Dante card: Dante testing is complete

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dante card: Dante testing is complete

This topic contains 95 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I think that should work – but risky as you’d be relying on a laptop and it’s external soundcard to stay stable! You would have no easy backup system should it fall over and you will also have the combined latency of the Dante network and the external soundcard.
    Perhaps a better solution would be to get something like an XTA NXBoB8/16 or a Lab/Lake LM26 processor/s to drive your amps instead? The XTA units will take Dante inputs and route to 8 or 16 analogue outputs, the LM26 has Dante,analogue and digital inputs (2ch) and 6 analogue or AES outputs so would be a good choice for speaker pocessing as well. The LM26 also has input priority switching so if the Dante signal is lost it can switch to say the XLR analogue inputs > show could go on!

MC2 Audio also do the TiBOB8DX – 8 channel Dante: XLR
    https://www.mc2-audio.co.uk/Ti_Series/data-sheet.pdf
    Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

<blockquote id=”quote”><font size=”1″ face=”Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=”quote”>quote:<hr height=”1″ noshade id=”quote”>Originally posted by Joe90

Wouter,
    Probably more reliable would be an iDR Out in your amp rack which gives 8 XLR outs but according to the A&H website you need a M-MMO card to link it to the iDR MixRack which obviously uses up your Port B slot which is a shame.
    [/quote]

On the software side, I would do some experiments with audio repeaters like VAC (Virtual Audio Cable:
    https://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm#features)

I would then use the command-line options to start repeating automatically.
    Audio Repeater accepts several command-line options, allowing to pre-configure it:

/Input:<str>
    /Output:<str>
    /SamplingRate:<num>
    /BitsPerSample:<num>
    /Channels:<num>
    /ChanCfg:<str>
    /BufferMs:<num>
    /Buffers:<num>
    /Priority:<str>
    /WindowName:<str>
    /AutoStart
    /CloseInstance:<str>

XTA and Lake also have Dante products. XTA has a Dante Breakout box with 8 out which costs approx 2080€ ex VAT.
    (Xta NXBoB8)
    https://www.audiocore.co.uk/news09-BritRow_Breakouts.html
    [img][/img]
    Maybe A&H can broaden the offer?

Update: Check focusrite’s Rednet (Dante in and out boxes)

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming![img][/img]

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Mail Audinate with the question of when they are thinking of delivering… I already did…eagerly waiting for an answer.

https://www.audinate.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Wouter

Please see my post here https://www.allen-heath.com/iliveforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1411#3198

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Also got the message from my importer that delivery time was 5 weeks.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of robc
    robc
    Participant

Hi,

A&H appreciates that some iLive customers are frustrated concerning the delay in shipping the Dante module.

The 64 channel Dante module is new technology for Audinate and has required considerable engineering effort beyond the existing 16 channel module. There have been various delays on the project that have resulted in product not reaching you. We understand customers are waiting, however we cannot ship the module before the beta test programme is complete.

We look forward to giving you some good news in the near future.

Rob Clark
    R&D

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Hey Rob, as frustrating as the wait is, it would be worse to have shelled out big bucks on the card when it isn’t ready – better to wait (hopefully not too long!) and avoid the problems I say ;)

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Audinate told me:

“Dear Wouter,

The latency settings on Dante Virtual Soundcard represent the realities of network packet processing on typical computers and computer operating systems. A lower setting would simply exceed the capabilities of machines on the marketplace today. To complicate matters, laptops typically have lower throughput than desktops due to power saving concerns.

Another thing to consider is that plug-ins like Waves introduce their own latency, independent of Dante Virtual Soundcard. This is also a function of computer performance.

We developed the Dante PCIe card in order to provide a super low-latency solution for cases like this. The Dante PCIe handles all packet processing in hardware so that it is much faster than Dante Virtual Soundcard. Unfortunately for laptop users, this requires a desktop-style machine that can host full PCIe cards.

Dante Virtual Soundcard works beautifully for its intended purposes, and pushes computer performance as far as it is reasonable to go. For applications that demand very low latency, we will offer the Dante PCIe via Focusrite later this summer as a solution.”

“Significantly lower latency settings for Dante Virtual Soundcard are physically impossible with current commercial computing systems – if implemented, they would simply fail because we would exceed the packet processing capacities. The only viable solution is hardware based, ergo the Dante PCIe card.

Our current roadmap does not have a PCI ExpressCard version nor a Linux version of Dante Virtual Soundcard, but as expected we are always observing and sizing up business opportunities. If either of those appears to be viable from a business perspective, they will eceive consideration. Thank you for your suggestions.”

Are there other people that would consider using DVS on a linux environment, if drivers were available?

Wouter

Profile photo of MissingLink
    MissingLink
    Participant

I would prefer to work in Linux with Dante and the virtual sound card.

Biggsounds
    Participant

So I just got off the phone with the Australian distributor and they have confirmed M-Dante cards are arriving this coming Monday!!! Happy easter to us ;)

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Biggsounds

We are currently testing a new Dante firmware release which we received earlier this week. It seemes very unlikely that you could receive a card by the 25th of this month.

Sorry

– Jeff, A&H

Biggsounds
    Participant

Bugger, I guess there was a communication breakdown there :(

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Sorry Biggsounds.

We had been saying at Frankfurt that we *hope* to be shipping within a couple of weeks. Perhaps someone heard that and thought it meant users would have cards in their hands in a couple of weeks.

We are very frustrated by delays with the Dante card. All I can say is that we do not want to ship the cards until we are happy with the firmware that will go out on them, and this is not directly in our control, as the firmware is of course written by Audinate in Australia. I believe we have over 100 modules waiting for firmware so that they can be shipped out.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Biggsounds
    Participant

That’s cool Jeff, I totally agree that this can’t be rushed (I mean they retail for over $2k here, I don’t want it to be glitchy when I install it!).
    Any Sydneysider iLive users care to go knock on Audinate’s door and tell them to get a wriggle on? ;)

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of jimvoyager
    jimvoyager
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

That’s cool Jeff, I totally agree that this can’t be rushed (I mean they retail for over $2k here, I don’t want it to be glitchy when I install it!).
    Any Sydneysider iLive users care to go knock on Audinate’s door and tell them to get a wriggle on? ;)

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Yea sure where do they live?
    Jim

R72 & IDR32

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.