ups

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of guyharris guyharris 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of anthony
    anthony
    Participant

Having purchesed a budget ups i have since been told that most of these would not be reproducing a genuine sine wave. My question to any one who can answer is. Will this cause any problems for the psu on a T80/IDR32 ?

Anthony
    Susst
    T80/IDR32

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Hi Anthony just checked the APC website (I use APC devices) they state the output waveform is a sign wave and 47-53Hz for 50Hz. I could imagine these sign waves to have a few rough edges though.
    The best way to check the output is with an Oscilloscope but as the device you use (I assume) is intended for use with a computer, and I believe both the iLIve and most PC’s use Switched Mode type PSU’s I would assume them to be compatible.
    I have in the past run my iLive from the APC units I have (one for the mix rack and another for the surface)with no problems whatsoever. If you are still concerned I suggest you contact the technical help guys at the factory they are very helpful and understanding, they have to be, they put up with my questions.
    Final thought is,if you are still concerned there are a number of resellers on the web of refurbished UPS devices from top manufacturers. These come with new batteries and guarantee’s, however usually some of the case trim is missing. They could also be last years model if you get my drift. However this does allow you to have a very high quality product at a very reasonable price, even if you have to be a bit creative with the front panel.[:D]

Profile photo of anthony
    anthony
    Participant

Cheers for your reply Mr B have taken your advice and e,mailed A/H technical guys .It is indeed a computer ups made by trust . The manual say that its output is a sine wave 47~60hz but i have been told that they are a modified sine wave so thought id better ask before using it. Will let you all know what they say when they get back to me.

Regards Anthony
    Susst
    T80/IDR32

Profile photo of anthony
    anthony
    Participant

The reply from the guys at A/H
    Regarding the sinewave issue, you should be fine even if the UPS generates a saw-tooth or clipped sine wave. The iLive PSUs have bridge rectifiers which feed 400V reservoir capacitors, which should be more than adequate for the this.

I hope this is of help.

Best Regards
    Allen & Heath Technical Support
    Regards Anthony
    Susst
    T80/IDR32

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Well that all turned out for the best then. Good idea to check though.
    Have you got a UPS at each end? I have one fitted to both my on stage rack which contains the iDR10 with two PSU’s as well as a Network Switch with Fibre optic interface. Also a UPS in the FOH rack which contains another Network switch with Fibre interface, Wireless access point so I can use the laptop whilst EQ’ing the room, spare PSU (iPS10) for the surface as well as an output from the UPS for the onboard mains input on the surface. The CD and the CDR in the rack I do not feed from the UPS.
    I use the APC rackmount (2U) 1400 VA UPS this has loads of reserve so even on the odd occasion when I need 2 complete iLive systems I can power those as well.

Have fun

Profile photo of anthony
    anthony
    Participant

Yea well worth the time to e mail A/H. They answered quickly as well . No i only have 1 x 800va ups in the rack supplying the IDR 32 at the min.

Regards Anthony
    Susst
    T80/IDR32

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Hi Anthony think I would go down the route of another UPS, silly example I was messing around in the workshop last week trying out a new configuration, local mains to the industrial estate went off for 10 minutes no drama a few beeps from the UPS’s but carried on working.

Mr. B.

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

i never had a problem useing a usually computer ups in my studio enviroment. i can´t imagine that there should be a problem with the ilive-system. the 19″ ups´s are much better build than my “home-ups” from trust.

greetings, timo

Profile photo of guyharris
    guyharris
    Participant

An old thread, but we had great success with our 19″ UPS. It normally runs the whole
    FoH rack, which is basically every except the amps. It runs for about 7 minutes before we lose everything, which is enough. It is currently being refurbished, and we’re adding a Furman conditioner between the UPS and the iLive on its return.

http://www.pianojam.nl

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.