Dante card: Dante testing is complete

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dante card: Dante testing is complete

This topic contains 95 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Thank you A&H !!!!

I just read on the website
    “3/24/2010 ALLEN & HEATH ANNOUNCES MODULE FOR AUDINATE’S DANTE NETWORKING”

I love it!
    So, what shall we do with it?

1. Well, first of all, get rid of all those old-fashioned MD- or CD-desks, iPods.(*) From now on, all audio (also test signals) on my laptop, moreover play/stop of my media player controlled by MIDI, just like the scene changes on the iLive (theater use, scene fading please though!), everything triggered with footswitches, yeah!
    (*) and finally also of old-fashioned MADI, dinosaur ADAT and way overpriced Ethersound

2. Live multitrack recordings directly on my laptop, yeah!

3. Virtual soundchecking? I guess I’d have to route the Dante inputs to 33-64 and do a complete ganging of all parameters of all pairs of channels 1-33, 2-34, 3-35, etc. for now?

4. Maybe run the live mix digitally to the Lab.gruppen Power Amp 14000?

Anyone else got more astonishing ideas on how to use this expansion?

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

aaargh i want it NOW (consider this a very big font)….
    1:festival
    – yes we can record (250 us that`s cheap!!!)
    – bring your hdd
    – i know its 64 channels your music will be somewhere there
    – no i dont do a custom patch for you, just delete whats empty
    – drums are probably the first twelve channels and ambi channel 63/64 uahauha…..
    replace the dreadful pianosound from “the artists” keyboard with a good sampler e.t.c.
    i am getting dizzy so many things to do-places to go…..[:D][8D]

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 /

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

i am just looking forward to running CAT5 from my MIX rack to my LAKE DLP and my PLM amps!
    then when Link finish the LK Dante Stage Boxes, im looking forward to running cat5 form stage to my MIXRACK!

Profile photo of Gijsbert
    Gijsbert
    Participant

hello,

some remarks:
    -dante only supports only 48 ch. in and 48 ch. out,
    -and only when using 1 Gbit equipment and Cat6 cable, cat 5 cable is restricted to 100 mbit

This is according to the audinate site, strangely enough audinate doesn’t compare dante to madi.

i’m sorry if i’m a bit crittical…

have fun!

Gijsbert

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

you are corrrrect sir
    anyway 48 covers my needs,
    the main advantage is not having any sloppy pcie things to plug anymore,
    as laptops are getting worse for us audio people ( firewire is out pcmcia is gone (wich in my opinion was the most reliable) ) i gave up on laptops…
    as a rental company we are anyway “moving furniture” so it does not matter to bring a “full” computer and a screen with you.
    After all for the same amount of money you`d spend on a laptop, one builds a dedicated audio machine much more reliable,
    on the side i am working on a linux machine,
    i am really sick of mac and windows (i use both in my studio).
    once i am in a “advanced” stage with that project i`ll open a thread here.

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (and soon a dante

Gijsbert
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, i’m not saying Dante is bad, but it is not the Holy grail of audio distribution. It needs a lot of bandwith if you want to send signals from A to B without any latency problems. So connecting a laptop with Dante virtual soundcard (love that!) trough the ace network from the surface to the mixrack is out of the question. Like i said, cat5 is restricted to 100 mbit in optimal situation, ace use about 90 mbit continously, leaving about 10 mbit for dante. that’s enough for a few channels i guess.

Anyway, i hope to try it in the future, in the mean time i’ll stick to Madi over fibre optics….

Greetings!

gijsbert

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi All

Just to clear up a few details on this:

The 48×48 channel limit for Dante only applies to 100 megabit solutions. We plan to support 64×64, as with most of our other Option Cards.

Secondly, ACE uses ~99.5 megabits/second – remember that there is control data being transported in addition to the audio streams.

