inputs drop suddenly

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions inputs drop suddenly

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of siro siro 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of James-pel
    James-pel
    Participant

I’m running two iDR16’s connected via cat5 and the ACE card, a tablet pc, and a PL-6 on each iDR. My problem is that the input levels on the slave iDR will suddenly drop down all the way (-inf) without being directed to do so. Why is this…and how do I fix it??? Both PL’s and the tablet will allow me to raise the levels back up, but several seconds later they drop again. It seems the problem is ONLY on the slave iDR inputs (so far), and it does not happen all the time. Any suggestions?

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi james

When you say the levels drop out do you mean audio, meters, faders or a combination of these?
    Have you tried replacing any of the cables? And do you get any ACE QOS warnings in the event logs?
    Are you running the same firmware on all units?

Regards
    Sam A&H

James-pel
    Participant

Sam, thanks for the response. It’s all of the above…I can set levels with the PL or the table PC but the audio, meters and faders all drop (while I’m watching the screen). The audio cables are fine. I’ve swapped them out several times and had the same results. I have not had any ACE warnings and I’m running the same firmware on all units. I’m guessing its a cat5 problem, but I’m not sure. I’m well below the max cable length of 100 meters and I’ve replaced the connectors once already with no luck. The cat5 cable was run carefully with no kinks, major twists, bends or breaks. Could it be the type or brand of cat5 connector?
    Thanks!

-James

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi James

This is very strange behaviour which needs proper investigation, there is a possibility that this could be cable related but i am not sure.
    Would be an idea to change CAT5 cable to check.

Please contact A&H Technical Support with a detailed description of your problem and setup (how everything is connected) along with a show file and event logs.

https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/

Regards
    Sam A&H

James-pel
    Participant

Sam, thanks for the input. I was able to get through to David Mitchell yesterday and he was a bit stumped as well. He suggested a couple things to try and is also forwarding my issue to A&H UK. I’ll keep posting until I resolve everything completely. Thanks again for your help!

-James

James-pel
    Participant

update.
    I discovered today that removing the pl6 on the slave idr makes the input/ level dropping problem stop. This obviously narrows down the problem but does not fix anything. I tried swapping the pl6 on the master with the pl6 on the slave and that did not work. the entire system works great with no pl6 on the slave, but the ideal everyday use will be without the tablet pc. does this make any sense to anyone?
    thanks!

-james

James-pel
    Participant

Final resolution! Turns out the electrictian who installed the master on/off switch managed to wrap his 110v power line around my CAT5 cable (this was hidden underneath a cement platform so it wasn’t easily noticable). Once I untangled everything, the system worked perfect!

Profile photo of tcacfoh
    tcacfoh
    Participant

60 hz was the cause?

The Church At Covington Front Of House

Profile photo of siro
    siro
    Participant

Was the cat5 cable shielded?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.