Output trim

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds dnxmirrorsounds 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

Hi there

Just wonder if I’ve missed something in my setting up of this system previously… Anyone seen a trim function on any output strips, other than the faders?

I’d love to be able to trim output levels up or down so I can keep faders at 0dB and leave amplifiers at their maximum gain, adjusting everything in the desk. That way I can limit the system from the desk end and not worry about people cranking up the amplifiers to compensate.

I could also do with this function where I run monitor outs from the FOH desk – typically I need something like 20dB less level going to any monitor send than I need in FOH, but would like to be able to keep faders and “pots” near 0dB for maximum adjustment resolution.

Thoughts anyone?

“A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kickboxing.”
    -unknown.

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by abstractnoise

Hi there

Just wonder if I’ve missed something in my setting up of this system previously… Anyone seen a trim function on any output strips, other than the faders?

I’d love to be able to trim output levels up or down so I can keep faders at 0dB and leave amplifiers at their maximum gain, adjusting everything in the desk. That way I can limit the system from the desk end and not worry about people cranking up the amplifiers to compensate.

I could also do with this function where I run monitor outs from the FOH desk – typically I need something like 20dB less level going to any monitor send than I need in FOH, but would like to be able to keep faders and “pots” near 0dB for maximum adjustment resolution.

Thoughts anyone?

-unknown.

No trim on outs!
    That stage is usually the realm of the speaker processor.BSS Soundweb, KT dn 9848 etc……

A limiter on your outs could also do that for you without screwing up your gain structure……. Or, you could use an online editor as a “master” control center for outputs/MTX/grps/aux and assign these to DCAs(just apply some restrictions for your guest eng.so they can’t change these) you would then have total control on out levels etc……

abstractnoise
    Participant

I understand that this is usually a feature found on speaker processors. I’m looking to eliminate ours to clean up the signal path, reduce latency, and reduce system complexity. I can do this with the tools in the box – but having separate trims on outs would make things that little bit neater and easier.

-unknown.

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

it´s so easy to handle!
    you can use the mtx for your system management, i do so.
    then you can hide them, from the surface, so noone got direct access to them!

greetings from hamburg

abstractnoise
    Participant

Yup – matrices is how I’m planning to do it – and did when i last had the desk on demo. What i found was that when want more than 20dB attenuation of an output signal, the faders get less precise.

A trim function would help attenuate the signal such that I can leave the faders at 0dB, right in the area where best precision is available, just like the ideal input gain structure.

-unknown.

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

you can leave the mtx faders on 0db, when you feed the mtx!
    you simply set the level-mix to the mtx that you want.
    you defenitly don´t need an output trim!

greetings from hamburg

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by abstractnoise

Yup – matrices is how I’m planning to do it – and did when i last had the desk on demo. What i found was that when want more than 20dB attenuation of an output signal, the faders get less precise.

have the MTX as you planned, controlled by a dca! you would have 2 levels of adjustments so more precise faders

RayS

abstractnoise
    Participant

That works given that we’re not using all the DCA’s. As it is, I’ve just put up with the faders being out of whack and locked the faders away from the desk layers, making them accessible only by specific intervention via Strip config or iLive Editor. That works well enough.

Guess I’ll put my perfectionist self out in the kennels for the night… :)

-unknown.

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

I could still see it being useful for level matching with amps and things. we actually use all the mixes: wedges, IEM, FX, FOH Xover split etc.

Not essential but a nice refinement.

Duncan Whitcombe
    Mirror Sounds & metrochurch
    Perth, Australia
    T112, iDR48x2, Dante soon
    http://www.mirrorsounds.com.au
    http://www.metrochurch.org.au

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.