ILive T Series, Your experiences

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions ILive T Series, Your experiences

This topic contains 18 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kentlowt kentlowt 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robert-Ritchie
    Robert-Ritchie
    Participant

I would love to hear from anyone who is using, or has used, the iLive T series system. I am considering purchasing a T112 with an iDR-48. I would love to hear everyones experiences and findings (both good and bad), how it sounds, how usable it is, how fast it is to mix on and set-up and anything else. I would be using the system for everything from classical to rock and roll, theater, conference and anything else that comes along.

R Ritchie

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

all i can say so far after my purchase of a T112 is this:
    I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE!

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Robert jump in with both feet, I have been using iLives ever since their introduction and I have used them on just about everything from school productions to full Prog Rock over the top stage shows. Opera to 80’s funk and they always deliver.
    My only complaint I wish they had more inputs, often 64 is just not enough. FX are great, Dynamics suit me, could do with a multiband unit like a BSS 901 though. I have found them to be very reliable and extremely flexible. I think they sound great which is a bonus.[8D]

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Robert – Just get it ordered! you will not regret it – We do all sorts of events – everything from corporate AV, Bands, Concerts to Theatre productions etc. One of my main concerns was the scene capability for Theatre shows however with current firmware (vers 1.5 or greater) the scenes can be customised to include or exclude what you need to store. There are a few things that are still missing that would be a good – as Mr B said a multiband compressor would be good. You still can’t side chain the compressors so you can’t to ducking etc but these features and other requests are known to A & H and are likely to show up in future firmware upgrades. A&H support has been fantastic with listening to end user requests and technical issues. I had a problem after a firmware upgrade due to customised network address’s and this was quickly sorted via the support site and the issue was fixed in the following firmware release. I think they sound great, are easy to use, and with the wireless laptop capability/ Digital snake offer features and power not available from any other manufacturer in the price range (to date anyway).

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    T112/ IDR48

Profile photo of schaibaa
    schaibaa
    Participant

I just got mine Wednesday (T112/iDR-48). I used it at a show 1 hour after it showed up on a pallet.

First: Sounds AMAZING… really nicer than the other digi desks I’ve used. I don’t have any experience with an SC48 or PM5d.. LS9/StudioLive/01v/Some Roland thing.

Second: Very flexible — you can make it do just about anything. Downside, you have to tell it EXACTLY what to do.

I like it a lot.. don’t know what else to say. Couldn’t be happier so far.

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

We received a demo unit Thursday set it up for a show on friday and our worship service on Sunday from scratch. Friday was a small show with 3 tenors and a grand piano. It was so clear that within 10 seconds I knew I had chosen the wrong microphones for the night lol. Today we ran the first music service with it some 30 channels worth of sound. I had people that wore hearing aids coming up to me and telling me how much clearer it sounded than our old board. The bass is huge and open not muddy but, warm at the same time. We were at least 4db louder than we normally are and yet it didn’t seem that way. In fact a man with hearing aids who works the lights normal has issues with them cutting off during the music every now and then did not have one cut off during the service today. It was easy to hear where things needed adjusting. I loved the eq. I even got a lavaliere microphone to sound really good which has not been an easy task in the past. The speakers voice was nice and clear.

I think it took max a couple of hours to learn the board and set up both shows from scratch(this was the first time I had ever laid my eyes on this mixer). I really didn’t watch the time so it could have been less. It wouldn’t have taken me but 3 minutes but, alas I set up the shows in the 1.6 editor and the demo unit was 1.54 so it couldn’t read the shows till I had time to upgrade the firmware on Saturday. I find the layout simple and so did most of our volunteers. It does take some thought though while mixing I kept forgetting to select a channel before changing the settings on it so I ended up changing another channels settings by mistake but, with time and practice that should happen less.

I am very pleased with it so far. Tuesday is rehearsal and I will be doing some more detailed work rather than the thrown together shows I did today. I will be digging through the effects and using the RTA. So there you have it classical vocalist and a rock & roll worship service. It passed both with flying colors.

Profile photo of simonstpauli
    simonstpauli
    Participant

I’ve used a T80/iDR32 for quite some time. I’m all happy (with a few complaints like insufficient EQ facilities for speech reinforcement, I hope there will be an insert PEQ soon).
    For band wirk it’s great, took the small package out on a support tour, loved the Cat5-multicore, the light weight surface and the features. Will take a T112 on a club-tour, FOH and 11 mixes of monitor with PL remotes for the band. It’s on my “want to have on a gig” list.

