IDR-16 XDR-16

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stealth Stealth 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Attreui75
    Attreui75
    Participant

I’m a little frustrated that I recently bought an IDR-16 to do what the new XDR-16 will do, but I digress. I was wondering if the Allen and Heath guys can answer a few questions about these. I am running a T112 with an IDR-32 and an IDR-16 as a slave. My questions:

1. Can I add an XDR-16 to this setup even with a slave?
    2. Will the new version of the software allow me to assign the outputs of the IDR-16 to be usable? They are so limited as to be unusable in the existing setup. Is there no way to assign those outputs now?

Thanks,
    Steve

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Steve

quote:

1. Can I add an XDR-16 to this setup even with a slave?

Yes it is possible to add 1 XDR16 expander to your dual mixrack setup. You will need to make sure redundant link is turned off in the Port B options page of the Master Mixrack. You then need to connect your Slave mixrack to Link 1 of your Master mixrack Port B ACE module and the expander to Link 2.
    Remeber all devices on the network must have a unique and compatible IP address.

quote:

2. Will the new version of the software allow me to assign the outputs of the IDR-16 to be usable? They are so limited as to be unusable in the existing setup. Is there no way to assign those outputs now?

This is possible in the current firmware.
    To do this go to the outputs page and select your slave mixrack from the drop down box at the top of the screen. Select an output socketm in the output source select you will have a list of output types listed such as:
    Mixrack inputs (slave mixrack inputs)
    ACE (any signal you send out of the master mixrack port B slot will be available here)
    e.g. To output mono group 1 out of Slave mixrack output socket G1: – go to the outputs page of your master mixrack and select the Port B tab. assign Mono group 1 to port B channel 1 – then select your slave mixrack from the drop down menu at the top of the outputs page – select socket G1 of the slave mixrack and set the output source as ACE channel 1 – you should now have mono group 1 coming out of the first output socket on your slave mixrack.

Also make sure your slave mixrack ACE link is plugged into link 1 on the master mixrack Port B, to avoid any routing problems.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of cdennewitz
    cdennewitz
    Participant

I now have a question I have a similar setup, and I thought that the first 32 channels of ace between the two mixracks were already taken up by the slave sending info back. I started my returns on 33, and it is working fine. If I am wrong let me know, I may not change my setup but will know for future setups.

Chad

Profile photo of Attreui75
    Attreui75
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stealth

Yes it is possible to add 1 XDR16 expander to your dual mixrack setup. You will need to make sure redundant link is turned off in the Port B options page of the Master Mixrack. You then need to connect your Slave mixrack to Link 1 of your Master mixrack Port B ACE module and the expander to Link 2.
    Remeber all devices on the network must have a unique and compatible IP address.

Okay, that sounds like it will work, next question would be, where will those inputs show up? Will they add to the end of where the IDR-16 leaves off or are they completely assignable to any of the 128 inputs?

quote:

This is possible in the current firmware.
    To do this go to the outputs page and select your slave mixrack from the drop down box at the top of the screen. Select an output socketm in the output source select you will have a list of output types listed such as:
    Mixrack inputs (slave mixrack inputs)
    ACE (any signal you send out of the master mixrack port B slot will be available here)
    e.g. To output mono group 1 out of Slave mixrack output socket G1: – go to the outputs page of your master mixrack and select the Port B tab. assign Mono group 1 to port B channel 1 – then select your slave mixrack from the drop down menu at the top of the outputs page – select socket G1 of the slave mixrack and set the output source as ACE channel 1 – you should now have mono group 1 coming out of the first output socket on your slave mixrack.

Also make sure your slave mixrack ACE link is plugged into link 1 on the master mixrack Port B, to avoid any routing problems.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Sam A&H

Thanks, I will try this out!

Steve

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Steve

quote:

Okay, that sounds like it will work, next question would be, where will those inputs show up? Will they add to the end of where the IDR-16 leaves off or are they completely assignable to any of the 128 inputs?

To assign the inputs from the expander go to any dsp channel between 1-64 and select xDR xpander from the pre-amp source drop down box. You will not be able to assign xpander channels directly to 65-128.

Hi Chad

quote:

I now have a question I have a similar setup, and I thought that the first 32 channels of ace between the two mixracks were already taken up by the slave sending info back. I started my returns on 33, and it is working fine. If I am wrong let me know, I may not change my setup but will know for future setups.

The 32 reserved channels are only sent from the slave mixrack to the Master mixrack for system linking dual rack inputs which is why you can only assign channels 33-64 over the dual rack link from slave to master.
    Sending audio from the master mixrack to the slave mixrack you are free to assign all 64 channels how you wish.

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of mrp123
    mrp123
    Participant

And to add to the original question, how about this as a possibility? I apologize if this was answered elsewhere.

What if he added another M-ACE card but put in port B of his slave?
    Then connect the xDR-16 to Port B of the *slave* mix rack.
    I’m still assuming firmware v 1.70, which is now current.

This is for those who already have a slave mix rack, but their slave’s input and output count is too low (i.e. for slaves smaller than the iDR-64). Can they later build the *slave’s* I/O count with the expander so the expander’s I/O appears on channels 65-128?

And assuming this arrangement would even work, how would any given T-Series expansion card in Port B of the xDR-16 behave? Would it behave as expected in the xDR-16 regardless of the upstream mix rack configuration, or would that card not function properly if at all?

Just wondering what’s possible as we use equipment for different applications.

Mike

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Mike

No I am afraid that we do not support expanders being connected to a slave mixrack.

To get around this you could swap your Slave mixrack for the Master mixrack and then connect the exapnder to your new master mixrack.

Hope this helps

Sam A&H

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.