Interfacing with system process

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Interfacing with system process

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of lawbass61 lawbass61 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

Forgive me in advance if this is a dumb question, but I am an old analog guy learning digital. I have recently gotten the IDR48 and the iLive T112. Prior to going digital, I used the typical analog setup: board, EQ, then out to a system processor for crossovers and parametric EQ for system equalization. I therefore used the analog EQ for feedback elimination and for room eq. Now that I have gone digital, I am trying to wrap my head around what parts of the iLive system processing (GEQ, PEQ) and what part of the system processor to still use (PEQ, crossover). I know I don’t want to duplicate. So, as a default setup (L,R, Sub, Front Fill), should I send full range signal or send a Hipassed/Lowpassed signal from the iLive to go through the processor’s crossovers? I am thinking that the best is to send full range out of the iLive to the processor, but want to make sure that is correct. Thanks in advance.
    Jon

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I think there is nothing wrong with sending full range signals to your processors/amps. By going digital I got rid of all “input” processing – things that I was doing at the processor input, like PEQ and delay. This is more convenient for me to do on iLive.

ddff

Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

And to present the other side to this argument, I’ve managed to remove our outboard system processing completely, such that the iLive system does everything. And it works very nicely. I run high/low pass on L, R and SUB main mixes, then run those into matrices to do speaker-based EQ, limiting and delays. Very easy to manage, and sounds much cleaner, more dynamic and with a better signal-to-noise ratio than I had previously achieved with our (admittedly low-to-mid-budget) analogue kit. Mine is a permanently-installed system that requires occasional flexibility, so if you’re touring or hiring your system your mileage might vary.

Needless to say I’m still really, really impressed with my new purchase! :)

“A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kickboxing.”
    -unknown.

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

I know for ages some people have said about A&H including speaker processing package within the desk, the only issue I see here is you have a limited number of outputs maximum 32 if you start doing a few 3 and 4 way feeds these will not last long, you will soon run out.
    I quite often use L&R at least 3 way, then centre 3 way, fills 2 way and then delays which are 3 way. Or think of a monitor guy doing a few stereo in-ear’s and a dozen Bi-Amped wedges drum and side fill.

I could see it would work in a smallish fixed venue, better if the number of outputs from the desk could go up though, 96 would be a good round number [:D]

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

This is also possible, however it depends on complexity of PA system. If using powered speakers with all necessary processing inside, it’s very good to do some all over stuff (delay, peq, geq) on iLive, this saves necessity for speaker management processor. However, if system is like 4-way mains, 2-way fronfills, 3-way outfills, subs flown and stacked (end-fired, arc processed), some all-pass or FIR processing involved, you still need external processor to carry all this. Then you leave speaker ‘vocing’ to processor, and do your everydays adjustments on iLive.

ddff

Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

The main issue for me still keeping the outboard processing is the need for crossover–no ability within iLive for setting type and depth of crossover. While as stated above we can simply use highpass/lowpass for sending basic signal flow to our mains, that will not ensure smooth crossover points and thus likely gaps or peaks around the crossover point. Hence a repeated request if possible, please add crossover to the outputs Allen Heath.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.