sick ird 48

This topic contains 30 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Allen & Heath Product Support Allen & Heath Product Support 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of deltamax
    deltamax
    Participant

hello all, i have all 3 of the t series surfaces & stage racks,i had my first problem last night with my t112 + ird 48 stage rack.when i switched it on a message came up saying stage rack boot failure leaving me with no console,luckly the dealer i bought it from was only about an hour away and was able to bring me a replacement.im thinking stronly of selling the lot and going back to analouge boards.
    has anyone had anything like this happen to them.
    i have 2 digico console that also have me hassle,however my 3 yamaha,s have been very relilble with no trouble what so ever.
    i m very nervous about using theses mixers in the future.

deltamax

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I haven’t but would like to know if you get to the bottom of the cause! Assume they are all on the same firmware version? Did you try another network cable or the network reset switch’s or any of the T series reset procedures? There is a PDF available for this from Tech support. Best to contact them anyway but please let us know if you find an explanation as to why this has happened or if the reset procedures recover the system. I don’t have a dealer an hour away!!!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of Tonmike
    Tonmike
    Participant

The same thing happened to me too and it was a defective motherboard. The German service has solved the problem quickly and easily, and since I never had another problem with the console.

But this happens also with other manufacturers and it is always bad for the one to whom it happens.

I even bought a second IDR and a R72 and I have never regretted it.
    Don’t worry about that, when many units are sold, you may find a defect sometimes.

Profile photo of Geddy
    Geddy
    Participant

Looks like there’s a problem with iDR48 and firmware release 1.71. After having Firmware 1.71 successfully loaded, and worked with some T112 stored shows, tonight the system died after loading a show prepared with mac editor 1.71
    Fist failure were dead audio inputs while new show channels in surface were already loaded. After powering down and rebooting iDR48 and T112 the message “boot failure iDR48” came up.

Hope German Service can fix the faults quickly.

brgds Gunter

Profile photo of aqstyk
    aqstyk
    Participant

hello
    I have the same problem but…
    I have problem that during the show my board is stop playing any sound. I have select any channel and the gain reduction on compressor and limiter are fully red to the end and have no input signal. I have reboot the system and surface cannot link to IDR and i see the text “idr mix rack boot failure”. My mixer is now in polish service and i am waiting for the reason what happend.

Mario from Poland

PS. Service in Poland is great. They bring me an backup mixer and IDR for my show :) THX Konsbud Audio!!!

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

that´s completely over the top…
    an analoge-board has it´s own weak-points, like powersupply and outboard equipment and defect´s caused by old age!

in the digital world you´ve to accept that the systems may be instable. my experience is that yamaha products are not more reliable than other digital boards.

so, the general way back to analoge boards, in my mind, is defenite the wrong way!

greetings from hamburg

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

I owned a yamaha LS9 and is was very stable[:D] BUT that was only because they didn’t change the firmware for 3 years. Still version 1.1x [:(] I remember the recent firmware upgrade on the MC7and there were also bugs and lockup’s. At least A&H listens to us and make efforts to upgrade constantly. I rather have new features with minor bugs than no upgrades at all.. Just look from where we come. I tend to always wait a few month before installing a new version.

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

That also discounts the many users who have had little to no issues at all. You were probably just unlucky and got a bad idr. It happens… even with Yamaha. What is more important is how the company responds to the problems not every company will respond as well as A & H has.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of deltamax
    deltamax
    Participant

i still have not had a reply on what happened to my ird48 mix rack from my local allen&heath dealer on what caused my rack to fail.i learned a valuable lesson,on going out with out a back up desk.as far as i know i had version 1.70 and had been using it for nearly a year without any trouble,it was the sudden shock of being miles from base and having NO desk.im 30 years in the game and i took a chance on allen&heath hoping thier reliability issues would have been sorted.
    i will carry on using these desks,but ill make sure to have my midas venice 160 at hand.
    as soon as i get news on what happend to the rack i will let you all know.

deltamax

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Stink! My IDR48/T112 (V1.70) just failed with the exact same symptoms as Mario’s(aqstyk)post. After startup there was no audio and selected channel Gain Reduction meters were on full. Then when the system was rebooted I just got a mixrack Boot error. NOT GOOD!! Happened at the start of a Festival and had to abandon the iLive and go analogue.

I would suggest to all iLive users (as Deltamax already has) to have a backup mixer with you until A&H can find a cause/fix for this unexpected catastrophic system failure. That makes five users in this thread so far (myself included)with a mixrack boot failure. It would be interesting to know if it’a a specific hardware model etc – Tonmike/Mario – what are your systems and firmware versions?. Mine and Gunters are IDR48/T112 on firmware V1.70 and 1.71
    Lets hope it’s something that can be sorted – very soon!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of Tonmike
    Tonmike
    Participant

I don’t think it has to do with the software version.

In my case it was also a IDR48/T112 and happened just two months after buying, in october 2009. Software was 1.5 or 1.6 at this time.
    The motherboard is located in the IDR and after replacing it, the system works fine.

cheers Mike

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

A&H,

I also have an IDR48/T112. Should i be worried ? Is it safe to upgrade to V1,71?
    I have one of the earlier models
    Stix, could you solve the problem by reinstalling the firmware after hardware reset (A&H issue 7 )

Kind regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

This from Tech support:

Sorry Richard but the MixRack boot failure and the symptoms you have are terminal. The rack needs a new DSP PCB part code 003-797. You will have to continue using another mixer until this PCB has been replaced. There is no repair or reset that will get it running again.
    Please contact your supplier or our distributor for your country from the link ……

Now there are alot of ilive systems out there- and this might only happen to a very small number of them – but if it happens to you then you are dead in the water. Have a back up Mixer plan, and back up your important shows/scenes regularily to USB!
    Perhaps we all need a redundant mixrack as a backup? Oh well sh..t happens. I’m just glad I wasn’t in a theatre production at the time.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

This from Tech support:

Sorry Richard but the MixRack boot failure and the symptoms you have are terminal. The rack needs a new DSP PCB part code 003-797. You will have to continue using another mixer until this PCB has been replaced. There is no repair or reset that will get it running again.

How common is this? what’s the possible cause? is it the same problem for all 4 posters?…….as a possible solution, is the part “DSP PCB part code 003-797” field replaceable??

thanks

RayS

Profile photo of aqstyk
    aqstyk
    Participant

In my case main board of IDR is fail. Service chenge this and now is OK. Strange… but happen sometime :(

Mario from Poland.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.