iLive Editor for Linux

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions iLive Editor for Linux

This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of millst millst 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of przemko
    przemko
    Participant

thanks a lot for Linux version :) It works well on my Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Edition (eee PC).

Could we expect soon the version that works also with the mix rack only and perhaps in the offline mode ?

best regards

Przemko

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

OK I admit to feeling a bit smug I too with a bit of much appreciated help have editor running on my Acer netbook (way below spec so a little slow) Ubuntu Reload (based on 9.10) very impressed big thanks to the team in Kernow you would not get this level of support from other manufacturers me thinks.

Now let me see what is next on my wish list.[:D]

Profile photo of Focus-Studio
    Focus-Studio
    Participant

hi i wish to instal 1.7 editor in unbutu 10 how i do it ? the file that i download are not run by it self it ask for a pgm to execute…

thanks
    Andreas

2x t112 1 x idr 32 1 x idr 48

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Andreas

The Linux release is designed for people who are Linux enthusiasts, and we don’t offer formal support for this platform.

You were redirected to this thread, and on the previous page there are instructions on how to get the binary installer to run.

If the instructions are unfamiliar to you, you could try googling around for more general linux Q & A’s

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/can-linux-execute-binary-files-250994/

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of MissingLink
    MissingLink
    Participant

I am a Ubuntu 10.4 user (a Linux using since 1994). I have several close friends who are Java programmers. Any chance you could use some help adding functionality to the Linux version?

I am considering a iLive system and have a friend with one, but am disappointed I can’t use the Linux version of the software to control just the mixrack.

Since Java is suppose to be “write once – run anywhere” code, can you explain the difficulties in creating a full function Linux version?

Thanks

Profile photo of frank
    frank
    Participant

We just ordered a mixrack, and would really like to use a tablet running linux to control it. Is there any reason why offline and mixrack only is not supported on linux? For now, we’ll have to settle for windows 7.

IDR32, PL10, Dell Latitute XT tablet
    Our adventures with this setup: https://gonnagles-engineering.blogspot.com

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hello All

RE the offline support for Linux, the app is mainly Java, but the offline portion is written in non-open source c++.

On the window release we compile a dll which the Java opens a socket to. Situation is similar on the mac with a dylib.

For Linux because of all the different flavours, you would need the same gcc / glibc that we use to compile the so library.

This isn’t impossible, but its a lot of time for us to compile the offline library for every different flavour of Linux in use by iLive customers.

We could lets say just support the latest incarnation of a popular distro, say Ubuntu, but there would have to be sufficient interest, and be on the understanding that we’re not going to support all flavours.

Hope this helps.

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of frank
    frank
    Participant

I see your problem. Support for Ubuntu 10.04 would be wonderful. I think that any engineer taking this seriously should run the editor on a clean and dedicated installation. If you could provide a version that works for Ubuntu 10.04, then I’m sure someone (me for example) will create a bootable USB image with that distribution and the editor, for the convenience of others.

Best,

Frank

IDR32, PL10, Dell Latitute XT tablet
    Our adventures with this setup: https://gonnagles-engineering.blogspot.com

Profile photo of MissingLink
    MissingLink
    Participant

I also understand your problem supporting multiple distributions. I worked with Linux software vendors in the past who had to deal with this. They would generally pick one or sometimes two distributions to support. While this changes over time, the current best distribution to support is Ubuntu. The distribution supported is less important than having a well supported Linux option!

Regards,

Mark

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

I don’t know anyone using Linux on the desktop for audio applications that isn’t using Ubuntu.
    Its the logical choice because of special media version available and the plethora of audio tools.

Software developers running Linux don’t generally run Ubuntu, but most end users do.

If there was a Linux only distribution that ran on Ubuntu, then its 99% likely that it would also run on Debian which is reasonably widespread. Ubuntu has more than 50% of the linux market share, and way more than that if you only count desktops / laptops.

On that note though, I hardly ever use offline so its not the end of the world. It would be nice to have an Ubuntu distribution of the software though, even if offline does not work. Is anyone keen to do this?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.