XDR16 AS Digital Inputs only

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions XDR16 AS Digital Inputs only

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF VOLCANOJEFF 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

I am sure that with this being a new Item and not much information known about it yet this may be premature to ask. With the XDR16 used only as i/o expansion, Could it, with a DANTE or other interface card and the correct input card be used as an interface only for a computer. Of course you would not get the DSP of the mix rack or the use of the I-Live editor. But in the instance of recording in a small home studio, this could be an alternative…Just wondering. Any of you guys from Allen and Heath any thoughts?

Thanks

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

Interesting thought. Question: Without the MixRack, how would one control pre-amp levels?

“A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kickboxing.”
    -unknown.

VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

abstractnoise, you are likely correct. I saw this and the thought popped into my mind. There are installs where it would be nice to have a box like this that could be integrated into a networked system. Multi room conference centers or large banquet halls. You may only need microphones or input for other applications and no effects processing. With the up and coming when it gets here DANTE network this would be one of the easiest to connect and well you get the drift. Just hadnot thought it complete through..

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Jeff, my understanding is that you can connect up to 2 of these to a mixrack, and I guess that means for multi room centres as you’re describing you could still do something with it there – you could simply use a laptop in each space, route the outputs to a new matrix & assign the outputs as such… in that way the inputs for that room could just be used specifically for that space, with it’s associated outputs. The main room would have the mixrack & console and the other rooms could essentially operate independently as long as the inputs/outputs in those rooms were made scene safe (anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here!).

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

That is also the way I am understanding it. This would make for real nice set up. Have a extension in the choir room for those big productions when there is an offstage choir singing. The monitors and mics all fed throught the 16x i/o. Or even in some instances we have had to use multi rooms for overflow of large gatherings. if expected drop a extension in at a pre ran network cable, load a preset scene and go. I had the thought of just using it as an interface for say recording only. These are great systems and Allen and Heath has found a way to make the a/d to d/a converters at a very reasonable price. If they only had a way of controlling the pres without the mix rack….

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.