First experience & questions

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions First experience & questions

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ddff_lv ddff_lv 13 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Greetings from Riga, Latvia!

Last weekend I had to run a corporate event on T122 + iDR48.

Everything is quite straight forward and easy to use, however I got confused with 2 things.

First of all after I have created 2 scenes (one to enable submixer with orchestra, other for the band), it turned out I need extra matrix for TV people. By adding this extra stereo bus I got everything in place, but all faders down and delays that I had on LR and Front Fill outputs were shifted to another outputs where they shouldn’t be. How come? I could imagine that these things could be out of scenes, but why would it change existing mix and assigned output state?
    Next thing was Scene Safes – I had 2 channels where I’ve turned on phantom, put these inputs in Safe and after recalling 2-nd scene my 2 inputs lost phantom. Is there some info what is included in Safes and what’s not?

thanks, ddff

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Einars

It is not recommended that customers change there mix configuration during setup this should be configured before your start. The delay change with mix config is a known issue and will be fixed in a future release of firmware.
    As for the scene safes, we currently do not safe the preamp settings for input channels this is expected in future firmware.

Hope this helps
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Hi, Sam!

thanks for answers.
    Of course, I know it’s not recommended, but real life is full of surprises and there are problems that need to be solved instantly. For example band came and told everything is as in rider, but in airport we met one good friend he will be with them so we need 1 more stereo aux for his IEM, etc. These things just happen. I was expecting my new bus will be unasigned to any inputs, etc. However I didn’t expect it would shift all existing setup. I believe this can be fixed in next FW versions.

What scene safes do now? Is it like in analog console just mute safe? Or is it fader and mute safe? Does it make safe EQ as well? What about bus and output safes? What is included and what’s not?

If I can’t do complete safe for the channel is there any option to upgrade all scenes with settings for any particular channel? For instance – we done 5 bands soundcheck, stored scenes, it turned out it some inputs will be DJ and there is DI used that needs phantom. How do I upgrade all scenes to have these changes included?

ddff

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

The I-Live has a truckload of busses available.

I would highly recommend standardising as much as possible and using a similar configuration for all your gigs.

We have a config that works for 99% of the gigs we do.
    It means we can pre-label drum looms with I-Live input numbers,
    It means we can save scenes and recall and not have compatibility issues.

It means our surface layouts are compatible with different gigs and each of our engineers can have their own preferred surface layout without screwing up routing and outputs.

It means when a band turns up and needs 8 Auxes when their rider said 6 there is no problem. Or when a TV guy turns up and wants a feed we can flick him a matrix send.

Think of the most auxes, groups and matrix sends you will need for the biggest gig you do, then add a couple and run with that as your standard setup.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Hi Einars – as Sam stated- preamp settings are not safe – but everthing else is! Many have requested preamps get included and this feature is coming.

Richard
    IDR48/T112

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

millst- thank you for suggestion. I’ll try to figure out what would be the config that should work in most of cases, however it very much depends on FOH guy that might have some quick ideas any minute.

By the way – I got one puzzle yesterday: as there is no Gatet Reverb FX, engineer said he wanted a channel that would have following signal chain – compressor -> reverb -> gate. Aparently the best thing to do is to have a group, route there a channel with compressor enabled and then do insert for the group with reverb. However I have no idea how to put gate at the end of all this.

stix- I’ll check that out, but somehow I recall my EQ was changing between scenes even channels were put in SAFE. Could it be the desk remembers state of EQ when Safe was set, not the current state?

ddff

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

There is a gated reverb – and it’s called Gated Verb! And you also have a gate or ducker in the effects via the Dynamik FX shaper. EQ should not change on scene safe channels. Check you do have them Safe by push holding on the Scene Safe key – Safe’d channels will show on blue mix keys (Or sel key? can’t remember) or have a blue “SAFE” in the editor above the fader

Richard
    IDR48/T112

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Richard, thank you for answers. I will try that Gated Verb. The EQ – you’re right this section is not changing, the thing was changing is HP filter, but it’s in preamp section thats why.
    One more question – any chance to define bus sends to matrix with option pre/post bus EQ? For example if stereo matrix, that has main left&right in it is used for front/out fills, then I want it to be post L/R EQ, but when I use similar matrix for OB Van or just REC out, I’d prefer it does not have main EQ.

ddff

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

The way I do it is to assign the channels to the the main output mix faders but turn off the main EQ’s, and set the main faders to unity gain- then set up matrix mix’s to feed all your outputs and assign the main faders to each matrix. Use the eq’s on each matrix output as needed. That way you have separate processing for each output. You can then hide the main faders as they are now not really needed. I have this as my normal set up and have stereo matrix outputs set up to feed the main FOH, Stereo record outs, Delay feeds, front fills etc. As Toby (Millst) suggests – set up your mixer config to always include these matrix bus outputs so that you can easily add that extra output feed that you didn’t expect!

Richard
    IDR48/T112

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi ddff

quote:

The EQ – you’re right this section is not changing, the thing was changing is HP filter, but it’s in preamp section thats why.

The HPF Should be able to be Scene SAFE, does this not work for you?
    Please try again and let me know if it works on your system.

Are you running firmware 1.63?

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Strange… It seems HPF is in the safe. Can’t recreate that situation, let’s call it lack of experience:)
    And yes- I have 1.63.

Thanks, ddff

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.