Digital mic splitting – Foh / Montior

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Digital mic splitting – Foh / Montior

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCC GCC 14 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CaptainF
    CaptainF
    Participant

Hi:)

I was wondering if anyone could explain how you set up a system with just 1 mixrack and two surfaces or surface/laptop (one for FOH, one for monitor) and being able to do a digital mic split.
    With this achieving shared gain but separte trims and so on.

Is it correct that you need a card fitted in Port B in order to do this splitting?

The setup I am thinking of is like the one talked about here:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AllenandHeathUK#p/u/1/d8Ufwp3pa-U

Thanks in advance:)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Just route each input to 2 strips, it’s that simple. No card needed provided you can do the job with 32 channels.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of Gijsbert
    Gijsbert
    Participant

I’m sorry captainf if i’m ahead of you…

few questions:

-where do i connect my second surface?
    -the mixrack does all the processing, if i change something on 1 surface, doesn’t it change also on the other surface?
    -what is the best ip-configuration for the second/monitor surface?

Thanks so far, sounds really interesting!!

Gijsbert

CaptainF
    Participant

Thanks Wouter.

Tested it out in editor just now, and works really good:)

I guess with more than 32 channels you would have to expand the system then? To do the same thing. At least if you need to control all channels individually from both FOH and monitor.

– CaptainF

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi All

Just to Clarify the iLive system does not currently support 2 surfaces connected to 1 mixrack.

quote:

– CaptainF
    I guess with more than 32 channels you would have to expand the system then? To do the same thing. At least if you need to control all channels individually from both FOH and monitor.

Yes, You would need to add another iDR mixrack and either setup the system in dual mixrack mode or use the iDR Mixracks seperately having the surface control 1 mixrack and the laptop controlling the 2nd mixrack.

Hope this helps
    Sam A&H

CaptainF
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stealth
    Just to Clarify the iLive system does not currently support 2 surfaces connected to 1 mixrack.

Yes, You would need to add another iDR mixrack and either setup the system in dual mixrack mode or use the iDR Mixracks seperately having the surface control 1 mixrack and the laptop controlling the 2nd mixrack.

From the documentation I read, this was the conclusion I got too.
    But that video got me confused, hehe. Probably because I didnt pay attention to the 32-channel stuff they talked about

Thanks for clarifying this, Sam:)

– CaptainF

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Gijsbert

I’m sorry captainf if i’m ahead of you…

-where do i connect my second surface?

Gijsbert

As you probably already know by now, in the video they had a setup consisting of one surface for monitor, and just a laptop with the editor for the FOH mix. Not two surfaces on one mix rack of course.

They could indeed see each others strips, but they agreed not to touch each others strips, and they also agreed on a gain-position and from that moment on they only would use the trim-control.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

We are using our system with the console(112T) at FOH and a couple of computers for monitor control connected to a single IDR48. You definitely have to work out the gain sharing and defining who can touch what but, after that it works good.

112T/IDR48

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

i do it all the time

basic setup is “physical” gain on monitors,
    therefore the foh guy has “freedom” with the trim, on the laptop (monitor) i have anyway custom strip layout… (i have the foh channels coloured green and the monitor channels blue to avoid errors – and- of course the monitor channels are not routed to the mains (security).(intercom if a physical gain neds to be changed with the foh guy)

too i bought a pl-6 where i prepared scenes so i can run around stage and setup each musicians monitor standing beside him REALLY convenient ! one is so much quicker (communication speeds up a incredible amount standing right beside the musician on stage during monitor check)

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (and soon a dante

Profile photo of GCC
    GCC
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by kentlowt

We are using our system with the console(112T) at FOH and a couple of computers for monitor control connected to a single IDR48. You definitely have to work out the gain sharing and defining who can touch what but, after that it works good.

112T/IDR48

YEah. We use the iLive 176 and when the musicians come for prac we’d adjust the stage monitors via a laptop on the stage. That saves us frm running all the way back to the FOH position to do it. Just make sure during ‘live’ performance both Mon and FOH operator does not touch the same fader at the same time. This is true especially if you’re in ‘Mix’ mode.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.