Editor dropouts over wifi – default resets?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Editor dropouts over wifi – default resets?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

I’ve had a few instances of Editor losing a connection over wifi (more than once while a show was running) & I usually find I can’t get it to reconnect without closing and rebooting – not such an issue (unless you get wailing feedback from something while you’re waiting for the reconnect!) except that when it comes back up the editor “Surface” (which I use as my default mixing surface mirrored to the T112) loses all its customised channel strips (sure, I can use the Strip editor to grab them all back & put them where I want them again, but it’s a total pain)… Any ideas how I can fix this?

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

That is a point i had come up with to – a couple of versions earlier. There is no fix for this.

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi all

We are aware that there have been a few issue with Editor connection in some of our earlier versions of Editor, when running on Microsoft Windows Vista or Microsoft Windows 7. As far as we are aware, these issues were resolved back in v1.60. Please check to see your running at least v1.60 (or preferably 1.70).

If your running Windows Vista or Windows 7: Please also check that when you start running editor, you only double click on the shortcut or executable. And that you’re not right clicking on the shortcut/exe and selecting ‘Run as administrator’ as this is known to cause issues. Please also check under the advanced properties of the shortcut/exe that you haven’t selected ‘Run as administrator’. If you have enabled this option, it may explain your problems above. Have you ever enabled either of these options on the version of Editor your currently running?

With regards to Editor disconnecting over WiFi. What was the signal strength of the WiFi at the time? Could there have been other Access Points on a similar wireless channel numbers interfering with your AP?

If you’ve tried the above, and have no luck, might be worth contacting our Technical Support Department, to see if they can advise you further.

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

No, thats not the reason.

The problem is when you start up just the rack and the editor (without surface) – and you recall a scene everything is fine – but if you loose connection and reconnect the “surface” is not the same as it was before.

Biggsounds
    Participant

Sam, it’s more about the ‘surface’ resetting (as also described above) than the dropouts – I’m still getting the wifi network working at it’s best so I’m not panicking yet about the odd dropout (although last night it did it twice in a couple of minutes, while sitting a foot from the router… annoying but not fatal). PS I’m running 1.7 & had this same issue with 1.63

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi All

We are aware we do not currently save a simulation on of the surface layout within Editor, this is the reason why the surface layout is reset after you reconnect an editor session.

There are 2 potential ways to solve this problem, you can either use the custom strip frame for channels rather than the surface simulation, as these are remembered or, you can set up channel strips as you currently are in the surface frames and store a scene in editor with this information, and then recall that scene when you restart editor.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Sam A&H

Biggsounds
    Participant

I did use the custom strip last night when the wifi dropped out the second time, but the scene recall isn’t of much use unless you saved after whatever the last changes were… and particularly if it’s in the middle of a set that’s not a very enticing option… I guess I should use the custom strips until this has a solution in a future update (please!)?

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

About the dropouts – I’ve used nearly all kinds of SOHO wifi routers and none gave any good results in stability. I’m using this kind of connection to monitor my Shure UHF system, also amp racks with QSC Basis processing, Powersoft amps, etc.
    So finally the best thing that worked stable (next to the cable, of course) was old CISCO access point, grey metal wallmount piece of hardware. It does not have DHCP and all these services that you might find in modern wifi boxes, but it works nice and since I’m using it no connection problems.

ddff

Profile photo of jimvoyager
    jimvoyager
    Participant

I’m having Wi Fi problems too, dropouts and the like. Sometimes I can log on others not so. Very frustrating at times. I do have the R72 surface though so I’m not totally stuck. I’m a Mac user so that may not be helping. There seem to be so many options in the settings for the computer and I’m not a real network boffin so am not sure which are relavent to this setup.
    Any other Mac users out there? Jim
    [:)]

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Concerning Wifi dropouts. I’d check with your local IT dealer for some high gain antennas to put on your wireless access point.

They are not that expensive and can really improve signal strength and quality.
    I just saw a 9dbi-antenna for as little as 20€ and a 15dBi DLink outdoor antenna for 171€. You can also get directional antennas so you can really focus the signal to where you are.

Hope this can help.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of arrowproduction
    arrowproduction
    Participant

I have got the same issue,the problem is not on the signal strength of wifi connection. I got the problem even I have full signal strength. the problem is once I reconnect to mix rack, I lost all strip setting, unless I recall the sence, but u may know that the sence may not be same as right b4 dropout, so I may get a sudden sound change if I recall the sence with pervious memory.

Jonathan Lam
    Production Director
    Arrow Production

Tel: (852) 8101 3597
    Fax: (852) 2351 3900
    Email: jonathanlam@arrowproduction.com.hk

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Jonathan – If you store a scene with ONLY your strip layouts then you can recall this scene at any time without having an effect on the audio.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.