Soft Keys

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of arrowproduction arrowproduction 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #22383
    Profile photo of jheimberg
    jheimberg
    Participant

    Just curious – what kind of functions do you use the soft-keys for? I’m looking for a creative use for them…

    Thanks!

    http://www.soundadvicetraining.com

    #25896
    Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

    I’m using them for various TB routes and tap tempo.

    ddff

    #25897
    Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

    on the R72 I used them for mute group masters,individual input channel EQs and compressors and soon as midi “go” message to my Qlab/Cricket rig, of course tap is a good one too…..from the pdf manual.:

    For example, you could
    use them as MUTE GROUP masters, to recall Scene memories,
    quickly access processing or mix parameters of a certain channel or
    master, send a MIDI message and more.The master Mutes can be
    operated using the Soft Keys giving you instant access to control your
    eight Mute groups.

    Ray

    #25898
    Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

    We have some as DCA mutes (for those instruments that people love to unplug quickly) and tap tempo for the DDL. I did try as Mix masters like I had done on the M7CL but as we now have about a dozen aux sends now, that didn’t really work so we changed it.

    #25900
    Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

    I use a couple to recall custom strip layouts for use in Dual Rack mode
    when I need more than the 112 strips available on my surface.
    Works quite well you just need to remeber not to store anything to them other than the layout. Could do with a toggle option on the LED indicator though.

    #25901
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

    I realise I could just try this next time I’ve got it out, but I’ll ask anyway – does the softkey ‘simulation’ setup in Editor actually work without a surface connected (i.e. can you have virtual softkeys in Editor)?

    iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

    #25907
    Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

    I use this keys only for effect-scene recalls.
    3 different vocal-rooms, 3 drum-effects and two different delay effects.
    8 Effect-settings, 8 softkeys…

    I need a softkey function “last scene +1” ;-)
    = the same job(and more!) @ 4 softkeys

    #25908
    Profile photo of jheimberg
    jheimberg
    Participant

    Wolfgang – couldn’t you accomplish the same with the scene up/down/go keys?

    I also discovered (after much head scratching) that the soft key settings are saved by default to the scenes… I’m using them to recall emergency scene layouts, and every time I recalled one my soft keys were gone until I figured it out…

    http://www.soundadvicetraining.com

    #25915
    Profile photo of dschmoldt
    dschmoldt
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by Wolfgang
    I need a softkey function “last scene +1” ;-)
    = the same job(and more!) @ 4 softkeys


    And I’d love to have the “Update Scene” key available on a soft key. That way I wouldn’t have to keep the Scene Manager displayed all the time.

    David Schmoldt

    #26000
    Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

    @jheimberg
    no, i don´t use the scene up/down/go keys for scene recalls. no more! last year i had a big problem with a unintended scene recall with my elbow :-(

    to resolve my (little) problem, a “scene + 1”-softkey could help me to economize this keys
    my dream:
    – 4 keys for 4 effect-engines
    – this keys recall a standard effect-scene in a effect engine
    – the “scene+1” key let me switch to the next effect-scenes from this starting points
    I should like to have 5 keys to recall a lot of FX-scenes -without risk of unintended effects

    I hope you understand my english ;-)

    #26211
    Profile photo of Attreui75
    Attreui75
    Participant

    In my opinion the softkeys on the ILive are one of it’s weakest features. The Yamaha consoles allow complete scene selection (including incremental steps in either direction), manipulation, storing, recalling, and the keys can be assigned to perform functions on the PC application. I love my Ilive, but it would be nice to just hit a key and store the scene or hit a softkey and bring up the analyser on the PC application or the meters or FX selection on the PC app so you can do other things on the touchscreen. I really hope they add more functionality to them in the future as they really are just shortcuts and mute control now.

    #26214
    Profile photo of dschmoldt
    dschmoldt
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by Attreui75

    In my opinion the softkeys on the ILive are one of it’s weakest features. The Yamaha consoles allow complete scene selection (including incremental steps in either direction), manipulation, storing, recalling, and the keys can be assigned to perform functions on the PC application. I love my Ilive, but it would be nice to just hit a key and store the scene or hit a softkey and bring up the analyser on the PC application or the meters or FX selection on the PC app so you can do other things on the touchscreen. I really hope they add more functionality to them in the future as they really are just shortcuts and mute control now.


    Thumbs up big time! I would love to move my scene manipulation (recalling, advancing, updating) to softkeys so I can use my iLive screen for other things when running a show!

    David Schmoldt

    #26439
    Profile photo of cdennewitz
    cdennewitz
    Participant

    I just use mine as mix recalls, so which ever one I push that is what I am mixing on my faders. Always want that quik access to the monitor mixes.

    Chad

    #26467
    Profile photo of arrowproduction
    arrowproduction
    Participant

    can we have a soft-key closer to the centre of the surface? coz I have to Tap the tempo for delay every song at the very right end of the suface, which is quite far away

    Jonathan Lam
    Arrow Production

    Email: jonathanlam@arrowproduction.com.hk
    Website: http://www.arrowproduction.com.hk
    A&H T112 / IDR 48

    #26404
    Profile photo of KB7981
    KB7981
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by Wolfgang

    @jheimberg
    no, i don´t use the scene up/down/go keys for scene recalls. no more! last year i had a big problem with a unintended scene recall with my elbow :-(

    to resolve my (little) problem, a “scene + 1”-softkey could help me to economize this keys
    my dream:
    – 4 keys for 4 effect-engines
    – this keys recall a standard effect-scene in a effect engine
    – the “scene+1” key let me switch to the next effect-scenes from this starting points
    I should like to have 5 keys to recall a lot of FX-scenes -without risk of unintended effects

    I hope you understand my english ;-)


    You can set the soft keys to recall a specified scene. So, lets say you are on scene 4, you can set a soft key in scene 4 to recall scene 5 when pressed, and then in scene 5, that same soft key could then be set to recall scene 6, and so on. Is that what you are refering to doing?

    By the way, in response to the original question, we use a couple of them as talkback assign to different monitor/aux. feeds.

    Kris
    Indiana, USA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.