dante vs rocknet

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions dante vs rocknet

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

thats it has anybody a more detailed idea why i should get dante or “better” rocknet (including communication with other systems such as studer yamaha and so on)
    some pro and cons would be very interesting

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced there is a yamaha conspiracy against the release of the dante )

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

As I understand it the rocknet platform is still hardware based right? I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it, and what sort of gear you’re expecting to work with (I’m after something pretty straight forward – basic bi-directional audio to PC for recording etc so Dante seems the best option for me)… hold the line Dave, November isn’t that far away!

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

thanks that does it-rocknet means more gear….nogo for me..and there are more and more companies signing up dante (labgruppen and so on)

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced there is a yamaha conspiracy against the release of the dante )

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

just stumbled over this video- customisable mixer for the aspen device this is indeed VERY cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0S8-1U558&feature=player_embedded#!

cheers
    dave

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mumu

thats it has anybody a more detailed idea why i should get dante or “better” rocknet (including communication with other systems such as studer yamaha and so on)
    some pro and cons would be very interesting

For me, Dante is the future, Rocknet is not, not at all.
    Why?

Well,
    1. Because Dante is based on IP standards and Rocknet is not!
    2. Because the Dante card includes a virtual soundcard and the Rocknet card does not!
    3. Audinate made it clear that they will offer an upgrade path into AVB (the IEEE standard for the future) and rocknet does not!
    4. There are even more reasons, but this is already enough for me…

Want more reasons why Dante seems to be the future?
    Rocknet seems to be limited to 160 channels of 48kHz 24bit… now check out Dante: “For audio with a sample rate of 48kHz and a bit-depth of 24bits, 512 x 512 audio channels can be sent over a single 1Gbit/s link, giving a total of 1024 bi-directional channels. For 96kHz 24bit audio the channel capacity is halved.”

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

now this is covincing-thanks for the info

cheers
    dave

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

The Aspen thing was interesting – I wonder how many companies would follow that path? You can imagine something like that being very popular with forum users (pro users swapping custom templates and the like)… Me, I’d just be happy at the moment with the promised iPad app (I bought an iPad last week in anticipation – even using Tweak on it is more fun than the iPhone!)!
    Dante does seem to have the edge as Wouter says – the use of standard IP protocols is just a winner of an idea – relying on external hardware to perform conversions and transfers on data which is already digitally outputted seems a bit daft when you think about it, the less things I need to carry, and the less pieces that can go wrong seems like common sense to me!

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

I was wondering if it is possible to do this in an IDR32 equipped with a DANTE card:

I have 32 channel analogue inputs.
    I’m recording 32 channels from direct outs(after preamp) with one laptop.
    Another laptop on the same network is running waves multirack.
    So you know where I’m going from there. Can I duplicate direct outs to send to the laptop with multirack? I can always return to 33-64 whatever needs to be returned…

Will it be possible?

IDR32
    Motion computing LE1700
    Where is my DANTE & iMonitor?

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

@letmefix: it seems that this will be possible, check the Dante FAQ

https://www.audinate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=197&Itemid=190

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.