Lastly, the Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T) standard only requires Cat5 cable. It does however use all four twisted pairs of the cable.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Gijsbert
    Participant

Hello again,

Sounds great, thanks for the explanation, jeff. All i wanted to make clear is that it the information from audinate and A&H didn’t comply with the rather wild ideas i read on the forum… Based on the information i have now, it sounds even better!

thanks again,

Gijsbert

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I’ll reserve my WHOO HOOO AWESOME! comment until we know the $$$ for hardware with virtual soundcard licence fee!
    We are excited about having Dante incorporated into the product offerings of Allen & Heath,” stated Lee Ellison, CEO of Audinate.” Well -So are we if the price is right! Hope it’s not up there with the Ethersound fees.

Edit:
    I see that Yamaha’s Dante card with license is not to expensive: “The Dante-MY16-AUD card (Yamaha) is available at MSRP of USD $649. Each card comes with a licensed copy of the Dante Virtual Soundcard capable of up to 64×64 bidirectional channels.”

….. very hard to hold back the WHOO-HOOO!!

Richard
    IDR48/T112

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

capable of up to 64×64 bidirectional channels.”[/i]

….. very hard to hold back the WHOO-HOOO!!

I’m also curious what the price setting will be.

True, one of the most important things is that Dante is based on standard IP-technology, thereby avoiding the need for a Dante interface in the computer. This also allows using standard (but quality) network hardware to build the network. Most computers (also laptops) nowadays are equipped with Gigabit Ethernet cards, and since this is more commonly used hardware, the drivers are often better developed and tested than those of dedicated soundcards (or if they are, the price tag reflects it).

If latency is as low as promised, and if A&H will provide this kind of routing possibilities it could also open the door to integrating (professional) software based effects in the mix. In that case, we should start thinking of options to (automatically?) compensate for (very small) amounts of latency though, just like in DAW systems.

Live recording: So far, we have been using a very simple Linux based freeware to do our live multitrack recordings on a Macbook Pro. Set-up within 5 minutes and running without a hassle.

Wouter

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

Do we know the release date for the DANTE card yet [?]

I’m a Yamaha LS9-32 user and can record 32 channel to laptop via 2x mLan card. It is relatively easy and cost efficient.

Dante solution looks like the most logical way to go.

I’m seriously considering an IDR-32, but I need to be able to record 32 channels.
    I’m holding the purchase until I see Dante’s release.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by letmefix

Do we know the release date for the DANTE card yet [?]

Prosoundweb states in this article:
    https://www.prosoundweb.com/article/allen_38_heath_introduces_larger_ilive_mix_rack/

iLive Firmware and Editor software version 1.7 will be released alongside the release of the iDR-64, supporting the iDR-64 MixRack, as well as the new Dante and Rocknet audio networking cards, which join the ACE, EtherSound, MADI and MMO options currently available. The software will also provide support for an iPhone app.

Anthony Jackson just said that the release is foreseen in July.
    The A&H Dante card will be 64 channels bidirectional.

Same thoughts here,
    Wouter

Wouter

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

Very good news indeed.
    I hope it won’t cost a leg & an arm.

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Hi Letmefix.

You can record 32 channels even without the Dante card.
    All you need is the Mini-Multi-Out card.
    You can do Aviom and then use the 3 ADAT ports for your first 24channels,
    Than switch one of your DR out ports to output HearBus, than buy the $60 converter that Hear Technologies makes to convert to ADAT and get your final 8 channels.
    You can use an interface like the presonus Firestudio Lightpipe, and get all 32 channels in.

I’m doing this with a client right now. No complaints yet.

I do like the Dante option a lot. I do not find it as limiting as some of the posters here mentioned. If you look around, you will find that most other IP protocols are a lot more limited than Dante.
    Also notice that distributing MADI is not easy at all.

Just my2cents.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

I’m teetering on the edge of buying an iDR32 as well, just looking into the recording setup…the Dante card sounds like the best bet, as long as I can get a laptop/PC/DAW combo stable enough to track 32 channels – would love to hear thoughts from anyone doing something similar with the mixracks (via MADI or otherwise).
    My current recording medium is a Fostex D2424LV hard disk system which has been almost perfectly stable, but is getting on, weighs much more than the iDR32, and takes an inordinate amount of time to transfer files, so I’m hoping I can find a way to unclutter my life with this rack solution!
    PS I’m initially not planning on getting a control surface, but mixing via a laptop/PC (separate to the one that will run the Dante recording setup I’d imagine)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.