Phantom Power Issue

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Phantom Power Issue

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of schaibaa schaibaa 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of schaibaa
    schaibaa
    Participant

Hello guys,

T112/idr 48 here. Was mixing a show last night – was using SM81’s for hats and was having some weird issues.

When I was increasing the pre-amp level to get enough signal from the mic, it reached a point where it would just burst into clipping. Hard hits would go from registering -30 on the meter with the pad engaged and the pre-amp on 10 — but then when I’d turn the pre-amp to 11, the input signal would clip. This was festival style so I skipped over them initially because I was in a time crunch.

I was using a beta 91 for kick, also requires 48v, those were the only 2. In a set change I swapped the SM81 on the hats for an SM57. Well, same drummer came back on in the same kit and now the beta 91 was doing the exact same thing that the Sm81 was doing (81 was patched into channel 3 originally, 91 on channel 1). I swapped the 91 for an SM57 and it worked fine.

At first I thought it was the SM81 because it was a brand new mic and I thought it might be defective – but after the problem moving from channel 3 to channel 1, I have to suspect some other issue — anyone experienced this?

I just setup my idr48 again and couldn’t replicate the issue. I’d hate for this to be an intermittent issue that haunts me for ever. Any thoughts?

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

We run multiple microphones on phantom power (including sm81s)and have not had this issue. This last week we ran some very demanding(phantom power wise)microphones and they operated flawlessly. Check your cables for intermittent issues. It may be you have some damaged cables that can still pass signal but not let enough phantom power get through.

112T/IDR48

schaibaa
    Participant

I’d be surprised if this was a cabling issue. The reason it’s weird is that the Beta 91 in the kick was fine until the SM81 was replaced with a dynamic mic, then the issue moved to the Beta 91. It’s not like the 81 was off for a while, and then the 91 started acting up — the first kick drum hit of the set after replacing the 81 with a 57, it was screwed up.

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

Never hurts to check out the cables first it’s the easy fix and you can’t move to the next step of IDing the issue without ruling out your cables.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

schaibaa
    Participant

I got the console out again today — upon further review, activating 48v on a channel causes the input meter to bounce up and down a bit with or without something attached. In addition, the pad does a similar thing — just a single bounce though. I can also hear a click when I engage the pad from the surface.

Anyone else able to replicate this?

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Yeah I think that’s normal for the meters to move a bit when you activate phantom. Does it on my T112 also.

Richard
    IDR48/T112

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Adam

The symptoms you are experiencing are normal with your iDR48. The bounce you are seing in the DC change when activating phantom power, it should settle after a few seconds.
    The single bounce you see on the pad should also settle with time and should only be seen if phantom power has just been activated.
    The click that you hear from the mixrack when you press the pad switch is a relay in the mixer switching over to a different gain stage.

All of these symptoms are normal for the system and should not cause any problem if normal practice is carried out when using the mixer.

E.g. Mute the channel before changing phantom power & PAD settings

Hope this helps

Sam A&H

schaibaa
    Participant

Ok, thanks — I figured as much.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.