Connection Failed

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Connection Failed

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Piehead Piehead 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #22411
    Profile photo of Piehead
    Piehead
    Participant

    Hi,

    Having major problems setting up our T112 and iDR 48 for the first time. Can’t seem to get all the bits talking to each other. The only thing that doesn’t seem right is that the firmware on the MixRack is 1.63 and the surface is on 1.7 (they were shipped that way). I take it that’s where the problem lies? I’ve tried the following so far…

    1. Updating the firmware to 1.7 from the surface via USB Key.
    2. Installing 1.63 on the surface to see if that will enable connection.
    3. Connection to the mixrack via laptop.
    4. So many other options I can’t even remember them now :(

    Any help gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

    Piehead

    #26120
    Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

    Your on the right track both surface and rack need to have the same firmware version.

    112T/IDR48/IDR16

    #26121
    Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

    Hi,

    just from experience :-( …make sure that you connected the ACE into the right socket at the surface…they are kinda close next to each other, even with big letters ACE….but I made it happen lately :-D
    But the firmeware update is first! ;-)
    Mike

    #26122
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

    You can use a computer running editor to update the mixrack to 1.7 (instructions on the iLive download site), then try to connect to the surface again, that should fix it.

    iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

    #26124
    Profile photo of Piehead
    Piehead
    Participant

    Thanks for your replies, it’s really great to know there is help out there [:)]

    It turns out that the problem was with a memory stick. I tried a completely blank one and it worked fine. As far as I know I followed all of the guidelines regarding Firmware via USB card but I still had problems.

    I’m now sitting mixing for the first time at our church and am loving the iLive system. We’re in at the deep end but I know that we’ll get there.

    Thanks again for the help this forum brings.

    Piehead

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.