Powerline

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of millst millst 14 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gijsbert
    Gijsbert
    Participant

Hello everybody,

Just a stupid question:

if i would use a belkin powerline 1 Gbit(=500 mbit, but twice)instead of a utp connection between the mixrack and the surface of a t112 and idr 32, would that work?

it would mean i could run just a simple power cable from the rack to the surface, running both power and ace….

it looks too good to be true!???

greetings,

Gijsbert

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Gijsbert

In theory, it should be possible to transport ACE over any 100 megabit bidirectional link. However, power line networking works using modems, which are not guaranteed to work at any particular speed (500 megabit is the theoretical maximum, not a guarantee). On top of that, where most network applications use TCP/IP, and so do not care if a few packets are lost in transmission, every ACE packet which is dropped results in a lost audio sample, which can cause audible interference.
    In a live sound situation where high power lights and other devices are being turned on and off constantly, the power lines will be subjected to significant noise and spikes which will then interrupt the power line networking connection and hence the ACE audio stream. The power line networking itself can also easily interfere with other mains-powered devices you may be using.
    With all this in mind, and looking at user reviews of the device you mention, I would be surprised if you were able to achieve satisfactory performance using power line networking systems to run ACE.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of Gijsbert
    Gijsbert
    Participant

Thanks Jeff,

I was just wondering, i used this setup with a lighting desk once with a 85mbit homeplug and it worked fine. I allready understood the 85 mbit or even the 200 mbit homeplug would be a big risk, but a friend used the new belkin powerline and i saw the 1 gbit specs. That made me curious.

I use my setup, a t112 and idr32, in small theatres so a 20 meter powercable is enough. I#7743; allways looking for easier setup, but in the end i have to lay a cable anyway so i’ll stick to my ftp cat5 cable.

thanks again

gijsbert

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Gijsbert

The lighting controller may well have used TCP/IP, which would have meant that any interruptions in the connection would have gone unnoticed. Of course you are welcome to try out the powerline networking equipment, and you may have success, but since we have not tested it, I can only go on how I expect the system to perform.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

hi gijsbert,
    in your case, i don´t think that it´s really productive.
    please check it with a much longer power cable, like 100m at least!

greetings from hamburg

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

i know someone using the powerline-ethernet option to have access to the controller of the kling&freitag system.
    that was a solution to control the pa from the FOH, but it doesn´t worked satisfying. the ethernet signal was always interrupted, because of the length of the powercable, we guess!

greetings from hamburg

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

This is the sort of solution that will work fine….
    until it doesn’t any more.

It will usually stop working properly right in the middle of the show.

It only needs to be unreliable in one venue for it to be useless.

What happens when somebody turns on a noisy kitchen appliance halfway through the show and takes down your PA system…..

“Umm sorry everyone, the PA stopped working because somebody turned on a microwave in the kitchen”.

Not a good look, wouldn’t even risk it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.