Limiter not limiting?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Limiter not limiting?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of frozenwaffles frozenwaffles 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of styler1982
    styler1982
    Participant

So I noticed that I was getting peak lights on a Group. What is interesting is I have a limiter set well below the peak of that group. I understand the meters are post fader, but the fader was under 0 and with the limiter set below peak that I would assume that it would be impossible for that group to peak.

What am I missing?

I tested and the same thing happens on my main mix. If I enable a limiter set below the peak point, which appears to be somewhere around +10db limiter set to say +8 and fader at 0 how is it the peak light get tripped?

Am I misunderstanding that a limiter should limit?

Stephen Tyler
    Coordinator of Technical Operations
    ACM@UCO
    http://www.acm-uco.com
    iLive T-112/iDR-32

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Could be wrong here I thought the Peak lights were Pre most things.
    Any Thoughts Carey?

Profile photo of ryanlantzy
    ryanlantzy
    Participant

I think when the limiter is enabled, and becomes activated by a loud signal, the PK light for that channel (and page) illuminates so you know you are in limiting.

Profile photo of antonyja
    antonyja
    Participant

Mr B is correct. The peak indicator on the top of the channel meter is a combination of all the peak lights on that channel (Pre-Amp, PEQ, Comp & limiter). That way you are warned that the channel is close to clipping even if is output is attenuated (by limiter or fader).

Antony Jackson
    Software Manager
    Allen & Heath Limited

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

regardless of all said above, i think the limiter needs work. its not nice and nees a new algorithm…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.