wireless

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CallumB CallumB 14 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

any recomendations for “best” wireless solution
    (what kind of router)welcome here….

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (and soon a dante

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

I just could recommend an Dual Band Router that works in 5GHZ Mode too. The 2.4GHZ Mode is often full…

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

Unless you spend over a grand they are pretty much the same except for quality control and the software. I have had 2 consumer linksys units go bad on me so I am a little down on them right now. My current router is a Zyxel only time will tell on it.

112T/IDR48

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

I use linksys wireless units in our racks but I always replace the firmware with ddwrt. It is much more stable and powerful and unlike the standard linksys firmware includes a DHCP server so you don’t need to set a manual IP address for your laptop.

We have been testing running a FOH link (including ACE) over wireless as a redundant link with some success using the ubiquity gear which I rate very very highly.

ACE will traverse an 802.11n network no problem so long as your wireless gear supports layer 2 bridging (which ubiquity does).

Cheers
    Toby

Profile photo of CallumB
    CallumB
    Participant

I would recommend getting a couple of mikrotik routerboards.
    The RB433AH is a fairly powerfull router (Used by many wireless Internet Service Providers)
    RB433AH https://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?showProduct=37
    A Pair of those with suitable radio cards:
    https://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?showProduct=69
    IE four of the above cards, and antennas to suit the location.

The routers can then be configured to use both cards to increase performance, and provide redundancy incase one link fails.
    One card can operate in each band 2.4/5.8 or they could both operate in the 5.8 band on different channels.

Mikrotik has distributors in most countries.

This setup will allow seamless layer 2 bridging, If all youre wanting is a router for use with a laptop, Then one of the RB433AH and one of the cards will suffice. I would recommend using the 5.8 band if your laptop supports is.

There are also some really nice rack mount enclosures available for these boards.

Callum Brieske
    ML Consultants
    New Zealand

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.