Dante card: Dante testing is complete

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dante card: Dante testing is complete

This topic contains 95 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

Hi Gil;

I didn’t know I could convert cat5 to Adat out so cheap. Good to know.

On the other hand even if I do that, the computer(laptop) side needs a solution like “M-Audio Profire Light bridge Firewire Interface” to accept 32 channels. So it is another expense plus fragile optical cables in the equation. But it is still a solution.

Which interface do you use to accept 32ch Adat outs?

Burak

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

Gil;
    Is there a noticeable latency difference between the converted adat and the card adat?

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

The BIG headache for us at the moment is only one card slot. We’ve always recorded to Alesis HD24 via ADAT but if we do FOH/Mons split, then both mixrack card slots are occupied by an ACE card which means we can’t easily record at the moment. I’d love there to be a solution to this. The iLive/T system is otherwise amazing I have to say. Adrian.

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by adethefade

The BIG headache for us at the moment is only one card slot. We’ve always recorded to Alesis HD24 via ADAT but if we do FOH/Mons split, then both mixrack card slots are occupied by an ACE card which means we can’t easily record at the moment. I’d love there to be a solution to this. The iLive/T system is otherwise amazing I have to say. Adrian.

see link: https://www.ilive-digital.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1141
    you only need one ace connection in the Slave rack ( port A) to use dual rack configuration from V1.63 on.You can use the portB from the slave rack to get 64 channels out (MADI,DANTE.) or even with the multi output expantion card to have Adat out.

Lieven

T112/IDR48
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’d soooo love that to be the case, but not if we need to use two surfaces apparently…please tell me I’m wrong! Ade

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

You are right, if you want to connect one surface to the master rack (FOH) and an other to the slave rack (MON) and split digital between them than you use up all the ACE connections and slots
    I was referring to the setup with one surface and 2 racks + record. sorry

Lieven

T112/IDR48
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Well, what are main benefits of using Dante instead of MADI? For some reason I believe there is more MADI hardware arround that can be used for recording or channel splitting. Dante is quite new player and not very popular so far. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Cost I would think would be the first benefit over MADI! I’m about to buy an iLive system and a deciding factor for me is the ability to multitrack shows – if I put the MADI card in I’m the up for at least a couple of thousand dollars for an interface (say RME), whereas the Dante system from my understanding won’t even need a professional soundcard, but just a solid gigabit Ethernet connection. Big plus for my budget (I can pour that unspent MADI fund into a better computer!)!

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Well, yes – as for multitrack recording/playback via PC or MAC. But MADI allows you to have digital split to majority other brands consoles. I.e. you can have iLive working with Digico or PRO6 if you like.
    Will this Dante interface allow to have a digital split to another iDR like ACE or MADI does?

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by adethefade

I was just thinking that maybe this could be solved with two Dante cards and a high quality router/hub. If you would use the Dante network to get the audio out of your first rack, put that through a high quality network router/hub and from there go to your second rack via that second Dante that you put in the second rack AND to your recording computer.
    This should actually work, I think. A&H? What do you think? Am I right here?

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Hey Wouter – I was thinking the exact same thing! – Better still if they included additional network ports directly from the Dante cards! Plus integrated control of the Dante network into the ilive operating system?

Richard
    IDR48/T112

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi All

I thought I would try to answer some of your questions, since there seems to be a lot of interest in this card. Please note that this is preliminary information and not a final specification for the card.

1) You will be able to use a Dante card for digital splits to A&H or 3rd party devices.
    2) Dante is a fully networked system, so you can connect many devices in a star topology to a Gigabit Ethernet switch, and route signals freely between them. This includes one-to-many signal routing. The main routing restriction is that a maximum of 64 channels can be routed to/from the Mix Rack Port B.
    3) It will be possible to connect the iLives to the same network as Dante, using the same network switches. There is a 3rd RJ45 on the Dante card to minimise the cabling required to achieve this (as with the ACE card, this can be plugged into a Mix Rack ‘Network’ socket).
    4) The first firmware version to support the Dante card will not incorporate Dante network control – you will have to use Audinate’s application to control the network.

Hope this helps

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Thanks so much for the info Jeff, I think the suspense was playing havoc with more than one contributors nerves! That all sounds fantastic, now we’re just waiting on final specs and the all important price!
    This card is the final piece of the puzzle for me as far as coming on board and purchasing the iLive, so I’m waiting with baited breath!

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Thanks for that info Jeff! So can you confirm that you will be able to send the iLive control data over the Dante network? For example with two mixracks, both fitted with Dante cards in port B, and network linked to effectively be an ACE replacement? Hey if that was possible perhaps you could call it ABCDE Audio Via port B and Control over Dante and Ethernet!! [:D] He He

I’ve just ordered a IDR16 (+ possible R72) to add to our IDR48/T112 and want to make the right choice for future expansion of the port B cards. I gather at the moment with firmware 1.63 I will need 1 x ACE card in the master rack to do dual mixrack mode, or an ACE card in both mixracks port B to do a full monitor split (with two surfaces) – is that correct? If the Dante cards can also achieve this then I think I’d wait for their release as at some stage we may also get other dante enabled products (Lab Gruppen amps for example). Can you provide any info on this?

Cheers

Richard
    IDR48/T112

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

I gather at the moment with firmware 1.63 I will need 1 x ACE card in the master rack to do dual mixrack mode, or an ACE card in both mixracks port B to do a full monitor split (with two surfaces) – is that correct?

Hi Richard

Yes, this is correct. You will not be able to use Dante for dual Rack in this situation, as the slave rack must use Port A to connect to the master, which in the case of the iDR-16 will be fixed as ACE. You will however be able to put a Dante card in Port B of the Slave rack in this situation. For FoH/Monitor split, you will be able to use Dante.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 96 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.