2 Mixracks, distributed audio, pls and dante

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions 2 Mixracks, distributed audio, pls and dante

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Steve-Channell Steve-Channell 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Steve-Channell
    Steve-Channell
    Participant

Currently I have installed a T112-idr48 system in a worship center. Now I’m looking to install another idr mixrack into the other side of the campus to use for a few smaller systems that will be ran independently with PL devises and iLive editor on it’s dedicated computer.

What would be the best way to now link the entire campus together as a whole? I know you can’t like 2 surfaces to two mixracks currently but when the dante card comes out could I put a dante card in each mixrack’s port and create my own 64 channel routing that way? I don’t need control just audio networking for i/o for every room.

thanks,
    steve

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Could you not fit the Ethersound option card and use that?
    Ethersound would work over the campus network I guess. You may need to create a V-Lan between the two though and a seperate V-Lan for the control network. I am not a network guru but there are a few much more experienced chaps on this forum that I am sure will correct my mistakes. Food for thought though?

Steve-Channell
    Participant

I’ll check into the ether sound card. Yeah any network gurus feel free to comment :)

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Steve

You could also use ACE which is cheaper than EtherSound, though there is a limitation that you will only be able to have bidirectional audio between 2 systems if you wish to add another system at a later date then you will only be able to have unidirectional audio to the new mixrack.

EtherSound will allow you to build a larger bidirectional network at a cost.

Hope this helps
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

hey Steve,
    With the Dante card, you would be able to connect between both consoles via a decent network. Possibly even existing one. It would also give you the option to multitrack any of the rooms with no cost other than hard drive space.
    I believe that the with the purchase of the Dante card, you will get a Dante Virtual Sound Card license as well. But I’m sure one of the AH guys would be able to confirm that.
    I’m patiently waiting for the card, as it will give me many solutions for my clients.

take care
    Gil

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

The card will come with a single virtual soundcard license, with extras available via the Audinate website (according to them in an email conversation earlier in the year) at approximately $150 a pop.

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Steve-Channell
    Participant

With the ace card in both would it allow up to 16 pl devises on each mix rack? I think it’s 16 normally. I can’t recall for certain.

Profile photo of simonstpauli
    simonstpauli
    Participant

Steve, what are the distances?

Is there existing wire / fiber from one point to another?

From what I understand you want to link 2 mixracks, that can basically be done with every bi-directional digital I/O card. You have to meet cabling standards though.

When you want to build a network things (to maybe link up a recording computer or other audio devices) get a little more complicated.

Christian Tepfer
    Hamburg, Germany

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Have you had a look at the new xDR16 mentioned elsewhere on the forum (https://www.ilive-digital.com/xdr16.html)? That may well be the easiest option – complete flexibility of routing and control locally or via your network (as long as you’ve got the spare matrices etc to run those spaces & crew that know what they’re doing with it!) & obviously lower cost to your employer (I’m going to recommend this system to my local university).

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Steve-Channell
    Participant

The end result is networking 2 ilive systems together. I/O from any where I run cabling for I/O. But running multiple systems with their own dedicated I/O off of pl 10s. I can run multiple audio systems off of 1 mix rack with a laptop. Now I want to be able to put everything on network. So the Dante card will do what I reedit too. I don’t need to control multiple systems only routing of I/O. I need the larger mix racks because the amount of inputs and outputs I need between the 2 mixradks to run multiple systems.

The xdr16 system is super sweet and I want it for the FOH but it isn’t large enough for this application. I’ll be pulling cat5, that’s no big deal. It’s about 200ft between the 2nd potential system.

7 completely individual audio systems ran simultaneously using dedicated DCA outs, 6 of them ran by PL devises from one iDR48 and a computer and the other has it’s own iDR 48 and T112. Ok so now… Network all inputs and outputs via cat5 between the two mix racks. The ace card will do that but the Dante seems much better in that it just creates it’s own network that I can route from. Remember I don’t need control over two mix racks just I/O.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.