Dual MixRack inconnectivity – am I doing it right?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dual MixRack inconnectivity – am I doing it right?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stealth Stealth 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Clintage
    Clintage
    Participant

We have a T112 and two iDR32 mixracks. I want to run these 2 from the T112. I have upgraded to the latest firmware that allows the Dual MixRack. I’m looking for clarity on how to interconnect the two correctly.

From the “help” file, it seems that you need both MixRacks outfitted with an M-ACE cards or MADI cards. Is it possible to make this happen any other way as far as connectivity is concerned?

What i’ve tried is the following:

-T112 ACE jack to built-in ACE jack on MixRack 1
    -MixRack 1 M-ACE jack 1 to built-in ACE jack on MixRack 2
    -MixRack 2 has MMO expansion card for ADAT out to recording DAW

The short of my question is, is it possible to utilize the dual mixrack feature and keep my MMO card for recording output?

Thanks for any help you have to offer!

Profile photo of antonyja
    antonyja
    Participant

>>Is it possible to make this happen any other way as far as connectivity is concerned?

It is possible to use any bi-direction cards to make the link between the mix racks, so currently that is any card apart from the MMO.

>>The short of my question is, is it possible to utilize the dual mixrack feature and keep my MMO card for recording output?

No, unfortunately not with your setup. Currently port B needs to be used on both sides of bus link. We are looking at allowing port A to be used (at least on the Slave Mix Rack) for this link, in the next version of software (V1.70).

It would be possible to have your MMO for recording if you were using an iDR10 with a RAB2.

Antony Jackson
    Software Manager
    Allen & Heath Limited

Profile photo of Clintage
    Clintage
    Participant

Thanks Antony for the information! Am I correct in assuming that 1.70 is probably a ways off before release? A few months? Year?

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

Antony… if this is the case as you say with 1.7 that you can use an existing ACE port on the ‘fixed’ side of things…
    this would open up a whole new world of having multiple ‘port B’ cards/options…so in effect ‘port C’ and ‘port D’??? yes???

Profile photo of antonyja
    antonyja
    Participant

We have decided to put this change (to use Port A) into the next maintenance release (i.e. 1.62), so you will not have to wait too long.

>>multiple ‘port B’ cards/options…so in effect ‘port C’ and ‘port D’??? yes???

This would allow Port B to be assigned freely in the slave.

Antony Jackson
    Software Manager
    Allen & Heath Limited

Profile photo of cdennewitz
    cdennewitz
    Participant

I am sorry some of this has me slightly confused, but I have bought a T112, and have one IDR-32, and looking to now add another one. From what i read above it is that to do this I would need to give up my card slots on both IDR’s to make them ACE, to link them, but with new firmware it could be done with out needing to buy cards for those slots?

Chad

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Chad

With the current firmware you will need to purchase 2 module cards of your choice (ACE, EtherSound or MADI) put these modules in the port B slot of your mixracks and link your 2 mixracks with these modules.

With the release of 1.62 we intend to make it so that you only need to purchase 1 ACE module that you will fit into your Master mixrack Port B slot you then link from port B of your master mixrack to the Port A built in ACE port on the slave mixrack. This then leaves the slave mixrack Port B slot free to fit another module of your choice.

Hope this helps
    Sam A&H

cdennewitz
    Participant

Okay here is another question…With this setup is there any way to add a sepertate surface for monitors? I would be okay at this point if it was sharing the same controls and sharing resources as the FOH console. FOH would set preamps and channel controls and monitors would just be doning actual aux send mixing. I guess if I really needed to I could set up some of those inputs to come in on seperate processing channels as well. With two IDR’s I would have 128 channels of IP processing so I could do sepertate control over everything except the preamp. I will only be using around 40ish inputs. Does it sound as I am on the right track? At this point the A ACE port on the second IDR would be open, so I could plug the second surface in there?

Chad

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

I could be getting confused here (it is my advanced years) but you can add a second surface to act as a monitor console, been doing it for years. You need an additional mix processor though. iDR0 has no IO but all the processing you need, once the analogue gain is set you then disable this and use the digital trim controls (option in the pre-amp menu) on both surface’s. The second surface can provide host for output cards on an iLive I guess there must be some assignable outputs on T series surface, or you could replace the iDR0 with an iDR 32 or 48 which I know has some outputs.

Hope this makes sense, I am sure there is reference to this in the iLive user manual, this has some typical user set-ups which are helpful.

cdennewitz
    Participant

Mr B.
    I understand how this works with the standard setup but my confusion comes in when we are using firmware 1.61 where a single surface can be connected to two stage boxes and use the inputs, and Dsp from both. This allows for 128 channels of IP processing (still only 32 OP Processing), so from what I have read you can not do the traditional set up for monitors. I am new to to console, and trying to figure alot of things out. I am awaiting more info on this but with there already being two stage boxes in the mix, there is no where for the IDR0. However the second IDR still has the unsed ACE port on it to connect a second surface, I think.

Thanks!

Chad

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Chad

I am afraid we currently do not support dual surface connection with iLive, we are looking into this option for the future, Dual mixrack mode is for Input expansion for iLive systems not to be confused with FOH/Monitor split systems. If you wish to have a FOH/Monitor split you will need to have 2 seperate systems connected via port B.

Hope this helps
    Sam A&H

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.