Linking 2 channels

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Linking 2 channels

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Pitk Pitk 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike-Courtney
    Mike-Courtney
    Participant

Hi Guys

Just powered up my new ilive (T112) and set it all up. One thing I can’t seem to do is link 2 channels (eg my main left and rights so I can just push one fader instead of both) Is this possible to do on an ilive? I used to do this on my ols Yamaha desks so rthought it would be fairly standard.

MC[8)]

Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

If you want to, the easy way to do that is by creating a VCA group that is your L, R and Sub all together. Set L, R and sub where you want them, then ignore them the rest of the night, one fader (call it the mains VCA) handles all 3. Remember by default you always have 16 VCA’s available.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Yes – You can gang any channels you want together. Go to mixrack setup / ganging, then select your chanels to create a group, then attributes tab to set parameters that will be ganged.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

I’ve found the best way for me ended up being to gang the mains as Richard describes above OR send the mains to a Matrix – I’ve been doing this lately and working from editor I find it particularly handy as I get stereo metering in the channel strip .
    Of course the other thing is, what attributes would you want to gang? I usually have everything but the panning ganged, but you can choose to unlink stuff like eq’s, delays etc if that suits your setup.

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Yeah I also run my mains from a Stereo matrix output and have the L/R mains in a buried layer – the main reason is that any EQ/processing on your main L/R outs will be (undesirably) included with any other main > Matrix outputs such as recording feeds, zone/delay feeds etc.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of brandonhw
    brandonhw
    Participant

I use matrices for everything output from the main mix(es). The main mixes are kept completely flat with no eq, etc., so that I can adjust the individual matrix outputs, delays, etc. It’s worked great so far. But it’s a little cumbersome to set up initially.

Brandon

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

I have found that you can’t gang channels of a different sort together. for example I have set up a mix output as a Post-Fade Aux mix to use for stereo Subs rather than the system provided MONO sub chennel that still takes 2 mix channels :( and I noticed that I can’t gang the mix and the sub masters together.

I we have the mains ganged anyway so I now have 2 faders L & Sub instead of L & R.

We use matrices for the FOH fed outputs too which is nice.

Duncan Whitcombe
    Mirror Sounds & metrochurch
    Perth, Australia
    T112, iDR48x2, Dante soon
    http://www.mirrorsounds.com.au
    http://www.metrochurch.org.au

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Stereo subs! Wow, man. Could you be more specific about purposes of doing that?

ddff

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

I didn’t think it was particularly radical. If you can hear the source move when you pan it then it needs to be stereo.

we have the speaker towers either side of the stage which is the width of the room and so, unless we were crossing the subs over at about 32 Hz then at least I can hear the difference :)

The other side of this is that even if you use the built in LRSub setting you lose 2 mixes any way so you may as well run a stereo aux instead so that we don’t waste a mix bus – there’s only 32 of them <grin>

Stereo is good. Surround is probably a couple of years away :)

Duncan Whitcombe
    Mirror Sounds & metrochurch
    Perth, Australia
    T112, iDR48x2, Dante soon
    http://www.mirrorsounds.com.au
    http://www.metrochurch.org.au

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Well, if you can hear subs pan, then yes you should do it. I rare use 2 stacks of subs therefore no need for such arrangement. Been mixing for 15 yrs and never used nor seen someone else using this, that’s why was surprised.

ddff

Profile photo of Pitk
    Pitk
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ddff_lv

Well, if you can hear subs pan, then yes you should do it. I rare use 2 stacks of subs therefore no need for such arrangement. Been mixing for 15 yrs and never used nor seen someone else using this, that’s why was surprised.

Some synth bass stuff might use phase even 180 degrees left vs right. I was once in big trouble having a PA with mono sub and wide stereo stuff from sequencer. Mostly mono sub is ok and handeling directionality is easier that way.

Pitk.

iLiveT80 / iDr32

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.