V1.60 Dual Racks

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions V1.60 Dual Racks

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds dnxmirrorsounds 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of teknik99
    teknik99
    Participant

Hi,

I read with great interest your article in the Knowledgebase” section of the learning centre with preliminary information about version 1.6 dual rack mode.

I have a couple of generic questions which even though its only prelimanary you may have the answers too.

1) you can link two racks together via port B and increase the number of inputs so a IDR48 linked to another IDR48 would give 96 input channels. The bus architecture remains at 32 but an IDR48 only has 24 outputs can 8 outputs from the second IDR48 be utilised to give 32 outputs?

2) Can differnt mixracks be linked say an IDR48 with a IDR32 or IDR16 or a full Ilive IDR10 with a T IDR48 or do the racks need to be identical.

I think this is going to be a huge step forward.

Lookiung forward to your response

Cheers

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi teknik99

Glad to hear your excited about dual mixrack

quote:

1) you can link two racks together via port B and increase the number of inputs so a IDR48 linked to another IDR48 would give 96 input channels. The bus architecture remains at 32 but an IDR48 only has 24 outputs can 8 outputs from the second IDR48 be utilised to give 32 outputs?

Yes. The slave mixracks output sockets are free to assign as you wish so you can have access to all 32 mix outputs over both mixracks.

quote:

2) Can different mixracks be linked say an IDR48 with a IDR32 or IDR16 or a full Ilive IDR10 with a T IDR48 or do the racks need to be identical.

Yes. You can mix and match as much as you like, all iLive mixracks and Surfaces are compatible with each other even in dual mixrack mode.

Note: Surface audio can only be sourced from input DSP channels 1-64

Also note: Input DSP channels 1-64 have to be sourced from input sockets from the master mixrack. Input DSP channels 65- 128 have to be sourced from the Slave mixrack input sockets.

Let me know if you have anymore questions or ideas about dual mixrack

Hope this helps

Best regards
    Sam A&H

teknik99
    Participant

Thanks Sam,

Thats looking real good anjust in time as I’m about to jump in to digital.

Quote:
    [/Also note: Input DSP channels 1-64 have to be sourced from input sockets from the master mixrack. Input DSP channels 65- 128 have to be sourced from the Slave mixrack input sockets.
    ]
    Does this mean if we are using 2 x IDR48 that we use input sockets 1 – 48 on master and input socket 1 on Slave becomes channel 65?

Cheers

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi

quote:

Does this mean if we are using 2 x IDR48 that we use input sockets 1 – 48 on master and input socket 1 on Slave becomes channel 65?

Yes for control of all analogue pre-amps with 2 x iDR48’s you will need to use 1-48 for the master and 65-112 for the slave mixrack.

There is a way of tunneling audio between the mixracks so Input DSP channel 49-64 can be sourced from the slave mixrack input sockets but there is a limitaion. You will only have access to a digital trim control not the analogue gain.

There will be more information available soon about advanced applications for Dual mixrack setup.

Hope this helps

All the best
    Sam A&H

teknik99
    Participant

Thanks Sam

Your help is much appreciated.

Its probably not a big deal engineers are just going to have to get used to the sytem being 1 – 48 & then 65 – 112

Cheers

Profile photo of Clintage
    Clintage
    Participant

I’m pretty much new to iLive T… what will the Firmware 1.60 dual rack do for us?

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

This looks good at least to get things moving. I can see two scenarios playing out:
    1. engineer needs > 48 (+surface12) channels of input and therefore gets 2 MixRacks running in Master/Slave.

2. Engineer wants more other stuff and so therefore uses second mixrack NOT as slave but independent with Computer or second surface control (e.g. R72) and uses the Port B ES connection to tie the systems together as though patched. This way he gets to submix e.g. for strings / choirs Glam metal drum kits, extra FX that can be added to these sub mixes and also, with good planning, group and route from the MixRack1-2 for extra output busses.

I really like the way this is so versatile and getting better as we go.

Oh, what happens when you want to have a mix with a direct connection from an input overlaid on the mix output (Alt. input?) – this won’t work with the Master/Slave set up will it?

How about: Mixes in Master can be mirrored on Slave and the Alt Input can be added from slave.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.