Trim or Preamp on Surface

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Trim or Preamp on Surface

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of AppliedStucco AppliedStucco 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AppliedStucco
    AppliedStucco
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m using the Offline Editor just to learn how the iLive system works. Everything has been very easy, but I have a question:
    What’s the difference between “PreAmp on Surface” and “Trim on Surface”? In what sort of situations would I use either of the two?

It did take me some time to understand that the PreAmp is the actual analog preamp on the MixRack, but what about the Trim? Is it some sort of Master volume knob that any Surface connected to the system can have set differently? Why and how would I use the Trim knob?

Thank you in advance
    Paris

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

If you have a foh and monitor desk set up sharing the same input rack as there are not 2 separate head amps in the mix rack only one surface can be in control at once, Logical. So the deal would be one surface sets a reasonable amount of analogue gain for the channel then both surfaces switch to using Trim which gives + and – 24dB of digital gain to that channel. This prevents the monitor guy turning up the channel gain and affecting the FOH guys world or Vice Versa. Works like a dream.

AppliedStucco
    Participant

Thank you very much for your answer.

1. So on the “Main” Surface you would select PreampOnSurface to set global analogue gain and on the other Surface(s)/Editors of the system you would select TrimOnSurface for digital gain in-/decrease for specific needs?
    2. Why would an e.g. monitor engineer want a different input level than the FOH engineer?
    3. How come the Gain has no meter next to it to set the proper level?

I hope I’m not being annoying – I still don’t get the Trim thing 100% :)

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

if i need more gain/volume on the front during a show, i use the trim, therefore i do not affect the (volume) monitor sound.

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (and soon a dante

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

There is a meter above the LCD panel is there not?
    Failing that PFL has a meter or there is a meter in the Pre-Amp page I believe.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

If you’re working in the Editor program (not one of the surfaces) your metering is via the small meter next to the trim/gain pot at the top of the channel as well as within the channel expanded view (“Sel” button) on the Preamp or Superstrip tabs (“real” users correct me if I’m wrong please! I’m just learning this software!).

AppliedStucco
    Participant

Thank you all very much :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.