Gain channel and phantom power

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Gain channel and phantom power

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mumu mumu 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of aqstyk
    aqstyk
    Participant

Hello :)
    I have one question. I have ilive T112 and IDR48. When i active the phantom power on any channel and quick change the gain on this channel i hear strange “noises” like “shot” few times. Why is this happend? When the phantom power is off then is silent on this channel.

Best regard
    Mario from Poland.

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Mario I think you will find the noise you refer to is normal for most channel inputs on most desks, when you apply or remove the phantom volts for the first few seconds there are odd pops and click’s which I guess could be described as shots going off, usually accompanied by the peak light coming on for that channel. I believe this is due to the fact you are applying a DC bias voltage onto a predominantly AC circuit, things like blocking capacitors have to charge up and this causes the odd noise. I am sure Carey will give chapter and verse on this. Most people just wait a few seconds for it to settle down and the noises go away. If they persist it suggests you have some bad microphone leads causing intermittent phantom voltage to the pre-amplifier of the microphone.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

The obvious thing being – mute the channel while you apply or remove phantom! My Neumann KMS105’s take maybe 3 or 4 seconds to settle down, and if you leave the channel open it makes a horrible din, but as Mr B said that’s part and parcel of phantom (either on mikes or to a lesser extent on di’s).

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of aqstyk
    aqstyk
    Participant

I know that first 3-4 second must wait. But later then the channel is alright make quick change in gain channel (not trim). Then you can hear again “shots” – there is no microphone. Try it in your ilive system.

Best regard
    Mario :)

Profile photo of aqstyk
    aqstyk
    Participant

No one have tried this?

Mario

Profile photo of ryanlantzy
    ryanlantzy
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by aqstyk

No one have tried this?

Mario

Mario,

I had a similar problem with my iLive… though it was independent of phantom power. Did it sound like this? It was only on one channel though.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bilitski#p/u/4/jm0kazG-_UM

I had to replace one of the I/O boards in my mix rack.

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

channels where phantom is being turned on or off have to be muted (ever since phantompower exists) PLUS wait a few seonds until the condenser is loaded /unloaded…

did you try the same mic on another channel?
    if its not the mic it must be the preamp (or its phantom)

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced there is a yamaha conspiracy against the release of the dante )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.