De-Linking dynamics on stereo groups

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions De-Linking dynamics on stereo groups

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ashley Ashley 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of schaibaa
    schaibaa
    Participant

Hi guys,

Is there a way to get separate L and R dynamics on a stereo group?

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Why would you want to do that? If it’s a stereo group and you had different dynamics on the L and R channels then you will get image shift. Perhaps you want that? Normally you would just use two mono groups.

Richard
    IDR48/T112

schaibaa
    Participant

Lets say you have guitar left and guitar right — If guitar left steps on a +10db pedal or something, I wouldn’t want that to duck guitar right. I understand how you’re saying it shifts the image, but in practice it can be the opposite.

De-Linking will let the image “breathe” without panned sources stomping on each other. Check Dave Rat’s blog for more details — It’s just quite a bit more tedious to setup/configure/manage double the groups — but I suppose it is necessary here.

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Have you seen Dave Rat`s introduction to mix with subgroup compressors? ;)

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Yeah read Dave rats articles and c why this would be useful. Also two mono grps don’t help much as you can’t pan between them like a stereo group. I guess we are stuck with using channel comps or the linked comps. I gather most digital consoles are limited in this area

Richard
    IDR48/T112

schaibaa
    Participant

With just two sources it becomes a somewhat smaller issue — however, you’re not panning 100% R and L on the guitar channels, so at some point you do want Guitar R to engage the compressor on Guitar L – somewhat rare. The bigger issue is that your groups will usually contain more than 2 inputs – like a lead and 2 or 3 backing vocals.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

True,

Then there seems indeed no other possibility then creating two mono groups and ganging compressor, limiter, fader, mute, delay and EQ.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

schaibaa
    Participant

Unfortunately even then it’s still not the same.

Problem is if you assign Guitar L to both groups, AFAIK you can’t adjust the send levels to those groups independantly. I don’t think it’s possible on the iLive.

Profile photo of Ashley
    Ashley
    Participant

I was trying the same thing, and obviously ran into the same issues…
    I do think it would be possible if you use Auxes instead of groups. The Mono auxes allow for different send levels to each aux and you could pan channels that way. It would also allow for seperate compression on the Auxes(so separate dynamics & panning)

the panning of instruments would be a complete nightmare though (i fear).

It would be nice if they added a button to disconnect the compressor, or make a dual mono compressor for this application.

actually an inverted pan link could also go a long way for this…

Profile photo of Kingrazor
    Kingrazor
    Participant

Is it possible this could be changed with a software update? Or is this something that can’t be changed?

Any possibility of GLD having the ability to separate dynamics?

Profile photo of Ashley
    Ashley
    Participant

I found (after mr. Rat pointing it out) a workaround(but still would like to have a unliked comp version), creating 2 stereo groups, then pan 1 groupmaster L, 1 groupmaster R. Then assign inputs to both groups. The comps remain linked, but since you only use 1 side of the stereo bus, thats ok.
    Gang the the groups, an there you go!

It will consume quite a bit of busses, but as FOH, you normaly have enough of them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.