Two usability questions…

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Two usability questions…

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mumu mumu 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

1) Can an iLive board be configured by default to solo an input channel as PFL (on headphones) but solo DCA grouped faders post-channel-fader?

2) Can an iLive board have a software option switchable such that navigating away from a selected channels’ layer automatically deselects the channel to prevent confusion?

I’d want it switchable so that when I’m in soundcheck/setup mode I can keep the usual mix routing options open, but then lock it down and only affect a channel I can see when I’m in “show” mode.

Thoughts, anyone?

Work web: https://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: https://abstractnoise.wordpress.com

Profile photo of grahamwhite
    grahamwhite
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by abstractnoise

I’d want it switchable so that when I’m in soundcheck/setup mode I can keep the usual mix routing options open, but then lock it down and only affect a channel I can see when I’m in “show” mode.

Why would you want to restrict operations during a show? Please could you go into a little more detail of what you want to do.

At the moment it sounds like you want to avoid the possibility of accidentally adjusting a parameter on the wrong channel during the show. Is this correct?

This is something that is possible to accidentally do on every mixer console, even analog desks. You dial in more LF on that snare only to find you’ve got your hands on the Aux for that channel or the LF for the second snare etc.

Its something that is easier to mistakenly do on a digi board but you just have to ensure you hit the “SELECT” button for the appropriate input / channel / group / output before you make any adjustments.

We’ve all been there before!

http://www.TotalLiveSound.com

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

kinda autotune for engineers …..i ll buy it and start drinking again…..

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced there is a yamaha conspiracy against the release of the dante )

Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

The problem comes if someone has just selected something on “channel 1” of Layer B, then switched to layer A. They then unmute a vox mic and hit the EQ, forgetting that they needed to change the selection first. Why not have an option to deselect the last channel when they left its layer? Even if nothing else is selected, at least the blank EQ LED’s will be an indicator to select something – much more intuitive for at least half my team!

Well, for me, it’s not a problem to have everything available as it comes out of the box. It’s quite easy for me to “know” that I need to select a channel before changing anything. But that logic doesn’t always work in the brains of new users, who would find it un-necessary, or get confused when the hit the select button anyway and then find they’ve actually deselected the channel in error.

Some users of our board have never mixed sound before, and likely never will do again once they leave employment with us in a year or so’s time. The iLive has been a wonderful and safe platform for them to learn and work on, but of course anything I can do to help make things easier/less confusing/less error-prone for them is a Good Thing™. If *I* make the mistake then I know enough about how to get myself out of the hole. Not everyone does, and we “pro’s” would do well to remember it and adjust our attitudes/expectations accordingly.

Work web: https://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: https://abstractnoise.wordpress.com

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

You maybe have a valid point for these sound novices but most of the BE’s know they have to press select first. On the other hand wat to do with novices and even BE who forget to put the compressor/gate/limiter ON if they want to use it [:D] .They keep fiddling with the controls while i stand behind there back just to see that the damn thing isn’t turned on. [:I]. of course i politely point it out

regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

i think it is a good idea but it would need to be a feature (possibility to switch it on/off)

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced there is a yamaha conspiracy against the release of the dante )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.