dedicated link using good quality carefully installed cable, I would suggest you use cable designed for “deployable use” like Etherflex, CAT Snake, Tour CAT this may seem a little excessive but tour grade cable usually is more forgiving sadly also more expensive.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I was referring to where the connections are made but it is also important how uniform the twists are within a CAT 5 cable. With lots of rolling up the twists can become affected over time on low grade CAT5 You can use standard CAT5 cable for shorter runs but are best to use recommended/ ruggedized cable for anything longer than say 50m – especially if you are rolling it up each gig. Just as a matter of interest – what type of plugs/sockets have you used? You need to stick to quality network cabling standards.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi

Just to clarify, the approved cable list on the A&H website is for ACE only. EtherSound has their own cable list, which you can find on their website. Also please note that TourCat is not on our approved cable list.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of Piehead
    Piehead
    Participant

Thanks everyone, I’ll run some more tests this weekend and see how we get on.

Piehead

T112 + iDR48

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.