Christian Tepfer
    Hamburg, Germany

Profile photo of fcb
    fcb
    Participant

1) We play some tight venues and some venues where having traditional snake is displeasing to the clients. So I LOVE the digital snake (ACE).

2) I love the features of a digital board. To be fair, most digital boards have these features. But I like:
    – tons of mixes, tons of DCAs
    – compressor, eq, gate, on each channel…. yep now I have 32 compressor!!!!!
    – 8 fx
    – great for a variety of venues – we use it mostly for a rock n roll band with horns but we easily created a show for a high school musical/theatre setting.
    – you can set up the mixer off line using a laptop or one the mixer itself
    – ability to get a card and use digital protocols such as adat, aviom, etc.

3) What do I like particular about the iliveT over other comparable digital mixers:
    – The A&H team listens to their customers and implements features that they request. I urge you to participate in the forums and put in your wish list. One of the features the ilive did not have at the time I bought it was a tap tempo but on the user defined keys. One of the later firmware versions added this feature.
    – The system is modular and you can mix and match surfaces and mixracks. Furthermore you can slowly build your system: you can get a mixrack first then get a surface later.
    – digital snake
    – ability to control the mixrack from either the desk and/or laptop at the same time. This allows you to walk around and tweak things such as speaker delays, eq, etc. I also use a laptop to mix monitors from the stage.
    – If power or a connectionis lost to the mixer, the mix rack continues to pass audio
    – If power is lost to the mixrack then restored, the mixrack starts passing audio in about 10 seconds.
    – The interface is much easier to use than an LS9.

4) What are some Cons

– We had a preamp was acting bad (most likey the gain control circuitry). However, A&H replaced the card. Furthermore, we did NOT have to send the mixrack back. They sent us a card and we replaced it ourselves thus saving shipping time. So although we had a problem, A&H handled it without giving us the run around. The problem was not a show stopper in our case. I have heard of LS9’s freezing up during live shows.

– If you were an early adopter of the ilive, you might have to buy a new scb (1.5ghz vs 1.0ghz) so that the latest version(1,61) works. Lucky for me, I don’t have this problem (whew). However, I do feel like early adopters are being be penalized for buying the first surfaces. To me, the early adopters took the risk and believed in the Ilive series and they should have their boards replaced by A&H without a charge. Fortunately it is my understanding that there are few of these early surfaces out there.

– The T Series does not come with a case. A&H does not offer a case to purchase.. You will need to spend around $1000 to get a high quality case custom built. We purchased one from Olympic case. We gave them the specs and the case fits like a glove.

– I would have liked to see some of the outputs on the surface be xlr instead of trs.

– Output cards are avaialble but must be purchased separately. I purchased the Mult out card for the IDR series. It is very hard to find. The part numbers for the mini multi out varies from dealer to dealer. A&H lists it as M-MMO-A on their web site. Searching for M-MMO-A on the fullcompass.com site yields no results. Fullcompass lists the part number as M-MINI-MOUT-A. The card sells for $699 which I think is overpriced. However, I had no choice but to buy it so I could do live recordings. Fullcompass was the only place I could find it. Other dealers acted like I was smoking crack when I tried to explain what I was looking for. So this card was a bit tough to purchase.

Misconceptions about the Ilive T:

The problem with the ilive T series is that people compare it to a variety of products without keeping the playing field level.

Misconception #1 – The LS9 costs less for a similar product

First of all, the T series is comparable in price to digital mixers such as the yamaha LS9. However, the ilive is much better in my opinion. One of the big advantages is that the ilive has a digial snake. Its actually ACE which has some control and audio both so its not exactly a digital snake. However, the bottom line is that you have a single piece of Cat5 cable instead of an analog snake. If you get an LS9, you need to buy a say a 32 or 48 channel snake to make it comparably equivalent to an ilive T. Further more, if you do want to use a digital snake with an LS9, you would be spending several thousand dollars more for. I personally like the ilive T series better than the ls9 plus it already has a digital snake. So the street price of the ls9 is lower than the ilive T112 with a mixrack, the T112 + mixrack is a better value.

Misconception #2 – “The Ilive T is not rider friendly. Get a PM5D”

I do not argue that the Yamaha, digidesign, etc are probably at the top or riders. I don’t think that it is fair to say that the ilive T is not rider friendly when the rider calls for PM5D. You are comparing apples to oranges. The PM5D is tens of thousands of dollars more than an ilive T.

The ilive T costs *little* bit more than an LS9.
    The ilive T costs *ALOT* less than a PM5D.

