Editor question….

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Editor question….

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Biggsounds Biggsounds 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

I’m still looking at ways of controlling the editor software with a tactile controller – I’ve looked at ways of sending midi over LAN so I could even use a controller wirelessly with a pair of laptops (1 at FOH & 1 on stage to take care of a bunch of duties such as DMX control, recording, playback of walk in music etc) BUT I can’t actually test much stuff until I get the mixrack I’ll be buying soon as Editor has no offline MIDI support so can I ask some stupid questions???
    If iLive MIDI spec supports Fader levels does that mean if I open the “mix” window for my Auxes and FX sends I could use the MIDI controller to adjust channel levels (i.e. if I have a controller set to control the fader levels for channels 1-24 can this same assignment work on controlling the send levels of channels 1-24 to aux & FX sends)?
    This would rock if it will let me do this… any chance someone here has already tried this, or could try it with their laptop to see if it’ll work?

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Nope, that won’t work. You can’t use a MIDI controller to control the editor software. And MIDI fader control means just that: fader control, no aux send or FX send level per channel.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Biggsounds
    Participant

But here’s my logic – if (as Stix has shown us in his excellent Youtube video) it’s possible to use a controller connected to the midi interface on the iDR rack to control an iLive surface, those same changes would be reflected in the editor software right? So in effect, I’m not directly controlling Editor, I’m controlling the engine on the mixrack which then controls Editor…midi over Ethernet or even wireless seems practical, so essentially I’d be doing the same as connecting the device locally, if it’s addressed correctly it should do the same thing Stix has managed in Logic right? Or is this all just wishful thinking?
    Bummer that there’s no midi control from the busses, maybe in a future update?

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

But here’s my logic – if (as Stix has shown us in his excellent Youtube video)

Stix’ approach is completely different. His controller is connected to his computer (via USB or firewire, don’t know that part) and controls Logic, NOT the mixrack. It is in turn his Logic environment that converts everything to MIDI and sends out MIDI signals to the mixrack.

Stix cannot control aux sends level per channel, he is also limited to general fader levels as he uses MIDI to control the mixrack.

I think lot’s of us are dreaming of a cheaper controller combined with the ideal editor software (that if it’s really supergood, could cost something). But that’s a question we have to address to the Allen&Heath Strategic Management team I think… :-)

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Hi there – Biggsounds- The iLive midi spec only supports Fader levels, Mutes, DCA assignments, scene program changes, Names & Colours. You therefore cannot use midi to adjust anything else unless they change the iLive midi spec. You are also confusing the surface “control” faders with channel “Level” faders which are in fact software values contained within the mixrack. The surface faders change function as they are just a remote control. They can be an aux send, eq slider, channel fader etc but they aren’t controlled by midi – they are controlled by the Touch Screen computer/surface which always gets it’s values from the mixrack! Midi signals control some of the values in the Mixrack – but only those functions as mentioned above.
    Hope that clarify’s it. Now if they went whole hog with the MIDi spec and fully supported Mackie control protocol then there would be cheap controllers everywhere including ipod/iphones.
    So yes – we all are dreaming of a cheap and functional controller. Perhaps the ipad/touch app thats being developed will be a solution?
    Biggsounds – If you want an iLive controller with tight integration then save up and get an ilive surface. Not to dis my own work with the Logic/Mackie control solution as it works very well but I’m saving for another!

Richard
    IDR48/IDR16/T112 and soon an R72? or perhaps a T80? then Dante cards …. Oh **** I’m addicted!

Biggsounds
    Participant

Thanks so much for the input guys, it’s definitely not a dealbreaker on buying the system, but maybe if there’s enough of us saying this stuff then it’ll happen eventually!
    Again, thanks to all the forum contributors to their wisdom & patience for a new arrival asking daft questions!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.