Shockproof case, a must or just extra weight?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Shockproof case, a must or just extra weight?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JustinSumrall JustinSumrall 13 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Since I bought my IDR-32 we’ve been in a theatre production phase. In one month we’ll go on the road however and I was wondering how important it would be to invest in things like…

1. A shockproof case instead of a normal one. (I saw the AIR production crew was using a normal case on wheels: https://www.ilive-digital.com/movies/air.asp so maybe the IDR can handle normal transport while in a 19″ case in a small trailer?)

2. A small UPS rack unit like the APC SmartUPS 450VA 19″
    Ok that could make sense I think to avoid accidental shutdown. However this also never happened before using an analogue board, so maybe I’m overreacting :-)

3. A voltage regulator? We will be touring through theatres, nothing else, so maybe this is not that needed. Don’t know how tolerant the unit is yet.

Are there any issues known concerning having all wireless stuff built in in the same case. Not large numbers, I mean a couple (3) of wireless mic receivers and 5 in ear senders?

I welcome any advice.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I’ve just finished a rack for my iDR48. It has 1U APC rackmount, IDR, 2 free rackspaces for IPS-10 (maybe in future, now fitted with 2U rackmound drawer) and a 19″ energy saving 5W racklight. I’ve made a simple overvoltage relay to block incoming AC in case it exceedes 245V, I also have a relay to switch iDR between UPS output and line (in case if UPS fails, relay switches to incoming AC line). The rack is 12U double (internal box suspended) type. I’ve also modified rackmount light to have 2 indication lamps – Line OK and UPS OK. Rear lid is normally closed, it has 8 ventilation grilles and dust filter, two extra 120mm fans are installed in the back (230VAC in series to have low RPM and no noise).

If you are going to have something more in this rack – no problems. However I do not recommend to have Wireless mics and PSM systems placed so close. Most (even expensive) systems are not intended to have such strong RF signal, delivered by PSM placed near, therefore input stage of RF filters become overloeaded and lose it’s selectivity, some pops and side effects may occur. I try to keep at least 3m distance between transmitters and receivers.

ddff

Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

You might want to check with your A & H dealer, remember that A & H has had a rebate this summer for rolling roadcases for new purchases of IDRs and ILive T series. I got those, and as someone a while back said, the build quality was excellent. The case A & H speced for the IDR is shockproofed, which may be a good indicator of its “recommendation”. It is also large enough for two 1U items in addition to the IDR48 (is the IDR32 the same size?), and you can also rackmount something on the rear in addition. In my rack, it houses the IDR48, my system management unit and a UPS. The spool with my CAT5 cable goes in the back. For what is worth, I do primarily theatre work, and all of my wireless units (24)are in a separate case (24), which the IDR case typically sits on top of. I agree with the prior post though that I would not put the IEM’s directly with the receivers. Hope that is of help.
    Jon

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

When I comes to case, I have ordered one in our local company’s workshop. This is how it looks – https://3s.lv/misc/iLive.htm
    If someone is interested, let me know.

ddff

Will post pictures of iDR later.

Profile photo of JustinSumrall
    JustinSumrall
    Participant

We had two custom console cases built by Opti-Case for our T112’s. They are similar to the R&R cases for the M7CL that have the wood wrapping the sides (https://www.rrcases.com/consoleyamaham7cl.htm) except for the doghouse which sits flush with the top of the desk. We had ours constructed with two side-by-side 2-space racks below the front of the desk for power conditioner, CD player, Clear-Com station, etc.

The IDR-48 MixRack was also a custom build job by Opti-Case. It consists of a 12-space rack/trunk combo to fit the MixRack, twist-lock power inlet and power conditioner. The snake comes out of the front of the rack down and back to the 30″ trunk for storage. These are very handy to use as a table for monitor world when both MixRacks are being used.

I will post photos when I get a chance to pop the lid on one of the consoles.

Justin Sumrall
    2-T112 2-IDR48

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.