You will hear these arguments to get an LS9 but remember you don’t get a digital snake.

Then you will hear people argue get a PM5d, venue, etc. instead of an ilive T when you only considering an LS9 to begin with.

I hope a presented a fair and balanced opinion of the ilive T. All in all I am very happy with my ilive T112 and the IDR32 mixrack. The ilive T series has TONS of pros and just a few cons. There is not product that is absolutely perfect. The good thing here is that A&H respects the wishes of the users via comminucation on their forums and they are constantly improving the ilive series. I would recommend buying it!

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

our experience has been excellent, a few points spring to mind:
    – the before and after sales support was fantastic. It may have helped being the first purchaser in Western Australia, but still, excellent demo opportunities, great deal and now they are doing all the can to look after us while we organise a replacement as the current one got saturated in the recent storms – it was still dripping 4 days later :(
    – great number of mixes and the changeable config is a great feature. It is still possible to wish for more but currently having FOH with internal pseudo X-over and EQ, 6 mono FB sends, 9 stereo auxillaries for IEM, OB etc, and 4 general FX + 4 inserted ones: fantastic.
    – the only current competition I think are the new Digico SD9 and possibly the Soundcraft Vi1 rather than the yamaha offering which are very restrictive in operation and configuration although you _can_ use matrices as mixes which is nice.
    – very usable FX, EQ and Dynamics
    – The Preamps get noisy if you turn them up too much so, not having gain above 30 dB seems to be best.
    – expansion options as everything will talk to everything else is great for linking rooms, and so on.

I recommended something that we will keep long term and I am not disappointed.

Profile photo of Geep
    Geep
    Participant

I’ve had a T112/IDR48 combo since fall of 2009, and am very satisfied. Our company does a variety of show types including orchestra, choral, and musical theater, just finished “The Music Man” with lots of wireless mikes, and the system ran flawlessly (aside from the operator making some mistakes, grin). The CAT5 connectivity was a big selling point, as was the human engineering that A&H uses. An easy desk to learn the basics, does take some time to learn it all.

Customer support from A&H is unparalleled. They are responsive and interested in keeping you as a customer after the sale. My T112 lost the first 8 electronic scribble strips early on. I got a personal call from A&H’s national sales manager, and a replacement within a couple of days. That’s service.

I, too, had difficulties in finding a case, but finally had one made from specs by Crown Case Company in Charlotte, NC. Joe does nice work with reasonable prices, and can build anything you want. Not quickly, mind you, seems to be pretty busy, but the end result was excellent.

I think the T series boards are the best kept secret in the industry, head and shoulders above the LS9, as good as or better than the MC7 at a better price, probably the most reasonably priced system for the features out there. Good job A&H, I love my iLive.

Geep Howell
    HH Audio, Inc.
    Lynchburg, VA

Profile photo of Focus-Studio
    Focus-Studio
    Participant

we are very pleased from T series and the guys at A&H are still develop the product and thats the most importand !
    very good quality made in England low price quick and easy to learn not to heavy very good sound etc etc etc

Profile photo of FortMacTech
    FortMacTech
    Participant

Our church purchased a T112 and 32×16 stage rack 3 weeks ago. Very impressed with the ease of use and the excellent sound that it produces. It has multiple ways of performing various tasks and each person can set up their own preferences. The only drawback we found was there is no preamp on the surface so we can’t run a condenser mic directly from FOH. It is a minor issue but worth noting.

Love the unit, buy it you won’t be disappointed!

iDR32 T112

Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

The talkback input on the surface has 48v. You can use a condensor here, albeit with limited routing etc. etc. I’ve used it for VOG announcements and so forth.
    Darren

Profile photo of wavemakersdj
    wavemakersdj
    Participant

I echo many of the good responses from this system and how powerful it is. I may be the only one to experience it yet, but I will say the church I run the board for had to send back the first console they got because of a freak-out in the middle of a show. the board lit up like a Christmas tree and the rack defaulted to the last configuration it was given. Luckily, with the system being able to run off a computer, we finished the show with the laptop setup. How many system can you say will have a major problem and still be able to function? A&H was great about getting things taken care of, and we are now back up and running. I would def recommend, just realize that with a new system such as this, there me be kinks here and there that will be worked on.

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

Having had one T112/iDR48 (well two really – the first got water damaged) for close to 6 months now at our church, it is still great. We have our own strip layouts and I am getting into using scenes to quickly change for items and will be setting up scenes for FX changes for particular songs.

We will be rebuilding our config from the ground up now that things have settled and look forward to plenty of happy services.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.