Ethernet audio connectivity: ACE, AVB, Dante, ES

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Ethernet audio connectivity: ACE, AVB, Dante, ES

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 14 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

As far as I can see now, also the ACE standard, seems to be a Ethernet layer 1 protocol (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_over_Ethernet), resulting in the fact that propriety routers have to be used.

Why not implement a layer2 or layer3 protocol so standard Ethernet hubs and switches can be used in the audio-network and the same cable to connect the Editor laptop can also be used to transport the audio to the recording software on any computer in the network? I wouldn’t even mind to replace CAT5 by CAT6 and gigabit-Ethernet for this to work :-)
    The means are there to make the iLive series an absolute Yamaha-crasher in the digital mixing world, so why not do it :-)

Any thoughts or comments?

Wouter

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Wouter

The article you linked to is a bit misleading. Ethersound is actually a Layer 2 protocol, according to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model, making use of MAC addresses, etc. ACE is also a Layer 2 protocol. As such, both are compatible with general purpose Layer 2 switching hardware, although cheaper devices may struggle with the extremely high bandwidth requirement.

Newer, higher-level protocols already exist that would allow the laptop set up you describe, the major new one being https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Bridging. We always keep up to date with new technologies like this, with a view to how they could be utilised in future products.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the clarification. Indeed, I also noted the error in that first article.

Well, what you say about ACE being layer2 makes me even more curious, are you thinking about creating a PCI or PCIe-ACE card or a PCMCIA version to get our audio into the computer/laptop, or would that step be skipped to get to an AVB-compliant product offering rightaway? I would be extremely interested in that option, especially since you manage to market your ACE-interfaces at a lower pricepoint than other multichannel solutions like MADI or Ethersound or even ADAT…

Anyone with me on this?

Wouter

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

particularly if this ACE to computer interface is bi-directional

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ahjeff

Hi Wouter
    …Newer, higher-level protocols already exist that would allow the laptop set up you describe, the major new one being https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Bridging. We always keep up to date with new technologies like this, with a view to how they could be utilised in future products…

Hi Jeff,

I just read that Audinate with their Dante solution is also ready for AVB, found this press release:

Sydney, Australia and Portland, Ore. Oct 6, 2009 – Audinate announced that its Dante™ networking solution, the Dante-MY16-AUD card, has won the 2009 EDN Innovation award in Australia for Best Application of Field Programmable Logic. The Dante-MY16-AUD card is the latest in the series of advanced implementations of patent pending Dante networking solutions.

The Dante-MY16-AUD card uses a single field programmable logic device to offer a full implementation of Dante. The Dante-MY16-AUD is compatible with MY16 slots on all Yamaha mixing consoles, power amplifiers, and DSP’s. The card, developed by Audinate, is available worldwide from Yamaha and its distributors.

“We are honored to be recognized for innovation by EDN. We specifically chose the Xilinx FPGA implementation because it also gave us flexibility in the future to upgrade and enhance our Dante networking solution” said Chris Ware, VP of Engineering at Audinate. “This implementation will allow us to field upgrade customers who wish to support upcoming standards such as AVB”.

Dante networking solutions provides ultra-high performance media transport with sample-accurate synchronization and sub-millisecond latency. Since devices and channels are automatically discovered and easy to program, Dante is the easiest digital networking solution to install and configure. Overall, Dante offers a complete networking solution and provides users a no-hassle, self-configuring digital audio networking experience using standard Internet Protocols over 100Mb and/or Gigabit Ethernet.

About Audinate

Audinate revolutionizes the way that AV systems are connected by transporting high quality media over standard IT networks. Using Audinate’s patent pending networking solution, digital media networking just got easy. Audinate’s solution has been licensed by customers across the AV industry and can be found in installations and live sound applications globally. Audinate offices are located in US and Australia. Visit http://www.audinate.com for the latest news and information on the company.

Seems to be the exact answer to my initial question, doesn’t it?
    So, hope to see that iLive Dante interface soon :-)))

Wouter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.