Same Input to Two Strips

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Same Input to Two Strips

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dschmoldt dschmoldt 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dschmoldt
    dschmoldt
    Participant

New iLive T112 owner here. I’m trying to do something that seems like it should be simple, but I can’t figure out.

I have a CD player coming into surface inputs C1 and C2. Those are routed to inputs 57/58 as a stereo input. 57 and 58 are routed to the LCRSub outputs. No problem there. The CD goes to the auditorium speakers.

I want to create a second fader with the same C1/C2 inputs that will not go to the house speakers. It will be directed to an Aux and routed to the Lobby matrix. I want to be able to feed music to the lobby at times without it also going to the house.

So basically, one stereo fader will control the C1/C2 CD feed to the auditorium house speakers, and another stereo fader will control the C1/C2 CD feed to the lobby matrix through an aux.

It seems like I should be able to assign C1/C2 to as many inputs as I want, with each one routed or EQ’d differently. At least I could on my Yamaha DM1000. I just can’t find that magic screen on the T112 surface that ties the input ports to the channels. I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I hope that made sense.

Dave Schmoldt
    Theatre Cedar Rapids
    Cedar Rapids, IA USA

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

The magic screen is the Preamp screen for each DSP channel. hit select on the second channel you want to use, go to the preamp widow, assign to the same input (in your example C1/C2), colour & name as you like. Don’t assign the second channel to the main mix and that should do the trick for you.

Richard
    IDR48/T112

dschmoldt
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

The magic screen is the Preamp screen for each DSP channel. hit select on the second channel you want to use, go to the preamp widow, assign to the same input (in your example C1/C2), colour & name as you like. Don’t assign the second channel to the main mix and that should do the trick for you.

Thanks Richard. I tried that, and can bring Inputs 57/58 to that second fader. But it’s a locked mirror of the other 57/58. Mirrored routing and fader position. So basically the exact same fader to two strips.

C1/C2 are linked to Inputs 57/58. I want to ALSO link C1/C2 to inputs 63/64. I *think* that would allow me to have independent routing and fader levels. But I can’t seem to find the “patch panel” that joins C1/C2 to specific inputs.

David Schmoldt

Profile photo of simonstpauli
    simonstpauli
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dschmoldt

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

Thanks Richard. I tried that, and can bring Inputs 57/58 to that second fader. But it’s a locked mirror of the other 57/58. Mirrored routing and fader position. So basically the exact same fader to two strips.

C1/C2 are linked to Inputs 57/58. I want to ALSO link C1/C2 to inputs 63/64. I *think* that would allow me to have independent routing and fader levels. But I can’t seem to find the “patch panel” that joins C1/C2 to specific inputs.

David Schmoldt

Start thinking from the channel, not from the input.

So go to channel 63/64, in the preamp section you can select the input source.

You now have inputs 57/58 and 63/64 fed by the same physical inputs. The channels are independent (expect gain, pad and phantom power, as that are digitally controlled analog parameters). You can route them differently and use different channel processing.

Bringing up inputs (in that case 57/58) to different faders does indeed not change the channel properties. You could have channels 57/58 all over the desk on every fader and all these faders would move when you move one of them. Think of a surface fader (and adjectant strip) as an alias to a channel.

Christian Tepfer
    Hamburg, Germany

dschmoldt
    Participant

Thanks, Christian and Richard. That did it for me! – Dave

quote:

Start thinking from the channel, not from the input.

So go to channel 63/64, in the preamp section you can select the input source.

You now have inputs 57/58 and 63/64 fed by the same physical inputs. The channels are independent (expect gain, pad and phantom power, as that are digitally controlled analog parameters). You can route them differently and use different channel processing.

Bringing up inputs (in that case 57/58) to different faders does indeed not change the channel properties. You could have channels 57/58 all over the desk on every fader and all these faders would move when you move one of them. Think of a surface fader (and adjectant strip) as an alias to a channel.

Christian Tepfer
    Hamburg, Germany

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.