iLive over the internet

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions iLive over the internet

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kentlowt kentlowt 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of guyharris
    guyharris
    Participant

Hi!

I run a club with an iDR installed. Connecting via a wireless router is no problem at all.

However, is there anyone who has any experience of running this connectivity from the internet?

If so, how does it work, and do you have any problems? From a blog, I’ve seen that iLive needs at least 1.4 Mbit/s ‘up’ to display all necessary data, but obviously, you don’t need much ‘down’ to adjust basic settings remotely.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

http://www.pianojam.nl

Profile photo of frank
    frank
    Participant

The biggest problem will be that the communication between mixrack and editor is using many different TCP ports. Therefore, you will need public IP addresses for both mixrack and editor-laptop without firewall. For the mixrack, this is not very smart :) You could use a router that forwards everything to a public IP address to the mixrack on the internal network. It would be an interesting thing to try :)

If you want to connect the surface over Internet, you will run into problems with the ACE connection. This basically means that you can connect the surface, but you will lose the local audio i/o (and pfl).

Frank

IDR32, PL10, Dell Latitute XT tablet
    Our adventures with this setup: https://gonnagles-engineering.blogspot.com

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Guy / Frank,

We’ve tried this out a couple of times and it should work.

I’m sure there are lots of exotic setup’s you could be using, but ill describe a setup with 2 locations, each with a ADSL connection.

In each location I’m assuming you have an ADSL modem with integrated firewall and NAT enabled router.

I’ll also assume a laptop running editor in one location and a Mixrack in the other.

Typically your modem will have a http front end for setup. You can type the IP address of the modem into a web browser and after entering some security details you should be able to do the following:

The firewall on the modem at the Mixrack location needs to be configured to allow ports TCP 51321 and TCP 51324. If you don’t have a hardware firewall or its disabled then skip this step.

Next if you’re using “NAT” I.E your internal IP addresses are private and local (typically 192.168.x.x) and your WAN IP address is public, you will need to setup a “port forward” on the modem at the MixRack location for TCP 51321 and TCP 51324 to the local private IP address of the Mixrack (typically 192.168.1.1).

Whilst setting this up you need to make a note of the units WAN IP address – This can typically be found under “status”. Note this address may change from time to time depending on your ISP, therefore so some people prefer to use dynamic DNS(DDNS), which is a way of giving your modem a public name or alias which doesn’t change, which always points to the correct WAN IP Address.

Thats about it, now all you have to do at the other location is connect Editor to the public WAN IP address you noted down earlier or DDNS address.

Simply choose MixRack only, then type in the IP address, and it should connect.

Hope this helps

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of john@eartsinc
    john@eartsinc
    Participant

A quick easy solution is to use Logmein.com. If you have a computer on site loaded with iLive editior, you can use Logmein (which is FREE) and log on to your computer as a VLC and control editor throught that link. Logmein.com can obviously be accessed from anywhere that you have an internet connection.

John
    System Integrator
    Entertainment Arts Inc.

guyharris
    Participant

Hi all,

Yes, this all makes sense. We’ll set it up next week … And I’ll report back! :-)

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bucks

Hi Guy / Frank,

therefore so some people prefer to use dynamic DNS(DDNS), which is a way of giving your modem a public name or alias which doesn’t change, which always points to the correct WAN IP Address.

Andy
    A&H

Don’t you mean static ip?

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Kent,

I’m not sure I understand your question.

In the UK at least, most ISP’s will charge extra for a static IP on the WAN side of your router.

If you havn’t paid for this service, which most people don’t, the IP address lease given to the WAN side of your router will change from time to time.

This has security advantages, but also presents a problem for the Laptop running Editor which is connecting from the remote location. If you havn’t paid for a static IP address, and you therefore connect using the dynamicly leased WAN IP address, sooner or later it will change and you will no longer be able to connect.

DDNS is a way of using a hostname for your router at the MixRack location, which will always point to the correct dynamic WAN IP address.

Normally this is achieved by a piece of software running on either the router (most have it built in) or a PC inside your private network.

The software contacts a public server on the internet and periodically updates a hostname which acts as an alias for your routers WAN IP address.

So instead of typing in 212.12.12.12 in Editor, you’d type something like MyMixRack.DynDNS.com. The Dynamic DNS provider then keep the records up to date as and when your IP address changes, so MyMixRack is always points to the correct IP Address.

Check out Wiki for a better explanation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS

Or Dynamic DNS, for a possible service provider:

https://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Hope this helps

Andy
    A&H

guyharris
    Participant

Thanks for your help, Andy.

Our new IDR is happily installed at home for set-up and testing, and I have no problems accessing it via the routers and switches, from behind our firewall / modem.

AND … wonder of wonders! … I can access the IDR from iTweak over the net! :-)

It took some fiddling, because it was difficult to establish whether the ports were open and indeed whether the IP address was even accessible, as my ISP doesn’t allow pinging or port scanning, funnily enough … :-)

Things to note:

1. It takes time for the iTweak to ‘find’ the IDR over the net, so be patient: give it a minute or so before starting over.
    2. The ‘delay’ in producing an effect on the IDR varies: if you haven’t done anything for a while, the connection seems to ‘sleep’, and then wake up. The delay seems to be around 0.3secs, which would be quite close to the ping return time I would think, and it’s absolutely acceptable in a set-up like this.
    3. Flattening EQ’s seems to do a double-take: it only seems to work on the second attempt: this might be my inexperience with iTweak.
    4. The DYNDNS service seems to be free, and it works instantaneously.

Other than that, this whole process gave me wood, and will save me a lot of time, driving up and down the motorway to fix small mix problems in clubs … :-)

Great job, A&H!

(Now, please kick Dante into gear! :-))

Guy

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bucks

Hi Kent,

I’m not sure I understand your question.

In the UK at least, most ISP’s will charge extra for a static IP on the WAN side of your router.

If you havn’t paid for this service, which most people don’t, the IP address lease given to the WAN side of your router will change from time to time.

This has security advantages, but also presents a problem for the Laptop running Editor which is connecting from the remote location. If you havn’t paid for a static IP address, and you therefore connect using the dynamicly leased WAN IP address, sooner or later it will change and you will no longer be able to connect.

DDNS is a way of using a hostname for your router at the MixRack location, which will always point to the correct dynamic WAN IP address.

Normally this is achieved by a piece of software running on either the router (most have it built in) or a PC inside your private network.

The software contacts a public server on the internet and periodically updates a hostname which acts as an alias for your routers WAN IP address.

So instead of typing in 212.12.12.12 in Editor, you’d type something like MyMixRack.DynDNS.com. The Dynamic DNS provider then keep the records up to date as and when your IP address changes, so MyMixRack is always points to the correct IP Address.

Check out Wiki for a better explanation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS

Or Dynamic DNS, for a possible service provider:

https://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Hope this helps

Andy
    A&H

sorry mis understood your post.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.