2 surface 1 rack

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions 2 surface 1 rack

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere Lieven-Dewispelaere 13 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

I now that it is not officially supported but does it still work with version 1.63?
    I tried it yesterday without success.
    setup: T112 foh T80 mon
    rack ip 1
    surface T112 ip2
    screen T112 ip3
    surface T80 ip4
    screen T80 ip5
    T112 connected over ACE
    T80 connected over network
    both surfaces can connect but when i select a channel on T112 the T80 show the same and then i push an other select on the T80 channel and both surface start to fight to get the selection ( lights up like a Christmas tree)
    Inputs 1-32 are split. so foh1-32 mon 33-64. strips are different on T112 and T80 so i select different process channels on the surfaces.
    Has anybody done it recently and if so how did you do it?

kind regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

AFAIK this ain’t gonna work. You need another iDR unit to get other surface working. And a link between B ports to get signals splitted.

ddff

Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

I know that someone on prosoundweb used this but i don’t remember who it was.

Lieven

T112/IDR48

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

There was a soluion with PC and a MIDI DAW controller as another surface, look arround in this forum. However I haven’t heard that 2 surfaces would work with one iDR.

ddff

Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

I thought that the surface was just another network controller just like the editor. You can select a different channel on the editor and tweak 2 channels ( surface/editor) simultaneous without a problem.

Lieven

T112/IDR48

Profile photo of JustinSumrall
    JustinSumrall
    Participant

Negative. Remember that the brains of the iLive system are located in the mixrack. Lets say you want two computers yet you only have 1 CPU and 2 screens. Connecting both screens to the same CPU doesn’t give you two computers. You have to have the second rack to run your monitor desk. The editor/surface combination will work because all you have done is made a replica of the one console. You have taken the same IP address and mirrored it. You can do this all day long daisy-chaining consoles to your hearts desire because once again, you are mirroring the other console. As it sits right now, linking mixracks together is the only way to run two surfaces. Look on the bright side, now you have an extra 32 or 48 channels at your fingertips. :-)

Justin Sumrall
    2-T112 2-IDR48

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

There was some discussion about connecting two surfaces to one mixrack here: https://www.ilive-digital.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1017

People – Use the search function in the forums! Top right corner. It’s very good to find old posts.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by JustinSumrall

Negative. Remember that the brains of the iLive system are located in the mixrack. Lets say you want two computers yet you only have 1 CPU and 2 screens. Connecting both screens to the same CPU doesn’t give you two computers. You have to have the second rack to run your monitor desk. The editor/surface combination will work because all you have done is made a replica of the one console. You have taken the same IP address and mirrored it. You can do this all day long daisy-chaining consoles to your hearts desire because once again, you are mirroring the other console. As it sits right now, linking mixracks together is the only way to run two surfaces. Look on the bright side, now you have an extra 32 or 48 channels at your fingertips. :-)

Justin Sumrall

Justin , isn’t the surface also a computer with a network ip address ? ( even the screen has its own IP. As i see it every device ( surface,screen,pc with editor) is a network-device with its own IP. so why would it not be possible to let one device control another? once again you can connect several PC with an editor running and all change different settings the same time. if i select the kick channel on the surface someone else can at the same time select another channel to tweak on the editor.
    Bottomline: it doesn’t work with 2 surfaces connected. I just want to now why not.
    if i need it i will buy a second surface AND rack.[;)]

kind regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48

Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

There was some discussion about connecting two surfaces to one mixrack here: https://www.ilive-digital.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1017

People – Use the search function in the forums! Top right corner. It’s very good to find old posts.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Stix,

Carey actually said this in the discussion you mentioned

The request for two surfaces working with one MixRack is usually for the two engineer FOH/Monitors situation. Two surfaces, one brain. Here you would need independent channel selection. As Andy says this is not supported yet but on the list for future release.
    end quote

So as i thought it should technically be possible

Lieven

T112/IDR48

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.