Wireless router setup

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Wireless router setup

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 13 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Folks, Who can talk me through the setup of using a wireless router with my idr48 mix rack? I’d like the possibility of running FOH on a MacBook pro. Is a standard domestic router OK to do this? I’m not unfamiliar with configuring routers, IP addresses etc, but it’s always been in an IT capacity until now. Does the iDR connect to the ‘modem’ input of the router? Thanks for your help in advance. Regards, Adrian.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Hi, Adrian!

this is quite simple thing – just plug the iDR in LAN (not MODEM or WAN) port so it’s on “the same side of router” with WiFi. Set LAN address of the router to 192.168.1.254 and DHCP enabled with certain number of addresses starting from 192.168.1.10. Put some MAC filter on WiFi to protect the connection – this doesn’t affect connection speed as much as encryting (WEP, WPA) would do.

ddff

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Adrian

You can use a standard domestic router, although as you will only be using the switch side of it, and not the routing side, you should not use the ‘WAN’ or ‘Modem’ port. First turn the router on, and connect the laptop to it using a CAT5 cable. You should then be able to access a web-based management interface using the router’s instructions. From here, set up the wireless network, and it’s probably easiest to turn off the DHCP server. Set the router’s IP address to something like 192.168.1.100, and the macbook to, for example, 192.168.1.101. The basic goal is to avoid conflicting with either the Mix Rack (192.168.1.1 by default) or the surface (192.168.1.2/3 by default). You can set all units to use DHCP if you want, but this would mean that you would always have to have to router present and turned on before starting up your system.

If you are familiar with IP networks, then the short version is that, by default, the iLive devices are normal network devices in the private address range 192.168.1.0/24. An Editor session running on a device in the same address range as the iLive devices will be able to connect to them.

Hope this helps.

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks guys, We have some shows to do this weekend but I’ll get on to this next week. Adrian

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.